iPad with titanium chassis reportedly on the horizon

Posted:
in iPad
Apple could introduce an iPad using a titanium chassis, a future change to the tablet line that could make it lighter and more resilient to everyday use.

Apple is thought to be working on an updated iPad that it could launch before the end of 2021. While that iPad is seemingly on the way, it is claimed that Apple is already looking to the next generation, and beyond.

The 2021 iPad will be using an aluminum-alloy chassis processed by PVD, according to a report from DigiTimes. The 9th-generation model won't have significant design changes when it's unveiled this fall, but report sources say it will help increase iPad shipments to around 60 million units for 2021.

However, the same sources tell the report that the aluminum-alloy may get replaced in a future revision of the iPad. It is claimed the company is looking to introducing a titanium-based metal chassis to the device.

While doing so can offer many benefits to the product line, such as enabling thinner and lighter designs while maintaining structural integrity, Apple hasn't gone down that route. It is thought that the high cost of production makes the idea an uneconomical one for the iPad lineup at its current price point.

The iPad reports follow analyst claims from July that Apple will use a titanium alloy chassis or internal frame in the "Pro" models of the "iPhone 14."

DigiTimes is a reliable source of data from within Apple's supply chain, but is less accurate as it pertains to Apple's specific plans. This part of Friday's report is more the former, than the latter.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    It makes sense that a sturdier material will be needed if they move to a glass back as rumored. Hopefully they can also make them thinner. It's such a cool experience to have something so functional in such small and thin package, and it's something only apple can really pull off.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 16
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    I’d vote not to employ a strategic metal in a consumer product.  Unless someone has recently found a rich supply of Titanium ore somewhere in a friendly country. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 16
    I’d vote not to employ a strategic metal in a consumer product.  Unless someone has recently found a rich supply of Titanium ore somewhere in a friendly country. 
    Titanium is quite abundant and easy to find. It's just difficult and expensive to refine. Don't forget, Apple has already used titanium in the past, namely the Powerbook G4 Titanium twenty years ago.
    edited August 2021 patchythepiratenetroxfirelockwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 16
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    This is one far out rumor. As others have said, why would Apple use a material that it uses as a premium feature in the Watch in a bottom end $300 iPad?

From the headlines, I thought the titanium was going to be for an iPad Pro, which makes some sense. Lo and behold, article is about the low end iPad. So, you can probably chalk this one as a supply chain rumor where leakers do not understand what Apple is contracting.

pscooter63muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 16
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    Actually, titanium is everywhere, in every living organism and soil. 

It's just that it comes in small amounts and it's hard to extract titanium which is the reason for the high cost, not the metal itself. 

patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 16
    netrox said:

It's just that it comes in small amounts and it's hard to extract titanium which is the reason for the high cost, not the metal itself. 

While it’s the ninth most abundant element in the earth’s crust, it’s used in military applications (thus the strategic metal part of the equation), and it’s produced predominately in six countries, with China and a Russia being the top two.  That’s the reason I feel it should be conserved. 

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/top-titanium-producing-countries.html
    edited August 2021 patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 16
    netrox said:

Are you saying I’m made of titanium?? No wonder I’m so strong and good looking. 
  • Reply 8 of 16
    firelockfirelock Posts: 238member
    I remember when Apple used titanium in the PowerBook G4, or as people called it, the “TiBook”. I remember I was excited to buy it, but it flexed badly and scratched easily. If you held the laptop by one end, it would actually bend because the metal was so flexible. I also heard that its thermal properties were not great. When Apple went to anodized aluminum for its laptops I thought it was a huge improvement over the titanium models.
    robabawatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    Titanium is quite abundant and easy to find. It's just difficult and expensive to refine. Don't forget, Apple has already used titanium in the past, namely the Powerbook G4 Titanium twenty years ago.
    Also, bicycles
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    I wonder if it would make sense for a larger screen iPad like say 16 inches. 

• Reply 11 of 16
    netrox said:

While it’s the ninth most abundant element in the earth’s crust, it’s used in military applications (thus the strategic metal part of the equation), and it’s produced predominately in six countries, with China and a Russia being the top two.  That’s the reason I feel it should be conserved. 

Yes, but it could be produced elsewhere. It is simply a matter of the price, and whether it is worth it. Heck, if you are worried about strategic issues, then you should want more produced in the United States. And increasing demand would create a greater incentive to produce more in the United States.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Any chance this is the long-awaited major implementation of liquidmetal? I believe that contains titanium. 
    watto_cobrapatchythepirate
  • Reply 13 of 16
    jmsrbs said:
    Any chance this is the long-awaited major implementation of liquidmetal? I believe that contains titanium. 
    I forgot all about that!
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 16
    blastdoor said:
    netrox said:

Yes, but it could be produced elsewhere. It is simply a matter of the price, and whether it is worth it. Heck, if you are worried about strategic issues, then you should want more produced in the United States. And increasing demand would create a greater incentive to produce more in the United States.
    I think US environmental regulations holds back the mining of several strategic metals and minerals.  And I’d guess Apple would be somewhat sensitive to the environmental footprint of such.  Titanium is probably overkill for an iPad case material.  At least pure titanium.  I had a small piece when I was in the Air Force, given to me by a friend in the sheet metal shop a few buildings down from the Avionics lab where I worked.  It was about the size and thickness of a dog tag, but I couldn’t bend it with any amount of force or leverage I could apply.  Super tough stuff.  Which leads me to think any case Apple used in the PowerBook must have been an alloy.  Pure titanium would have been difficult to work with and overkill. 
    edited August 2021
  • Reply 15 of 16
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    C'mon titanium isn't that rare. It has been used in consumer sports equipment FOR DECADES.

However this rumor is fairly dubious because Apple has a strong inclination to using recyclable materials and aluminum is far easier/cheaper to recycle than titanium (process, energy needed, and cost).

It's not like the iPad is super fragile anyhow. I've owned various models since the iPad 2 and none of them showed any glaring weakness in construction.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 16
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,849member
    blastdoor said:
    jmsrbs said:
    I forgot all about that!
    I own shares in that company (LQMT), a long shot penny stock just for fun.
    patchythepirate