Apple quietly hikes Beats Flex price to $70

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2021
Apple recently raised the price of its Beats Flex earphones by 40%, a substantial increase for the nearly year-old device that was initially marketed as an entry-level product.

Beats Flex

The price hike, first spotted by Portuguese language blog MacMagazine, was quietly introduced in the past few days and brings Beats Flex from $50 up to $70. Corresponding increases were rolled out worldwide.

Beats Flex is still the cheapest Beats option sold by Apple behind the wired Beats EP on-ear headphones.

Apple has not explained the sudden change and pricing for other products with similar internals remains unchanged.

Introduced in October 2020, Beats Flex is a follow up to the Beats X wireless earbuds and features a W1 chip, 12-hour battery, USB-C connectivity and improved acoustics. W1 integration enables quick syncing with iOS devices and support for Audio Sharing. Beats Flex is also compatible with Apple's Find My service when paired with a device running iOS 14.5 or later, or Mac running macOS Big Sur 11.3 or later.

Most third-party resellers have updated pricing to reflect Apple's changes and are showing the earphones available for $70 in the U.S.

Verizon is still selling Beats Flex for $50 and currently has a number of color options available. It is unclear if and when the carrier will update its pricing.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    For some odd reason this makes me want them more.

I avoid things in the grocery store that are on sale because there's a reason they're on sale (and those reasons are never provided to the consumer.) I've bought many things on sale in the past only to discover later why they were on sale. Never again.

If a car manufacturer is offering special value pricing on some model, it's usually because that model isn't selling well. And there's probably a reason why it isn't selling well. No thanks.
    lkrupp
  • Reply 2 of 16
    What’s with the accusatory tone? ‘Apple quietly hikes the price…’

You expect a media blitz to announce it? 

lkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 16
    One does want to know. Has it to do with supply chain issues, have materials gotten more expensive, why only this product?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 16

I avoid things in the grocery store that are on sale because there's a reason they're on sale (and those reasons are never provided to the consumer.) I've bought many things on sale in the past only to discover later why they were on sale. Never again.

If a car manufacturer is offering special value pricing on some model, it's usually because that model isn't selling well. And there's probably a reason why it isn't selling well. No thanks.
    That’s the most asinine reasoning for not buying a grocery item because it’s on sale. 
    nadrielmuthuk_vanalingamhammeroftruthelijahgOfercuriousrun8fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 16
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    AppleZulu said:

The incendiary misleading adverbs trigger more clicks than a factual headline. 
    lkruppbeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 16
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member

One does want to know. Has it to do with supply chain issues, have materials gotten more expensive, why only this product?
    What's the difference? Do you spend your days wondering whether increased milk prices are due to a lack of cows?
    Japheyfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 16

That’s the most asinine reasoning for not buying a grocery item because it’s on sale. 
    It's actually not. One of the differentiators for products and companies is by price, and it can go both ways. Forget technology, let's use the airline industry. You can fly London to Frankfurt for $50 each way on Ryanair, which is differentiated by being the budget competitor, or you can fly for $150-$200 each way on British Airways or Lufthansa, which is differentiated by being a premium airline. They both offer relatively the same service, but for those seeking a premium product, they would prefer the BA/Lufthansa product because of the price differentiation. Getting things on sale might mean it feels like you're getting a cheaper product rather than just a more inexpensive one, and it's very much a valid consumer practice.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 16
    I have a pair and I hate them wish I had sent them back to Amazon....
    lkruppOfer
  • Reply 9 of 16
    flydog said:
    AppleZulu said:

Incendiary? They did quietly do it. There's nothing misleading about the headline. It is a factual headline. They didn't go out of their way to announce it, because why would they? This in itself does not make it disingenuous, untruthful, misleading, or accusatory. They could have said "Apple hikes the price", just as truthful; they could have said "Apple stealthily increases the price", just as truthful.
    elijahgpatchythepirate
  • Reply 10 of 16
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    AppleZulu said:

Because the accepted way the world works says the price of electronics always goes down, not up. So when the price of an electronic item goes up it must be for nefarious, greedy reasons. Don’t worry, someone will come along shortly and make that allegation. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 16
    I bought two pair at the old price, so I don't care!
    I like the Flex better than the predecessor X, which, I believe were $99. The Flex are made of more durable materials, and I like the buttons arrangement better. The magnets in the earpieces are stronger, and I like the way the music pauses when you click them together.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 16
    If they’re as good as (or better than) the X I got free with my daughter’s Air years ago, they’re still well worth it. I love my AirPods Pro, but still use my X when I work out. They sound great and are super convenient.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Get used to it. Prices for everything are going to go up and I don't see them going back down any time soon, if ever.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 16
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    Odd indeed. You are the customer Apple is looking for.

