'iPhone 13' launch may feature 'Time to Run' for 'Apple Watch Series 7'

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Apple's fall launches could include more than the "iPhone 13" and new AirPods, with the updated "Apple Watch Series 7" expected to bring with it an update to the Time to Walk feature to support running.

Apple launched its Time to Walk workouts in January, enabling subscribers of Apple Fitness to listen to celebrities such as Dolly Parton and Shawn Mendes as they walked for exercise. It seems that Apple is planning to expand on the concept before the end of 2021.

As part of Mark Gurman's forecast for the fall Apple launches for the Bloomberg "Power On" newsletter, an explanation of the changes to the "Apple Watch Series 7" includes a discussion about Time to Walk. Sources allegedly told Gurman that Apple was preparing variations of the feature, including "the self-explanatory Time to Run and Audio Meditations."

The "Apple Watch Series 7" is expected to include a "bit of a redesign," with a flatter display and upgraded screen technology, along with a faster chip. Other rumors point to an expansion of sleep tracking functionality, as well as 5G connectivity, and even speculation of glucose monitoring.

Gurman agrees the main launch will be the "iPhone 13," which will largely feature better cameras and more performance, while retaining the previous model's design. "In other words, a classic Apple S' model," He offers.

In terms of specific details, Gurman believes the same 5.4-inch and 6.1-inch screen sizes will be used for the regular models while the Pros will have 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch displays. A smaller notch will be used at the top of the screen, as previous rumors have already declared.

A switch in display technology will allow 120Hz ProMotion to be included in the Pro models, while the A15 chip will be faster than the A14, with the same core counts. Camera capabilities will include a video Portrait mode called "Cinematic Video," ProRes video recording, and an "AI-driven filter system" to apply different styles to photographs.

AirPods will also appear, with a third-generation model said to be closer in design to the AirPods Pro, complete with a new in-ear shape and shorter stems.

A refreshed iPad mini will also be on the way, with a complete redesign incorporating thinner borders. A slimmer ninth-generation iPad is also touted.

The rumored MacBook Pro revamp for the 14-inch and 16-inch models with M1X chips is still on the cards, but Gurman mentions there have been production delays. The two are expected to go on sale "by the time the current MacBook Pro hits its two-year anniversary."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Does Apple typically offer last year’s model at a discount at the Apple Store when the new iPhone’s are released? 
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Does Apple typically offer last year’s model at a discount at the Apple Store when the new iPhone’s are released? 
    Often but not a guarantee. A lot will depend on inventory. IME best times are Jan/Feb (after holiday) and slowest sales time which is usually Apple's Q3 (calendar Q2). On this second one, I got the GPS only Watch S6 in mid May, 319$. I also got APPs at 189 late May. Both were lowest or closest to lowest prices all time But I just saw here on AI S6 hit near flat 300$. I'd be surprised if Jan/Feb we don't see S6 possibly get a bit below 300. But this year may not be the year for it. Part shortages + Apple's sales have been gigantic. Their builds have barely been keeping with demand on a number of products. If if sales are titanic again this Holiday season, deals may not materialize.   

Ultimately, IMHO, If you can afford it just set up an email alert at Slickdeals for new lowest price(look to see what is the last lowest price they've seen too). Also keep an eye out here at AI. When you see something in the ballpark of that price, jump on it right when it happens.  Again, if you can afford it, the 25 bucks you might save just isn't worth the long wait and chance that you'll have waited for no deal to materialize. 
    applguypulseimages
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Apple with YoY huge sale increases, something they likely couldn't anticipate just 18 months ago. That accompanied with some part shortages and supply chain transport constraints too. Apple has a lot on their plate in the next few months: iPhone 13 line, new AirPods, new Watch S7, new MX/M2 series MB Pro larger screen versions, OS 15(and other OS release), There's a suggestion of a new iPad Mini release but that feels like a bridge too far right now.
    This is approaching the neighborhood of a 1/10th of a trillion dollars in new products to be launched by within 5 to 10 weeks->put to market by Christmas. I have my doubts that all can happen in this environment. But we'll see...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    LOL "Time to run" sounds vaguely omnious and dystopian.

An alert is newsworthy? An alert needs a new phone and new watch to be released? I have every alert like this turned off on my Apple Watch as well as that goofy bubble UI. Annoyed with the constant nag of time to breathe, time to stand, time to sleep PLUS whatever any app feels like they need to tell me. Maybe it sells watches but its like ooh-ing and ahh-ing for amenities I wont use for an ovepriced apartment. Whoop is on to something with their minimal strap but without a display its TOO minimal and its $360/yr subscription is overpriced. The market is ready for a more affordable Apple device somwhere between Whoop and Watch. And by market, I mean me.
    edited August 2021 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 5 of 7
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

Typically,  but 3rd parties like BestBuy and online vendors who sponser ai (like B&H, Adorama, etc) tend to offer bigger discounts on prior models in the weeks after the new one is released.  The Apple store is always going to be the highest priced store for Apple products -- nobody ever sells higher but many sell at a lower price.

The advantage of the Apple is store is you get to look, feel and compare as well as get expert advice -- plus the aura.
    pulseimages
  • Reply 6 of 7
    LOL "Time to run" sounds vaguely omnious and dystopian.

An alert is newsworthy? An alert needs a new phone and new watch to be released? I have every alert like this turned off on my Apple Watch as well as that goofy bubble UI. Annoyed with the constant nag of time to breathe, time to stand, time to sleep PLUS whatever any app feels like they need to tell me. Maybe it sells watches but its like ooh-ing and ahh-ing for amenities I wont use for an ovepriced apartment. Whoop is on to something with their minimal strap but without a display its TOO minimal and its $360/yr subscription is overpriced. The market is ready for a more affordable Apple device somwhere between Whoop and Watch. And by market, I mean me.

It's not an alert.  But a type of workout where somebody yaps at you while you, in this case, run.
    I tried it with the walking but found music to be much more appealing.   For me, if I want talking, I'll pick a podcast.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Apple can do a lot with sleep tracking.   But, at least for me, the biggest thing is to eliminate a mandatory Do Not Disturb schedule. 

Most of my jobs required me to respond 24x7 when there was a problem -- so I simply could not have Do Not Disturb turned on.  These days I'm retired -- but I don't want to effectively turn off my phone at night -- if somebody wants to get in touch in the middle of the night they probably can't wait till I get the message in the morning.
    (Yeh, I know there are work arounds -- but they don't work if the person texting doesn't know them.)

The trouble is:  if you don't turn on the Do Not Disturb schedule, it won't track your sleep.