Apple unveils new iPad mini with updated design, 5G

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    Boom! Design language and features clearly positions the mini at the Prosumer segment. I feel it helps to declutter their lineup and make it easier to understand.

Some professions will bulk order this model. I can see it being very successful and going all screen with power button Touch ID is logical for a small screen device. Smart.

This also caters a lot to the smaller bag crowd that also have a small form factor phone like the iPhone mini. Now question is will this convert some people away from Kindle devices?
    hippowatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 34
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    kipowsky said:
    AppleInsider said:
    Powering the iPad Mini is the A15 Bionic chip, featuring a 6-core CPU offering a 40% jump in performance, and a 5-core GPU boasting an 80% performance boost.
    Mini gets A15 and normal iPad gets A13? Probably right, but still turns my head inside out that Mini is much more powerful than normal iPad. Yeah, I know ”iPad Pro” and such. But shouldn’t it be named ”Pro Mini” if anything?

Air Mini would be a more appropriate term. 
    hippowatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 34
    To give some context, the new Mini's screen is only 1.5" smaller than the original iPad's screen.
    hippowatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 34
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    This is the exact Mini I have been waiting for years to get. Unfortunately, last fall I got impatient and purchased an Air 4, so I probably won’t be getting one for a little while longer. But, I’m really jealous of all you that are getting one on day 1. I truly loved the 2 Mini’s I’ve had in the past. To all you that “just don’t get it”…maybe borrow someone’s, or play around with one at the store, then perhaps you will understand why so many people love these damn things; why people are so passionate about defending them. 
    edited September 2021 Graeme000patchythepiratedewmehippoDetnatorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 34
    elijahg said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    elijahg said:
    At $499 vs $329 for the bigger iPad, I don't really see what the point of this is, aside from some barely noticeable CPU speed bumps vs the bigger one. Since you probably own an iPhone anyway, you could just get an iPhone 12/13 Plus for $200 more when you next upgrade, saving ~$200 (or $350 if you need cellular), have just one device rather than two, and you're not that far off iPad mini display size. The only major disadvantage is no pencil on iPhone.
    Right, but then I'd have to carry around a huge iPhone, and that huge iPhone would be too small to be a good iPad. What you're suggesting makes 0 (zero) sense.
    Zero (0) sense for you perhaps. Your scenario means you'd still have to carry around an iPad mini, and an iPhone. Which makes less sense to me than just having one device. But that's fine - you prefer two devices. It's called preference. As above, I was wondering why people prefer to have two, and you haven't really said why it "makes 0 (zero) sense".
    No it doesn't. I don't carry my iPad Mini everywhere. I do carry my iPhone everywhere. And when I do carry around my iPad Mini, it's because I want to use an iPad, not a large iPhone.
    williamlondonGraeme000muthuk_vanalingamhippowatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 34
    elijahg said:
    At $499 vs $329 for the bigger iPad, I don't really see what the point of this is, aside from some barely noticeable CPU speed bumps vs the bigger one. Since you probably own an iPhone anyway, you could just get an iPhone 12/13 Plus for $200 more when you next upgrade, saving ~$200 (or $350 if you need cellular), have just one device rather than two, and you're not that far off iPad mini display size. The only major disadvantage is no pencil on iPhone.
    Ipad mini is a delight to use. Junior has the old mini, I have an ipad pro 11”. Had also iphone plus, is a different league. Every size has his own utility.
    Graeme000williamlondondewmehippowatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 34
    For me, this device was the star of the keynote.  The iPad I have been waiting for.  Already put in my pre-order.  Can't wait.
    muthuk_vanalingamdewmehippowatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 34
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    elijahg said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    elijahg said:
    Right, but then I'd have to carry around a huge iPhone, and that huge iPhone would be too small to be a good iPad. What you're suggesting makes 0 (zero) sense.
    Zero (0) sense for you perhaps. Your scenario means you'd still have to carry around an iPad mini, and an iPhone. Which makes less sense to me than just having one device. But that's fine - you prefer two devices. It's called preference. As above, I was wondering why people prefer to have two, and you haven't really said why it "makes 0 (zero) sense".
    No it doesn't. I don't carry my iPad Mini everywhere. I do carry my iPhone everywhere. And when I do carry around my iPad Mini, it's because I want to use an iPad, not a large iPhone.
    So when you have your iPad Mini with you, you never take your iPhone? What are the differences other than screen size that makes you prefer an iPad Mini over an iPhone?
    hippo
  • Reply 29 of 34
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,363member
    mpantone said:
    elijahg said:
    At $499 vs $329 for the bigger iPad, I don't really see what the point of this is, aside from some barely noticeable CPU speed bumps vs the bigger one.
    I realize this is a difficult concept for some people to wrap their heads around but not everyone's usage case is identical to yours. Moreover there are plenty of enterprise and institutional usage cases that the average Joe isn't going to be aware of.

I've owned full-size iPads (including the iPad 2) and various generations of the iPad mini and I have stuck with the latter for years. The 6th generation mini will replace my 4th generation mini.

It's okay if you don't buy this. Apple does not everyone to buy every single device they put out.

And if you don't see value in a new product for your particular needs, you are not obligated to mention it on a Q&A forum. You can still keep your thoughts to yourself.

If you are a direct or indirect AAPL shareholder (the latter like most Americans with a retirement account or pension plan), you should hope Apple Inc. sells many of these regardless whether or not you ever put one in your shopping cart.

You nailed it, different products that serve different needs. The iPad mini is a great companion device to bring along if you are also carrying a notebook computer or just a smartphone. It doesn't take up much space or weight and is actually usable on the mini tray tables in coach/economy class. In my mind the iPad mini is the penultimate media consumption device. I read most of my books and magazines electronically and the iPad mini is the perfect size for these functions. My Kindle is only used for direct sunlight reading.

