Apple Watch Series 7 will be hard to find when it launches

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited September 2021
Apple might not be able to ship all versions of the Apple Watch Series 7 on time, a report claims, with production problems potentially delaying the release of some or all models.

Apple is anticipated to be unveiling an update to the Apple Watch lineup in a fall event, with the Apple Watch Series 7 expected to join the "iPhone 13" and other awaited product launches. In a Sunday report, there's now a renewed suggestion that the Apple Watch may not make it on time.

According to Mark Gurman's "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg, it is claimed that there are "production headaches" caused by the use of a new display. Previous rumors claim there are production delays in the product line, caused by the use of a new complicated design.

Previous rumors and reports have also latched on to Apple introducing a larger screen, potentially with 16% more pixels than in previous models. As part of the screen and design changes, it appears that Apple will also be moving to increase the overall size, from 40mm and 44mm variants to 41mm and 45mm versions.

The issues in production could lead to one of three outcomes, says Gurman. Either the announcement of the models will be delayed "until the issues are fixed," Apple will release the new models on time but in small quantities, or Apple will announce the models on time but delay the sale to consumers.

Gurman believes that an announcement in September will still go ahead, with a mix of limited stock releases for some models, and a delayed release for others.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16

Every year/product cycle produces the "delay" stories. Wash rinse and repeat. Different day same story.
    designrroyboypulseimageswilliamlondonwatto_cobrajahblade
  • Reply 2 of 16
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    I usually skip at least on generation, and since I have an S6, a delay doesn't bother me. But a slab-side Green watch could make me spend.
    watto_cobrajahblade
  • Reply 3 of 16
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    I’ve read that the new watch sizes will be incompatible with current watch bands. That’s going to piss off a lot of Apple Watch owners if true.
    edited September 2021 jahblade
  • Reply 4 of 16
    bluefire1 said:
    I’ve read that the new watch sizes will be incompatible with current watch bands. That’s going to piss off a lot of Apple Watch owners if true.
    Nah. Watch bands are like iPhone cases. Always fun to get new ones and the old ones never fit your new phone. Even better, you actually get a new watch band when you buy a new watch, you don’t get a case with your new iPhone. 
    edited September 2021 lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 16
    bluefire1 said:
    After seven generations?
    I don’t think Apple care who they piss off.
    lolliverviclauyycwilliamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 16
    bluefire1 said:
    You did read that. Right here on AI. A clickbait headline based on ZERO credible sources. A guy who knew a guy who said he worked in an Apple store. How could you doubt a rumor like that? The 4 to the 5 was a 2mm jump in screen size and no issues with legacy watchbands. The 6 to 7 is just a 1mm jump in size, so this is now a watchband problem because why? Listen: for the many people who've been collecting high quality watchbands, it would be easy for a collection to be worth hundreds and even thousands of dollars, depending on how many collected. (A single Hermes band runs about $500.) Incompatibility with existing bands would crater the upgrade cycle, and Apple's not dumb. 
    Anilu_777lolliverwilliamlondonwatto_cobrajahblade
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Yep, I may be wanting a stainless steel S7 to wear with my existing Apple stainless steel strap… I can’t see Apple changing strap compatibility but we will see… 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 16
    I’d guess it’ll be like the 12 Pro Max and iPhone X - announce with the rest of the products but ship later. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    charlesn said:
    bluefire1 said:
    You did read that. Right here on AI. A clickbait headline based on ZERO credible sources. A guy who knew a guy who said he worked in an Apple store. How could you doubt a rumor like that? The 4 to the 5 was a 2mm jump in screen size and no issues with legacy watchbands. The 6 to 7 is just a 1mm jump in size, so this is now a watchband problem because why? Listen: for the many people who've been collecting high quality watchbands, it would be easy for a collection to be worth hundreds and even thousands of dollars, depending on how many collected. (A single Hermes band runs about $500.) Incompatibility with existing bands would crater the upgrade cycle, and Apple's not dumb
    Agreed. But also, people will view their bands as temporary and will then be less likely to pay Apple prices for new ones, thereby cratering accessory revenue. I don’t think Apple will risk either scenario. 
    edited September 2021 watto_cobrajahblade
  • Reply 10 of 16
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    maclin3 said:
    bluefire1 said:
    Nah. Watch bands are like iPhone cases. Always fun to get new ones and the old ones never fit your new phone. Even better, you actually get a new watch band when you buy a new watch, you don’t get a case with your new iPhone. 
    Watch bands are NOT like iPhone cases. Ever meet someone with 20 iPhone cases? Neither have I. Ever coordinate your iPhone case to an outfit or event? Neither have I. Ever pay $100 and up for an iPhone case? Ever see a limited edition, Olympic collectible iPhone case? Ever watch an iPhone case unboxing video on YouTube? Ever see this many people pissed of that their iPhone case needs to be replaced? Neither have I. 

Maybe if the Watch wasn’t Apple’s “most personal device ever” and most people only owned one band, this rumor wouldn’t be such a big deal
    edited September 2021 viclauyycjahblade
  • Reply 11 of 16
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    Watch band dongles anyone???
    williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 16
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,315member
    tommikele said:

Every year/product cycle produces the "delay" stories. Wash rinse and repeat. Different day same story.
    That is because "Sentiment Traders" only need the price to move by a cents if they know when it's going to move. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Another rumor that makes no sense. They’re having trouble in production because it’s “very complicated?” Really? What makes this any more complicated than the 6 previous generations of watches? It’s not like they’re hand-building a new model of Patek Philippe. The most advanced feature rumored about the 7 series was that it would somehow monitor blood pressure, but that’s off the table now. This release is shaping up to be all about the flat-side form factor and larger, denser screen, neither of which would present “very complicated” production issues. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 16
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    bluefire1 said:
    Absolue nonsense.  The new watch will use the exact same case width as the old models, and even if it didn't, there's no technical or other logical reason to change the width of the band.  Even if the width of the band changed, there's no reason to change the attachment mechanism.

You can file that stupid rumor in the garbage bin along with 90% of the crap that is passed off as "news."
    williamlondonCuJoYYCwatto_cobrajahblade
  • Reply 15 of 16
    The Watch will be on back order regardless because of high demand, with or without supply chain issues.

As for owning 20 bands? If you could afford 20 bands, you can afford some new bands. And give them to friends and family. I own one band. Why bother with more?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 16
    I think what you meant to write was:
    "Apple Watch Series 7 may be hard to find when it launches"

watto_cobra