MacBook Pro refresh could reuse the iPhone's notch in the display

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    entropys said:
    It would be tucked into the Menu bar. No big deal, in fact I think it’s a good idea overall size wise for the laptop. It would not be visible on an external display.

only possible because of the integration of software and hardware.
    Look, either way it’ll be hilarious.  These self-proclaimed professionals will be pissed regardless.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 48
    The notch on the last Apple mobile device, MacBook Pro?  LOL!  It it is true, I will just wait till “no notch” model to be release!
    edited October 2021
  • Reply 23 of 48
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,257member
    No to the notch, the iPad Pro looks great with it.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,257member
    DuhSesame said:
    Your Apple “fanboys (more like haters)” are still hilarious.

first of all, why do most of you assume that this is true?  Got confirmation?

The iPad have a display just as thin as the Mac but it never have any notch.  Why should the laptop have one?

Even if that’s true (which I don’t think so), it sure will be irritating but doesn’t mean that it will be a massive failure.  What do you know?  Maybe it’s there for a good reason you’d never thought of.  Maybe the laptop have a bezel so slim that makes it worth it.  Nothing you can tell just from a doubtful leaker.

HOW many rumors of iPhone 13 turns out to be fake?

Apple wants to make money, if there’s a flagship with a compromise then surely they’ve thought about it.  Do you really think that Apple users are “sheep” (Which most of you “fans” already assume it is) which just bought whatever Ive’s fetish?

But what am I saying, it seems like most of you are angry all the time, either with or without a notch.  You’ll be pissed if the rumors were fake, or you’ll be pissed if it’s true.  None of you wants to use your logic.

Windows users are wordy….
  • Reply 25 of 48
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    danox said:
    DuhSesame said:
    Your Apple “fanboys (more like haters)” are still hilarious.

first of all, why do most of you assume that this is true?  Got confirmation?

The iPad have a display just as thin as the Mac but it never have any notch.  Why should the laptop have one?

Even if that’s true (which I don’t think so), it sure will be irritating but doesn’t mean that it will be a massive failure.  What do you know?  Maybe it’s there for a good reason you’d never thought of.  Maybe the laptop have a bezel so slim that makes it worth it.  Nothing you can tell just from a doubtful leaker.

HOW many rumors of iPhone 13 turns out to be fake?

Apple wants to make money, if there’s a flagship with a compromise then surely they’ve thought about it.  Do you really think that Apple users are “sheep” (Which most of you “fans” already assume it is) which just bought whatever Ive’s fetish?

But what am I saying, it seems like most of you are angry all the time, either with or without a notch.  You’ll be pissed if the rumors were fake, or you’ll be pissed if it’s true.  None of you wants to use your logic.

Windows users are wordy….
    Indeed
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 48
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I hope this is just a misunderstanding. Zero bezels isn’t needed.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 48
    I’m happy with my M1 Mac Mini, but I wonder if Apple can deliver the new computers before 24th of December, given the global supply chain issue. However, that said: if any company can pull it off, it is with Tim Cook’s nr 1 expertise in logistics.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 48
    darkvader said:
    I was hoping that now that they've gotten rid of Ive that Apple would stop making stupid design decisions.  But no, Ive's minions are just as stupid as he is.
    They haven’t gotten rid of him — they are contracting him via LoveFrom. No one knows which products he’s involved in, though. Probably not everything Apple makes.

edited October 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 48
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,026member
    If it means we get Face ID, I’m in.  
    davgregwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 48
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Seems like a stupid idea, but if it’s only eating into the menu bar most of the time then Apple can probably design around it.  It could work.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 48
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    The only way this makes sense , as reported, is a bezelless design. Which would be amazing. An AI headline that said “MacBook Pros are losing bezels” would have a different response. If it is true then the safe area would probably be black (and for  symmetry a similar black bad at the bottom of the screen) unless the screen was full screen and menu less. If the screens have bezels then this report, if true at all, is showing where the cameras are, exactly where they are now. 
    edited October 2021
  • Reply 32 of 48
    xp17xp17 Posts: 15member
    Super. I love notch.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 33 of 48
    KTRKTR Posts: 280member
    macbear01 said:
    This is not okay. I don’t like the notch on the iPhone, and, while I’m in the market for a new laptop, I will not pay $2500+ for a 16” screen with a damn notch. This is not a phone. I’m not interested in tolerating a notch in a full-size laptop screen just so the body is a 1/4” smaller and the screen goes edge to edge. The tiniest possible form is not important enough to justify making the screen incomplete. I was waiting for an MX1 or M2 MacBook Pro, but I’ll rethink that if this is really what they do. God, I hope this rumor is wrong.

Apple, just effing stop!
    I don’t believe apple will do that.  To me, it just don’t make engendering sense.  
  • Reply 34 of 48
    doggonedoggone Posts: 396member
    FaceID is a no-brainer for a laptop Mac.  If Apple go with minimal bezels to maximize the screen size, then having a notch would not be a big deal.  The idea is that there would be an additional 72 pixels above the 16:10 ratio screen which could be well suited for the menubar.  Make the menubar black at all times and then you would not even notice the notch.
    I would be surprised if Apple implement this now but if they are already getting rid of the touchbar, adding back MagSafe and SD slots then they might just go for it.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    darkvader said:
    I was hoping that now that they've gotten rid of Ive that Apple would stop making stupid design decisions.  But no, Ive's minions are just as stupid as he is.
    Ridiculous. 

