Pixelmator Pro updates engine to improve PhotoShop file support

Posted:
in Mac Software
Pixelmator Pro for macOS has received a major update, overhauling its ability to read and write files for Adobe Photoshop, including optimizing the files for use in Apple's pro apps.

The update to 2.1.3, released on Thursday, makes quite a few changes to the way the image-editing app handles files generated by its main competitor, Adobe Photoshop. While the artistic tool was able to handle PSD files previously, the update should improve the experience of using them.

Key to the upgrade is a new PSD engine, part of Pixelmator Pro that handles the reading, opening, and writing of PSD files, the Pixelmator team explains in a blog post. The engine has been rewritten to be "faster, safer (crash-free!) and much more advanced."

The effort is said to have taken almost a year to finish, but gave the team benefits including a better understanding of the PSD format, which may provide a foundation for future improvements.

The new engine changes the way shapes in PSDs are handled, as previously they were opened as image layers. After the update, the shapes will be opened as vector shapes, and can also be exported back as shapes for improved compatibility.

The update also introduces support for PSB files, layered TIFF files, improved effect support, and adjustment layer tweaks. Text layer support has been upgraded, such as including SF Symbols sizing and improving how it handles line heights.

As an extra detail, Pixelmator Pro now allows users to optimize exported PSDs for use in Apple's pro apps, including Final Cut Pro and Motion. The team says it is needed as Pixelmator Pro can support the advanced features in PSDs that the applications cannot.

The update is free to all existing Pixelmator Pro users.

Pixelmator Pro is compatible with Macs running macOS 10.14.4 or later, and costs $39.99 in the Mac App Store.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    How close is Pixelmator Pro to replacing all features of PS? Close enough for 80% of users? 90%? 99%?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Pixelmator Pro is a great app and it offers reliable results. I use it on a daily basis to do work that I previously did on Photoshop.
    Photoshop might still be the lighthouse of photo editing apps but, I dare to say that at least 80% of Photoshop users will most probably be more than ok with Pixelmator Pro features.

ikirwilliamlondonhodar
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Malcolm, are you able to create a feature checklist of PSD vs PP? Would be interesting to also include Affinity Photo in the chart.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 6
    rob53 said:
    How close is Pixelmator Pro to replacing all features of PS? Close enough for 80% of users? 90%? 99%?
    It's not that close. The way to think of Pixelmator Pro is a much more modern version of old school Photoshop before Adobe started adding a lot of things that were specific to 3D or video editing etc. I think you could just look at the feature list for PP and determine pretty quickly if it could entirely replace PS for your workflow. 
  • Reply 5 of 6
    rob53 said:
    It's not that close. The way to think of Pixelmator Pro is a much more modern version of old school Photoshop before Adobe started adding a lot of things that were specific to 3D or video editing etc. I think you could just look at the feature list for PP and determine pretty quickly if it could entirely replace PS for your workflow. 
    Different vendors name similar items differently. That’s why I was looking for a feature cross reference. 

As for PS adding 3D and video options I’ve seen products try and do everything well but end up having more issues than enhancing a product to run its primary features extremely well. Sounds like PS is turning into Word. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 6
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member
    Pixelmator Pro continues to be one of the best investments I have made for my Mac.  Enthusiastic thumbs up
    williamlondon