I've owned the extremes of all of the iPad sizes from the first mini to the 12.9" Pro. The 12.9" iPads are simply too big to use as tablets but they make good notebook computer replacements when equipped with a keyboard and trackpad/mouse. The iPad mini is too small to use as a notebook computer replacement (I tried and found mini keyboards to be excruciating) but it's a great tablet that you can hold in one hand. The tweener sizes are all fine and good too, and if you have to pick one and only one, the 10"-11" ones are great choices and the base iPad is an incredible bargain for what it delivers. 

Apple totally owns the high quality tablet market but still manages to crank out products that totally impress, at least for non-niche products. The mini seemed to languish a bit, but the prior generation was absolutely no slouch performance-wise. This latest version doesn't sacrifice design or performance. A lot of vendors in a similar position in a market would start to look for ways to cost reduce what would be cash cow products with fairly static configurations. Apple has not done this for the most part, which impresses the heck out of me. They aren't being pushed by any competitors, but they are constantly challenging themselves to produce better products that deliver great value. And as several others have mentioned, they've delivered CHOICE.

Looking forward to 9/24 to experience my new mini firsthand.
    williamlondonmattinozfastasleepmuthuk_vanalingamhippowatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 34
    The new Mini is pretty slick but I'm going to stay with my maxed out Mini 5 for now.
    hippo
  • Reply 31 of 34
    elijahg said:
    elijahg said:
    The mini is better for general aviation and fits on a knee board better with less/no impediment to the motion of the control stick between or above one's legs.  I've been waiting for this updated version of the mini since the iPad mini 3 and use it primarily with Foreflight.  
    elijahg said:
    elijahg said:
    Here's the thing -- it's not about you. Some people prefer a smaller tablet. Not a phone, but a tablet. I enjoyed a mini for many years and preferred it over larger sizes.
    You don't say. That's why we're here isn't it? To discuss? I was wondering what the point of the mini is vs a bigger phone, and if people prefer a small tablet over a bigger phone, why is that? Genuinely curious, but of course all you can do is attack, rather than provide reasons, because that's all you're capable of doing.
    The bigger phone is still smaller than the mini. I like having a smaller iPad for travel and commute. I don’t need a huge phone. This is the best of both worlds. 
    Fair points, thanks!
    If you go to the App Store in the app Preview section, developers do not have to but often offer different versions of their apps optimized for iPhone, iPad App, Watch, etc. The iPad App versions typically have a richer and more usable interface for the larger screen size, which the iPad mini takes advantage of. So for travel and public transportation I carry both a regular size iPhone and iPad mini, which is also my favorite iPad for the small size and weight, and is more productive than an iPhone for many apps.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 34
    In the small commuter airplanes, the mini can be used on the sandwich sized table. Not so much my iPad Pro 11 or 13" MacBook Air M1. I have all the owner manuals and tech materials for all my vehicles and trailers with solar power systems on the mini. It is small enough to be right beside the project when doing detailed repairs. It is small enough for a pocket when going to the doctor's offices as I as a senior seem to be doing more of lately between my wife and me (in our 70s).

I like the fact that the mini is the first one to have the latest and greatest processor from Apple when it came out instead of a generation or two behind. And it now has a 5G modem and latest Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity. It will not be obsolete in a couple of years.

This mini iPad really is a new and current device with all the latest bells and whistles. This gives us a heads up for the next generation iPad Pro's capabilities will be brought forward as well.
    dewmehippowatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 34
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,363member
    ApplePoor said:
    In the small commuter airplanes, the mini can be used on the sandwich sized table. Not so much my iPad Pro 11 or 13" MacBook Air M1. I have all the owner manuals and tech materials for all my vehicles and trailers with solar power systems on the mini. It is small enough to be right beside the project when doing detailed repairs. It is small enough for a pocket when going to the doctor's offices as I as a senior seem to be doing more of lately between my wife and me (in our 70s).

I like the fact that the mini is the first one to have the latest and greatest processor from Apple when it came out instead of a generation or two behind. And it now has a 5G modem and latest Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity. It will not be obsolete in a couple of years.

This mini iPad really is a new and current device with all the latest bells and whistles. This gives us a heads up for the next generation iPad Pro's capabilities will be brought forward as well.
    Your post reminds me of another reason why I like the mini so much. The iPad mini is the Regional Jet of iPads. Small, fast, easy to board in a short period of time, cost effective, and fewer distractions. 

I used to hate traditional “commuter planes” aka “puddle jumpers” because they were slow, uncomfortable, loud, and in dicey weather, scary as hell. The Regional Jets flipped most of those negatives over. They are now one of the quickest and most convenient ways to travel domestically. 
    hippowatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 34
    elijahg said:

So when you have your iPad Mini with you, you never take your iPhone? What are the differences other than screen size that makes you prefer an iPad Mini over an iPhone?
    "So when you have your iPad Mini with you, you never take your iPhone?" No, it's not a big deal to carry my phone as usual and throw the iPad in a bag.

"
    What are the differences other than screen size that makes you prefer an iPad Mini over an iPhone?" Maybe use cases would make more sense?

- I read a lot. Reading on an iPhone — even a "Max" model — sucks.
    - I'm working on some sketches and drawings. Even if the iPhone could support the Pencil, it would be too small for sketches.
    - a full-sized iPad falls apart for both of those use cases. It's too big for comfortable reading (a trade paperback is the ideal book size) and bigger than any sketchbook I want (see Moleskine sketchbooks). 

The iPad Mini is the perfect iPad for me, at home or occasionally out.
    hippoDetnatorwatto_cobra