Purported 'Apple Watch Series 7' renders show larger speakers, iPhone 12-style straight ed...

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited August 2021
A new series of renders claim to show the "Apple Watch Series 7" casing, with the new images closely resembling previously reported leaks.

Claimed render of the forthcoming
Claimed render of the forthcoming "Apple Watch Series 7." No idea why it's such a dark image, though.

Apple has announced details of watchOS 8, currently in beta, but has yet to even confirm the "Apple Watch Series 7," outside of regulatory filings. However, a new report claims to back up the expectation that the new Apple Watch will take on certain design cues from the iPhone 12.

According to 91mobiles, the Watch will be more boxy and more straight-edged than previous models. The publication says that its source for the CAD renders has detailed the chassis specifications.

Reportedly, instead of the 10.7m thickness of the Apple Watch Series 6, the new model will be 9mm thick. The slimmer Watch will nonetheless feature larger speaker grills on the left hand side.

Other reports have said that the new Apple Watch will feature a flatter, more squared-off side. Still others have said that smaller components may be used, but rather than being used to reduce chassis thickness, it could allow for a bigger battery.

Another purported render of the
Another purported render of the "Apple Watch Series 7"

The new 91mobiles report is inconsistent, or perhaps just incomplete. It suggests that there may only be a 44mm model, but this could be just a lack of information.

While 91mobiles has only a short track record in Apple leaks, it did provide accurate details about the 2020 iPad Air. More recently, the publication has claimed to have renders showing "iPhone 13" models.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    thttht Posts: 5,630member
    Hmm, looks like old Watch bands could be compatible with this new form factor.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,426member
    tht said:
    Hmm, looks like old Watch bands could be compatible with this new form factor.

If this is accurate, I don't see any reason why not. Still has rounded corners.
    Thinner is nice. Might upgrade my S4.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    byronlbyronl Posts: 373member
    the same as jon prosser reported. the old one looked like jewelry. this one looks like a piece of tech. don’t like it 
    seanjdk49darkvader
  • Reply 4 of 17
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    As much as I like the straight edges on the phone (e.g. to stand it on edge) on a wearable it means shaper corners (e.g. when wearing it for sleep tracking in bed have fun with non-rounded edges), more nicks and wear, as friction and contact is reduced to much smaller surface areas.

NOT a good idea.
    seanjtwokatmewpscooter63darkvader
  • Reply 5 of 17
    If Apple wanted to innovate, they could try a round face as an option. That new Samsung watch looks sexy, has better features and the price is a lot lower than the Apple Watch. If it worked with an iPhone, I would be tempted.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    This seems like an unlikely interpretation of a non-rounded edge design. While the iPad/iPhone use this design language, this style on a watch is too easily scratched on the facing-side, and uncomfortable on the wearing-side - it's lose/lose.
    If they're changing the design to something with harder looking edges, it'll more likely involve a chamfered design which is typical for watch and jewellery design (and Apple have done this before with the iPhone 5.)
    pscooter63
  • Reply 7 of 17
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,075member
    If Apple wanted to innovate, they could try a round face as an option. That new Samsung watch looks sexy, has better features and the price is a lot lower than the Apple Watch. If it worked with an iPhone, I would be tempted.
    Nope, there’s plenty of actual innovation in the march of progress and features in the AW. Doing a round face isn’t inherently innovative, it’s just a change from the design decision of the current design. Personally I value the information display area of a rectangle and don’t need a watch trying to mimic a swinging arm design. 
    edited August 2021 mike1entropysroundaboutnowpatchythepirateseanjtwokatmewpscooter63applguydarkvader
  • Reply 8 of 17
    KBuffettKBuffett Posts: 102member
    Can’t see the old bands being compatible. Firstly, Apple does think about their bottom line. Secondly, it’s high time the straps incorporated sensors or other tech functionality.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,426member
    rcfa said:
    As much as I like the straight edges on the phone (e.g. to stand it on edge) on a wearable it means shaper corners (e.g. when wearing it for sleep tracking in bed have fun with non-rounded edges), more nicks and wear, as friction and contact is reduced to much smaller surface areas.