flydog said:
    AppleZulu said:

Apple hikes Beats Flex price to $70

Apple quietly hikes Beats Flex to $70

The fact is the same, but the effect is not. The first statement says everything you need to know – they now cost more. But Apple didn't just raise the price. They did it q-u-i-e-t-l-y. Adding "quietly" adds spin.

Why (beyond clicks)? Was it a secret late night meeting behind closed and lock doors, discussed in conspiratorial whispers? Did Tim say "Hike the price of the Flex by 40% but do it q-u-i-e-t-l-y so nobody notices.

lkrupp said:
    Because the accepted way the world works says the price of electronics always goes down, not up. So when the price of an electronic item goes up it must be for nefarious, greedy reasons. Don’t worry, someone will come along shortly and make that allegation. 
    And that seed was planted with the chosen headline.

flydog said:
    Incendiary? They did quietly do it. There's nothing misleading about the headline. It is a factual headline. They didn't go out of their way to announce it, because why would they? This in itself does not make it disingenuous, untruthful, misleading, or accusatory. They could have said "Apple hikes the price", just as truthful; they could have said "Apple stealthily increases the price", just as truthful.
    Those headlines are not the same. There is deliberate implication with the use of "quietly" just as there would be had the headline had used "stealthily". Truthful? Yes. Misleading, yes. Does Apple normally announce price increases in a "non-quiet" manner? Is this some sort of departure from the method with which Apple announces price increases? Or price changes at all? No.

AI could have said "Apple hikes Beats Flex price to $70" but chose to embellish for a reason, because though both statements are factual, they don't both convey the same meaning. Stating or even implying they do, is disingenuous.

flydog said:
    What's the difference? Do you spend your days wondering whether increased milk prices are due to a lack of cows?
    Ridiculous. Why do you think it odd/wrong/misplaced to wonder why a price has increased. Supply chain issues, increased cost of materials are only two reasons why a price might be increased. Anyone considering buying a pair of Flex would almost certainly consider the nature of increase before spending their money. Is it justified in their mind? Not to mention typical human curiosity.

Not to mention that 40% is a substantial price increase for a product that has no announced added features or performance. Apple rethought the price point for a reason. If (speculatively) it's not because of added features or performance, then why? Color me innately curious. 

If I were considering a pair before this price hike, I'd probably pass, unless there was a new feature that was worth it, to me. So there's that, too.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Some AI software at Apple detected that rubes would pay 40% more all of a sudden, for the same product.
  • Reply 16 of 16

They weren't on sale though, were they. This is an increase from the original price. Your reasoning makes zero sense.

Generally MOST stuff in groceries get marked down to move product that's built up in the supply chain, ie overstock, or if things are nearing expiration dates at which point they'd get pulled from shelves (often unnecessarily), not because there's something inherently wrong with them. Obviously clearance meat, seafood, deli etc should be examined closer, but that's stating the obvious.

Still, this has absolutely nothing to do with a product's increased price from when it was released. And headphones don't expire like a filet of ling cod.

It's actually not. One of the differentiators for products and companies is by price, and it can go both ways. Forget technology, let's use the airline industry. You can fly London to Frankfurt for $50 each way on Ryanair, which is differentiated by being the budget competitor, or you can fly for $150-$200 each way on British Airways or Lufthansa, which is differentiated by being a premium airline. They both offer relatively the same service, but for those seeking a premium product, they would prefer the BA/Lufthansa product because of the price differentiation. Getting things on sale might mean it feels like you're getting a cheaper product rather than just a more inexpensive one, and it's very much a valid consumer practice.
    This is one product that has had a significant increase from its original price. It's not two companies, nor two products. 

Have you ever ever flown Ryanair? People don't fly those other airlines instead because they're priced at a premium, it's because Ryanair, EasyJet, and the like fucking suck compared to the better airlines which provide a markedly better experience across the board. They're not really "same services" when you consider the experience as a whole, aside from the obvious similarities. But again, this doesn't apply 
    watto_cobra