IVe is the reason we have such great computing designs today.  

He revolutionized it with the translucent iMac. Then they ran with that for a while. Very fashionable for the time. 

But he is a perfectionist like Jobs. And so he transformed into. Timeless craftsman, creating designs that would look iconic brand new, yet stand the test of time looking great decades down the road. 

The flat design he ushered in with UI was the best most consistent implementation anywhere and was right on time. 

The new team either doesn’t change it much to be safe or makes it ugly. Power bricks that litter the floor, fisher price designs, and styles that are decent now, but don’t look to be lasting. 

Say what you want, but it doesn’t match with reality. 

Ive deserves every bit of good credit he gets. 

Apple is less without him. 
    Not IMO.  Ive was obsessed with thinness over all else.  Secondly he was obsessed with having no seams in the case.   He always prioritized visual industrial design over usability.   With the iPhone, his obsession with the outer design elements were especially ridiculous because almost everyone keeps their iPhone in an eternal case anyway, hiding much of that design.    And who wouldn't have traded a slightly thicker iPhone for longer battery life?    On the Mac, Ive's obsessions gave us Macs where you can't change/upgrade the memory, storage or battery, a completely hypocritical design strategy from a company that pretends to be Green.     (I'll cut Ive somewhat of a break if those were someone else's decisions).   

What I do agree with is that the current design team doesn't really seem to have a design concept strategy, so we get more of the same (assuming that the rumors are accurate and that the MBP overall design isn't changing at all, aside from a potentially smaller bezel.   
    williamlondon
  • Reply 36 of 48
    zoetmb said:
    darkvader said:
    Ridiculous. 

IVe is the reason we have such great computing designs today.  

He revolutionized it with the translucent iMac. Then they ran with that for a while. Very fashionable for the time. 

But he is a perfectionist like Jobs. And so he transformed into. Timeless craftsman, creating designs that would look iconic brand new, yet stand the test of time looking great decades down the road. 

The flat design he ushered in with UI was the best most consistent implementation anywhere and was right on time. 

The new team either doesn’t change it much to be safe or makes it ugly. Power bricks that litter the floor, fisher price designs, and styles that are decent now, but don’t look to be lasting. 

Say what you want, but it doesn’t match with reality. 

Ive deserves every bit of good credit he gets. 

Apple is less without him. 
    Not IMO.  Ive was obsessed with thinness over all else.  Secondly he was obsessed with having no seams in the case.   He always prioritized visual industrial design over usability.   With the iPhone, his obsession with the outer design elements were especially ridiculous because almost everyone keeps their iPhone in an eternal case anyway, hiding much of that design.    And who wouldn't have traded a slightly thicker iPhone for longer battery life?    On the Mac, Ive's obsessions gave us Macs where you can't change/upgrade the memory, storage or battery, a completely hypocritical design strategy from a company that pretends to be Green.     (I'll cut Ive somewhat of a break if those were someone else's decisions).   

What I do agree with is that the current design team doesn't really seem to have a design concept strategy, so we get more of the same (assuming that the rumors are accurate and that the MBP overall design isn't changing at all, aside from a potentially smaller bezel.   
    Well there's some modern intellectual integrity if I ever saw it, condemn someone (for disagreeing with your lay opinion) even when you're not sure it was that person's decision.

Attack first, worry later whether your assumptions were valid.

Seems par for the course these days.

And we wonder why conspiracy theories have such a stranglehold on our discourse, fuck empiricism, right?
    fastasleep
  • Reply 37 of 48
    For Apple Watch you have to code “complications” an actual term in the realm of watches.

When Apple added the notch to iPhones they added an artificial actual complication in the name of… well, I suppose you can claim it gives more screen space for a smaller case, and if you stretch logic REALLY HARD it makes some sort of sense to get a minimal case size by wasting valuable screen real estate that, as a simple rectangle, is easy for software developers to make full use of, but in practice, the stupid notch makes for (at most charitably) a visual distinction for branding from a distance all while screwing both the users and developers out of what they can most effectively use the device for: proper viewing of and interaction with what’s important to the end-user. It’s bad enough Apple has made protruding camera bumps on the back of devices so they rock back and forth big not in a case, but this stupidity is far worse.

If this sort of insanity comes to pass on laptops/desktops, all involved deserve to be lined up against a wall and shot repeatedly: with the same damned cameras, and their names and faces posted everywhere with what they’ve done, so everyone knows who to either cheer or jeer at.

A truly stupid idea.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 38 of 48
    I don’t get it. This isn’t a picture of a display, it’s the lid with a camera module exactly where you’d expect it. Antenna lines around the logo (will it glow?! Who knows). There’s no indication this results in a “notch” without seeing the actual display. 

Hilarious people are already losing their minds over something that’s not even shown here. So angry! Lol
    williamlondonmattinoz
  • Reply 39 of 48
    I don’t get it. This isn’t a picture of a display, it’s the lid with a camera module exactly where you’d expect it. Antenna lines around the logo (will it glow?! Who knows). There’s no indication this results in a “notch” without seeing the actual display. 

Hilarious people are already losing their minds over something that’s not even shown here. So angry! Lol
    Manufactured outrage, a popular child's toy that's been trending for years.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,442member

Stockmarket requires fools to fall for these things so they can be parted from their money. 
    williamlondon