If you've updated to iOS 15, make sure your AirTag is still in Find My

Posted:
in iOS
An increasing number of users are reporting that AirTags are no longer in the Find My app after updating to iOS 15.

Some users report AirTags disappearing from Find My after iOS 15 update
Some users report AirTags disappearing from Find My after iOS 15 update

A bug in iOS 15 appears to remove the AirTag or make it unable to appear within the Find My app. Some users report success in re-adding the AirTag after performing a factory reset on the device.

AppleInsider recommends AirTag owners go into their Find My app and ensure they still appear there. Any AirTag that is missing will need a factory reset to be re-added to Find My.

The issue hasn't been widely reported, but since it requires the user to look for the AirTag in Find My, it could be a largely unnoticed issue. However, the bug can affect anyone who updated to iOS 15.

And, it's better to check before you need to rely on the AirTag to find a lost item.

Just updated to iOS 15 and my AirTags were deleted from FindMy. I did get an alert I was being tracked by an AirTag so at least I got to see that side it. #Apple #iOS15

-- Josh (@JilsonW87)

Potential bug I found? The update seems to have wiped my AirTag devices. @AppleSupport @appleinsider #iOS15 pic.twitter.com/0LhZJPVrg4

-- Nathan Cunningham (@bkelevate)

Apple has released the beta for iOS 15.1, however, the company has been known to release hotfix updates without betas. An iOS 15.01 update could happen at any time to address reported bugs, like another bug dealing with storage reporting.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,245member
    Mine works fine from both my iPhone and Mac. Don't remember FindMy showing everything listed under my Family Plan but it does.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Hit my AirTag attached to my keys.  iPhone 11 Pro with iOS 15.  Will do a reset.

I was wrong.  Found my AirTags listed in a different section of FindMy.
    edited September 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    My AirTag has disappeared. I’ve taken the battery out and as advised on the apple website disconnected and reconnected the battery multiple times until it reset (and made a different sound). It now however won’t reconnect. I’ve just ordered a new battery to see if it’s low on power. Disappointing it hasn’t lasted anywhere near one year.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    I am not doing that ridiculous set of repeating steps just to add an AirTag back into the FindMy app. Wow…
  • Reply 5 of 14
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    I know the update worked fine for me because when I drove off this morning, it told me I was separated from the keys to my other car. Promptly turned that feature off. LOL
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    mike1 said:
    I know the update worked fine for me because when I drove off this morning, it told me I was separated from the keys to my other car. Promptly turned that feature off. LOL
    Yep. I haven't turned that off yet, I'll wait a little to see just how annoying that gets.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    peterhart said:
    I am not doing that ridiculous set of repeating steps just to add an AirTag back into the FindMy app. Wow…
    Is yours missing? If not, why would you. If so, what else you gonna do…

Mine are fine. 
    maltzwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    mike1 said:
    Yep. I haven't turned that off yet, I'll wait a little to see just how annoying that gets.
    It's my set of keys for my wife's car, so I know it'll be annoying every day.

• Reply 9 of 14
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    peterhart said:
    Then don’t and sell your now useless AirTag. I’d be interested if the price is right.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    I was able to get mine working without resetting each AirTag. AirTags were still registered on other devices that I had also upgraded. On my iPhone I toggled the Find My feature off and back on then rebooted phone. When it came back up, the AirTags were listed again. Hope that helps!
    watto_cobraHolmze
  • Reply 11 of 14
    It happened to me also. After updating to iOS 15 and iPadOS 15, Airtags were showing on my iPad but not on my iPhone 12 Pro.

I did a hard reset of my iPhone after having swiped up the Find My app. Airtags reappeared. Problem solved.
    edited September 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Mine updated to the current firmware finally. They were stuck on .276 since June. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    I was able to get mine to work again by the following procedure (not sure the first two steps were necessary, but this is what worked for me):

1. Reboot the iPhone (*sigh*, I know)
    2. Open Find My and find the AirTags still missing
    3. Go to the Apple ID security settings on the iPhone to reassure it that Two-Factor is still on (I knew it was, but the iPhone didn't believe me until I opened that settings screen).
    4. Go back to Find My and marvel at the fact that the AirTags have reappeared.

Hope this helps anyone.
    watto_cobraHolmze
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Tried all your „not resetting“ hints. Did not work for my IPhone X. Ipad and MB Air still see all my 4 Air Tags. Now it is on Apple to solve this quick. If not its a shame. The needed very long time to bring this product. And now, after the first update, it does not work anymore. They are lucky, its not the apple car. 😀
    watto_cobra