2022 MacBook Air will have 'M2' chip, MagSafe, 1080p camera, says leaker

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,693member
    We know the pattern now. The Mx chip comes out first. It has a new architecture and is aimed at the low end/low power models while the Mx higher performance variants (Pro/Max/?) come out the following year. The M1 was put in the Mac mini, MacBook Air, iPad Pro, and the iMac 24". The M1 Pro/Max went into the MacBook Pros the following year.
    Here is my prediction based purely on extrapolation: In 2022 we can expect to see the M2 in the Mac mini, MacBook Air and iPad Pro. The consumer iMacs will get the M1 Pro/Max possibly in the first half of the year (consumer iMacs traditionally have had laptop components). The M2 Pro/Max/? will appear in the iMac Pro and Mac Pro which will complete the transition to Apple Silicon will be released in late 2022 or some time in 2023. From then on we should expect tick/tock releases of new Apple Silicon on a bi-annual refresh of each while the A series iPhone/iPad chips which will remain on an annual refresh.
    You don't mention the Mini getting the Mx Pro/Max chip. Was that an accident, or do you think it will never get that chip?
  • Reply 22 of 33
    Fun question: The MacBook Air and the iPad Pro have the same processor. They cost roughly the same price. They are both thin and reasonably light. The iPad Pro has a detachable keyboard while the MacBook Air has an attached keyboard. Be honest, why would many (most?) people only consider getting the Mac Book Air rather than the iPad Pro?

The answer is the operating system. As The Verge just said, "iPadOS continues to underwhelm and disappoint". iPadOS goes out of its way to prevent you from doing the things you need to do. You don't get to decide what software you run, Apple does. You don't get to decide which parts of the hardware you own you can use, Apple does. Mac OS lets you run amazing software like Parallels, Photoshop or Steam. iPadOS does not. Why is this? The hardware is nearly identical so why does Apple make iPadOS so limited? Why can't it put MacOS on the iPad with a touch screen user interface? Why can't it make iPadOS have the same open nature that MacOS has?

This all comes down to Apple's management's need to control everything. This is not good for business. It is not good for customers. It is a form of insanity.
    canukstormmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 23 of 33
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,732member
    saarek said:
    I wish they did a 16” MacBook Air.
    100% agree,
  • Reply 24 of 33
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,732member
    lkrupp said:
    ireland said:
    Darn, my 2015 Air has an SD Card slot. Apple, ffs, add SD Card (MagSafe and headphone jack). Make MBA great again.

First things first: dongles are the worst. If MBA gets no SD Card I would be forced into buying a more powerful, thicker, heavier, more expensive machine I don't want with less web browsing battery life than my current 2015 MBA (new battery).

So I'd have less ports and worse web browsing battery life than my then 7 year old MBA. Seriously.
    There are plenty of Windows laptops that can meet your requirements. Why not buy one of them instead of being “forced” by Apple to buy something you don’t want? Seriously.
    You were probably the same person who probably told people to do the same thing and go buy Windows machines when Apple royally screwed up the MBP line from 2016 till Monday only to have them reverse course and build a proper Pro machine or else lose the creative professional or software development market to Windows.  Good thing the senior leaders at Apple can recognize their mistakes and are willing to change their minds when wrong. If Apple can bring back ports to the MBP, nothing stopping them from bringing back the SD card slot that they once had on the MBA.
    edited October 2021 williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 33
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,043member
    Fun question: The MacBook Air and the iPad Pro have the same processor. They cost roughly the same price. They are both thin and reasonably light. The iPad Pro has a detachable keyboard while the MacBook Air has an attached keyboard. Be honest, why would many (most?) people only consider getting the Mac Book Air rather than the iPad Pro?

The answer is the operating system. As The Verge just said, "iPadOS continues to underwhelm and disappoint". iPadOS goes out of its way to prevent you from doing the things you need to do. You don't get to decide what software you run, Apple does. You don't get to decide which parts of the hardware you own you can use, Apple does. Mac OS lets you run amazing software like Parallels, Photoshop or Steam. iPadOS does not. Why is this? The hardware is nearly identical so why does Apple make iPadOS so limited? Why can't it put MacOS on the iPad with a touch screen user interface? Why can't it make iPadOS have the same open nature that MacOS has?