NOT a good idea.

Pretending for a moment that this rendering is even accurate, you will see that all the edges are still rounded. The sides themselves are flat, but this does not mean that you will feel razor blades slicing up your face while you sleep.
    roundaboutnowpatchythepiratefastasleeppscooter63rundhvid
  • Reply 10 of 17
    thttht Posts: 5,630member
    KBuffett said:
    Can’t see the old bands being compatible. Firstly, Apple does think about their bottom line. Secondly, it’s high time the straps incorporated sensors or other tech functionality.
    The Watch band slots in this render definitely look like they will be compatible to older bands. The slots are basically the same shape. The render doesn't show the size, so they may be incompatible due to size, but that is a strange thing to do. The two sizes they have now are the sweet spot.

Every once in a while, I think I'd like to have a larger Watch, like a 50mm model, but only if it is in landscape. The current 44mm is at my height limit I think. But, at 50mm would be approaching Wonder Woman bracelet sizes. What a wonderful world of unit mishmashing we have, Watch display sizes are in metric. Computer and TV display sizes are in imperial. Camera sensor sizes are in fractional imperial!
    rundhvid
  • Reply 11 of 17
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,274member
    Heck THt if you go landscape you could do a Stephen Bartowski (aka Orion).

On topic, I think it would be great if the Apple Watch, which I am in the market for, was more like my blue iPhone 12 mini, but I would worry about the damage a sharp upper edge would be subject to, especially in Alu. It would want a lot of camphoring, and then there is comfort on the bottom. I am sure those rather basic things have been thought through.

i guess I will have to wait and see, I do worry that a more flat, squared off look will make it less jewellery and more techy. We aren’t all geeks, despite my Chuck reference.
    edited August 2021 Hank2.0
  • Reply 12 of 17
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,452member
    Making a user interface worse is not innovation.
    seanjmike1leighrpscooter63darkvader
  • Reply 13 of 17
    byronl said:
    the old one looked like jewelry. this one looks like a piece of tech. don’t like it 
    I don't wear jewelery but I like tech. sign me up for the new watch.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Hank2.0Hank2.0 Posts: 151member
    Whoa...too much speculation over a dodgy image from an unconfirmed source.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    rune66rune66 Posts: 45member
    My god that looks ugly
    darkvader
  • Reply 16 of 17
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,430member
    Hank2.0 said:
    Whoa...too much speculation over a dodgy image from an unconfirmed source.
    Not a damn thing wrong with speculation over little actual info, unless you're dumb enough to present it as fact and even dumber to beilive it as fact. It's just discussion.

I like the look, and it would be nice to see a change in the case. There's also no reason Apple couldn't make that an actual production design and not keep the current watchbands compatible.

The most popular Watches are far from jewelry, and Apple is done marketing them as such. The Gold edition and polished Stainless are really the only two Watches that qualify as jewelry. Ok, maybe the ceramic. But that's a maybe.

I wouldn't mind seeing a round watch from Apple. Nothing wrong with having more than one style watch. Sure it would be a little less efficient it displaying pages of text, but not everybody needs to read War and Peace on their Watch. It doesn't seem likely to me that Apple will make a round Watch, but not everybody needs a saloon when a coupe will do. And some people actually own both.

A real freshening of the Watch lineup is overdue. The slab side render and a round Watch could be additions (without the price of an Edition) and still leave the iconic shape in the lineup.

I'd like to see a polished Yellow Gold (not Rose Gold nor 'solid' Gold) Watch, and have Apple bring back that great leather band they had in the early days. 

Apple makes a decent looking smart/fitness watch. I want an Watch that actually looks like a piece of jewelry, an elegant Watch with some elegant watch faces to match. An elegant tool for a more civilized age.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    "Innovate"? This is imbecilic. There are very good reasons why Apple chose a rectangular screen. It's vastly superior for reading texts, emails, notifications, etc. Changing that for some kind of vague numbskull notion of being more "innovative" is ludicrous. Do you even know what "innovation" is?

As Steve said, "design is how it works". 
    thtfastasleep