Apple adds WebM Web Audio support to Safari in latest iOS 15 beta

Posted:
in iOS edited August 2021
Apple's latest iOS 15 beta includes options to enable the WebM audio codec in Safari, hinting at full integration when the operating system launches this fall.

iOS 15 Safari

Currently available as an option in the Experimental WebKit Features section of Safari's advanced settings, WebM Web Audio and the related WebM MSE parser are two parts of the wider WebM audiovisual media file format developed by Google.

An open-source initiative, WebM presents a royalty-free alternative to common web video streaming technology and serves as a container for the VP8 and VP9 video codecs. As it relates to Safari, WebM Web Audio provides support for the Vorbis and Opus audio codecs.

Code uncovered by 9to5Mac reveals the WebM audio codec should be enabled by default going forward, suggesting that Apple will officially adopt the standard when iOS 15 sees release.

Apple added support for the WebM video codec on Mac when a second macOS Big Sur 11.3 beta was issued in February. The video portion of WebM has yet to see implementation on iOS, but that could soon change with the adoption of WebM's audio assets.

WebM dates back to 2010, but Apple has been reluctant to bake the format into its flagship operating systems. Late co-founder Steve Jobs once called the format "a mess" that "wasn't ready for prime time."

As AppleInsider noted when WebM hit macOS, Apple might be angling to support high-resolution playback from certain streaming services like YouTube, which rely on VP9 to stream 4K content. The validation of WebM Web Audio is a step in that direction.

Apple is expected to launch iOS 15 this fall alongside a slate of new iPhone and Apple Watch models.

Read on AppleInsider
wwinter86

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Playback doesn't seem to be working yet in latest beta even though there is the option in settings. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member

WebM dates back to 2010, but Apple has been reluctant to bake the format into its flagship operating systems. Late co-founder Steve Jobs once called the format "a mess" that "wasn't ready for prime time."
    It was a mess at the time given the potential for patent infringement.  That was settled a while ago, but Apple (and the rest of the industry) already had H.264.  So no real reason to add support until something required it.
    Jayaighwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    auxio said:

It was a mess at the time given the potential for patent infringement.  That was settled a while ago, but Apple (and the rest of the industry) already had H.264.  So no real reason to add support until something required it.
    Thanks for the insight @auxio. Now I wonder... what would require support for WebM audio?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    auxio said:

https://www.ionos.com/digitalguide/websites/website-creation/webm/
    WebM is open-sourced, no cost, easier to deploy, and mobile device friendlier.

On the other hand H.264 and H.265 licensing has become a bit of a mystery, lots of questions about whether licensed integrators actually have full rights to use it, and quite the turnabout from a few years ago when MPEG LA pushed the story that it was Google and VP-9 with the problem.

"Many multi-channel video providers say a major cause of the delay in deployments is that there are currently three patent pools representing different companies, making royalties difficult to understand. These organizations include MPEG LA (which includes Apple, Canon, JVC Kenwood, and Samsung..."

Plus another separate pool claiming ownership:
     "HEVC Advance (including Dolby Labs Mitsubishi Electric Corp., Samsung Electronics, and Warner Bros. Entertainment)"

and yet a THIRD:
    "Velos Media (including Ericsson, Panasonic, Qualcomm, Sharp and Sony) EricssonPanasonicQualcomm, Sharp and Sony).
    https://www.thebroadcastbridge.com/content/entry/11204/to-deploy-hevc-users-must-choose-what-patent-pool-to-dive-into

Way too many fingers and dollars and restrictions, making WebM a far more simple solution with no real downsides other than support which is fast spreading. 
    edited August 2021 muthuk_vanalingamjony0
  • Reply 5 of 10
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Jayaigh said:
    auxio said:

Thanks for the insight @auxio. Now I wonder... what would require support for WebM audio?
    YouTube Music probably.  Maybe not "require", but I bet Google prefers it, and maybe only offers higher bitrates in WebM, similar to how YouTube (video) was previously resolution limited unless using WebM video.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    How does it add value to to put an auto-playing video popup of unrelated content over a major chunk of my cell phone screen? Which is difficult to impossible to tap closed?

williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 10
    gatorguy said:
    auxio said:

You don't need to run the ad campaign, I understand the business model.  Google has essentially devalued every technology they've encountered by cloning it, open sourcing their cloned version, giving it away to the world, and looking like a hero.  They can do this because they're an advertising company, not a technology company.  The problem is, anyone who does want to start a company which actually researches, develops, and tries to sell technology as a product has to worry about being cloned and owned too.  Which is why most have turned to data mining for their main revenue stream.

I get that the licensing model for video codecs was convoluted.  But fundamentally, I believe that research and development of technology is worth something.  If you don't like the cost/terms of use, negotiate or shop around.  But I guess I'm a relic of the era where most technology creators had a level of respect for other creators.
    edited August 2021 Jayaighwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 8 of 10
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    auxio said:
    gatorguy said:
    auxio said:

You don't need to run the ad campaign, I understand the business model.  Google has essentially devalued every technology they've encountered by cloning it, open sourcing their cloned version, giving it away to the world, and looking like a hero.  They can do this because they're an advertising company, not a technology company.  The problem is, anyone who does want to start a company which actually researches, develops, and tries to sell technology as a product has to worry about being cloned and owned too.  Which is why most have turned to data mining for their main revenue stream.

I get that the licensing model for video codecs was convoluted.  But fundamentally, I believe that research and development of technology is worth something.  If you don't like the cost/terms of use, negotiate or shop around.  But I guess I'm a relic of the era where most technology creators had a level of respect for other creators.
    It's obvious Apple generally agrees with Google on the benefits of an open-sourced no-cost codec competing with MPEG LA.. They joined them in further development of it three years ago. 
    Cheap bastards. 
    https://blog.streamroot.io/apple-joins-av1/
    edited August 2021 jony0
  • Reply 9 of 10
    gatorguy said:
    auxio said:
    gatorguy said:
    auxio said:

It's obvious Apple generally agrees with Google on the benefits of an open-sourced no-cost codec competing with MPEG LA.. They joined them in further development of it three years ago. 
    Cheap bastards. 
    https://blog.streamroot.io/apple-joins-av1/
    The Oracle/Sun v Google case over Java pretty much settled any notions of trying to challenge Google's approach to technology development.  Apple's not dumb, and didn't have much stake in the codec game.
    edited August 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    auxio said:
    gatorguy said:
    auxio said:

Wow... I never realised this situation. Thanks for waking me up.
    watto_cobra