This all comes down to Apple's management's need to control everything. This is not good for business. It is not good for customers. It is a form of insanity.
    Please. Verge = pro-troll outlet. 

You're living in an alternate reality. Here IRL, we see that Apple's walled garden approach and its product roadmap have been incredibly good for business, because its good for their customers who value and enjoy it. I'm a Windows desktop developer by day, and very happy Apple ecosystem customer by night (well, actually also "by day" these days as I work from home). What you fail to understand is that it is not a matter of "Why can't Apple put macOS on iPad!", as it obviously could. They choose not to. It's not a desktop OS, and its console-like approach to doing things is what makes it work so well for so many people. Especially people who hate computers, get confused easily, etc. I haven't had to do tech support for my family in years, and it's glorious. Need more? Use their desktop OS products. I use iPad for many of my daily tasks, and Macs for other tasks. Right tool, right job. And all tools have trade-offs.

Sounds like you're just not happy with these tools. Why don't you try something else? Do you like Dells? Have you tried a Microsoft tablet?
    edited October 2021 williamlondonimergingeniousroundaboutnow
  • Reply 26 of 33
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,911member
    ireland said:
    Darn, my 2015 Air has an SD Card slot. Apple, ffs, add SD Card (MagSafe and headphone jack). Make MBA great again.

First things first: dongles are the worst. If MBA gets no SD Card I would be forced into buying a more powerful, thicker, heavier, more expensive machine I don't want with less web browsing battery life than my current 2015 MBA (new battery).

So I'd have less ports and worse web browsing battery life than my then 7 year old MBA. Seriously.
    Seriously a god damn SD Card slot is a major sticking point for you? LOL FFS! Kinda sounds like you want pro features in a consumer laptop for a consumer price. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 27 of 33
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,997member

Please. Verge = pro-troll outlet. 

You're living in an alternate reality. Here IRL, we see that Apple's walled garden approach and its product roadmap have been incredibly good for business, because its good for their customers who value and enjoy it. I'm a Windows desktop developer by day, and very happy Apple ecosystem customer by night (well, actually also "by day" these days as I work from home). What you fail to understand is that it is not a matter of "Why can't Apple put macOS on iPad!", as it obviously could. They choose not to. It's not a desktop OS, and its console-like approach to doing things is what makes it work so well for so many people. Especially people who hate computers, get confused easily, etc. I haven't had to do tech support for my family in years, and it's glorious. Need more? Use their desktop OS products. I use iPad for many of my daily tasks, and Macs for other tasks. Right tool, right job. And all tools have trade-offs.

Sounds like you're just not happy with these tools. Why don't you try something else? Do you like Dells? Have you tried a Microsoft tablet?
    I’m fine with them not putting MacOS on the iPad, but why Apple hasn’t properly developed iPadOS is a valid question. I bought a 12” iPad Pro 5 years ago with the intent of it replacing my laptop. I lasted about a month before I gave up and got a MBP. I still use it but even today I’m regularly frustrated with its shortcomings. 

There’s nothing that’s limited by the hardware; it’s all software. Even basic things like creating and editing groups in the address book are still impossible. People have been complaining that a ‘pro’ MacBook shouldn’t have an SD slot, bout shouldn’t a Pro iPad at least have a fully functional address book?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 28 of 33
    saarek said:
    I wish they did a 16” MacBook Air.
    I have seen rumors that a 15” or 16” MBA is planned. I think it would be a huge seller: a big beautiful screen, the longest battery life because it uses the most efficient M2 chip and has a bigger chassis than the smaller one for a bigger battery, and in everyday basic tasks it will have performance and responsiveness that kills all but the most high end machines.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    We know the pattern now. The Mx chip comes out first. It has a new architecture and is aimed at the low end/low power models while the Mx higher performance variants (Pro/Max/?) come out the following year. The M1 was put in the Mac mini, MacBook Air, iPad Pro, and the iMac 24". The M1 Pro/Max went into the MacBook Pros the following year.
    Here is my prediction based purely on extrapolation: In 2022 we can expect to see the M2 in the Mac mini, MacBook Air and iPad Pro. The consumer iMacs will get the M1 Pro/Max possibly in the first half of the year (consumer iMacs traditionally have had laptop components). The M2 Pro/Max/? will appear in the iMac Pro and Mac Pro which will complete the transition to Apple Silicon will be released in late 2022 or some time in 2023. From then on we should expect tick/tock releases of new Apple Silicon on a bi-annual refresh of each while the A series iPhone/iPad chips which will remain on an annual refresh.
    You don't mention the Mini getting the Mx Pro/Max chip. Was that an accident, or do you think it will never get that chip?
    I've had that same thought.  Perhaps Apple might worry a Mac mini with the Max silicon would be too tempting for too many. I'd buy one in a heart beat.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    crowley said:
    I never liked the taper of the MBA (or any of the MBA look-alikes). The original MBA with the thin edge all round looked better IMO
    Huh?  MBA has always had a taper.  The original was also wedge shaped.
    Yea, you're right. I do recall the original had an overall taper (although I confess I just now looked up some images to refresh my memory). But they didn't have the more pronounced "wedge" with flat sides like they all are from 2nd gen on. The way that all four sides of the original MBA taper to a thin edge obscures that taper quite effectively, I think. When Steve Jobs introducing the MBA by pulling it out of that envelope, you could barely detect the taper.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    crowley said:
    I never liked the taper of the MBA (or any of the MBA look-alikes). The original MBA with the thin edge all round looked better IMO
    Huh?  MBA has always had a taper.  The original was also wedge shaped.
    Yea, you're right. I do recall the original had an overall taper (although I confess I just now looked up some images to refresh my memory). But they didn't have the more pronounced "wedge" with flat sides like they all are from 2nd gen on. The way that all four sides of the original MBA taper to a thin edge obscures that taper quite effectively, I think. When Steve Jobs introducing the MBA by pulling it out of that envelope, you could barely detect the taper.
    Yes, but as a consequence they had to put all of the ports in a little flap down.  The design may have made it look thinner, but it was a goof.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,686member

Wishful thinking...
    First, this Winter sometime, Apple will re-release the MacBook and introduce with it the M2. (MBP 13" will be discontinued. Price/performance wise this will fill the gap between the Air and MacBook Pro's.)
    Then, in Spring, revamped Air and mini with an updated design and an M2.
    At WWDC22 we'll finally get new iMac "pro" with the new M1 Ultra (16+4 CPU, 32/48/64 GPU) and 24" iMac will get an M2 bump.
    Then in late Fall 2022, they'll release the Mac Pro with the new M1 Extreme (32+8 CPU, 64/96/128 GPU) - this will be the end of the transition.
    And also give us a higher end mini with at least the M1 Pro and possibly M1 Max, with a much higher price of course.
    The Pro/Max/Ultra/Extreme SoC's will get updated every other generation, so M2 will be skipped, and then we'll get these for the M3, then M5, M7 etc.

Most likely...
    At WWDC Apple will announce M1 Ultra and M1 Extreme. The "pro" iMac will be released and the Mac Pro will be announced for release later in the year.
    In the Fall/late Summer, the M2 will be introduced and all M1 systems will get upgraded to it. 
    A 12" and 14" MacBook will be released to replace the 13" MBP (and possibly the MBA).

No consumer products will get mini-LED displays or ProMotion, those will be reserved for "pro" systems.
    The M2 will not use A15 cores, but instead jump to next gen. A16 cores.
    And as mentioned above, the Pro/Max/Ultra/Extreme variants will have a longer upgrade cycle than the consumer systems.
    An Intel model of the Mac Pro will stick around and be updated to latest generation XEON CPU's.

edited October 2021 williamlondon
  • Reply 33 of 33
    Are we now just dumping the wishlist into 2022?

also, the MBA getting an M2 would be weird. Except if the M2 will be a small incremental upgrade.
    williamlondon