Chinese students sue Apple over not including chargers with iPhones

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    techrider said:
    Apple still includes a plastic logo sticker in every box, changes the phone dimensions which prevents you from reusing a protective plastic case that could easily last 5-7 years, and includes a charging cable that can’t be used until you buy something it can plug into. I think their green intentions contain a mixed message.
    And let’s not forget that ridiculous subscriber phone line charge you get hit with every time you upgrade your phone.
    And what does that have to do with Apple or this article?  Change phone companies, or complain to them.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 46
    darkvader said:
    applguy said:
    Light bulb sold separately… Batteries not included… These will also prevent you from using the device you just bought. Should every company be sued selling a non-functioning product. 

Yes, if they sold a non-functioning product they should be sued.  If all pieces to make something work aren't included, it should be sold as parts, not pretending to be a complete product.

And maybe your experience is different, but everything I've bought in the last several years has had batteries included, and most lights include a bulb now.
    If the batteries are disposable (prone to leaking with age), they are not usually included.

I've never seen a light (except utility/LED style) include a bulb/lamp.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 46
    techrider said:
    Apple still includes a plastic logo sticker in every box, changes the phone dimensions which prevents you from reusing a protective plastic case that could easily last 5-7 years, and includes a charging cable that can’t be used until you buy something it can plug into. I think their green intentions contain a mixed message.
    What is included in the box is a USB‑C to Lightning Cable.This is because Android charging cable cannot be plugged into iPhone Lightning port. 
    Genius's - PERFECT logic! /sarcasm

They include a USB-C -> Lightening cable because USB-C is required to take advantage of the 18w charging & Lightening in what's on the phone.  GENIUS!

BTW - what is the "Android charging cable" you speak of?  I've never seen a "standard" one.  On Android phones produced today, there at least 2 x different USB style connectors on the phone end & 2 x different USB style connectors on the AC adapter end.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 46
    crowley said:
    I just went through the purchase process on the online store.  They ask you what model you want, what colour you want, what size storage you want, whether you have an iPhone to trade in, whether you want to pay monthly or in full, whether you want AppleCare.... but not whether you need a charger.  You can find chargers in related items, after scrolling past cases, MagSafe things, AirPods and AirTags.  They're in literally the last section, next to HomePod Minis and Lightning to 3.5mm adaptors.

I don't really understand why Apple are doing this.  Yes, not including a charger is a decent thing to do environmentally, but burying the option to buy a charger that customers might actually need?

They're not as clear about not including a charger as they imply they are.
    Did you miss the section, "What's included?".  There's not AC adapter listed.  The purpose of the "What's included?" is explicitly there to leave no doubt about what's included.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 46
    sflocal said:
    sflocal said:
    techrider said:
    …includes a charging cable that can’t be used until you buy something it can plug into. I think their green intentions contain a mixed message.
    Really?  I just picked up my iPhone13 yesterday.  Opened it up, plugged it right into the same cable/charger in my wall that I’ve been using for years.

I didn’t have to buy “something” to plug into it.

your argument fails.

His argument only fails once you realize Apple forced its customers to go out and buy USB-C bricks to support the USB-C cable it included in with its phone.  Prior to that, most used the obsolete 5W chargers Apple had been supplying.

So, you already had one?   Should we applaud?
    I wish someone told me my 5W charger is "obsolete" when I charge it overnight and it's 100% full in the morning.  *yawn*

#firstworldproblem

An Apple Two may still work.   But its still obsolete
    Do you think an Apple Two meets anyone's need today as a general purpose computer (the AC adapter is a general purpose AC -> DC converter)?

If the charger meets the users requirements (overnight charging) and works as well as it ever has, it is not obsolete.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 46
    MplsP said:
    This is a bit ironic coming from the land of cheap chinese knockoff chargers!

Like Apple sells?
    It's hard for Apple to sell a knockoff of their own devices (by definition).

I've never had an Apple AC adapter fail.  In general that's all I buy, except for multi-port USB-A/USB-C desktop chargers.  I know many people who pick up a lightening cable, DC/DC adapter (car) or AC/DC converter at a gas station that fails soon.

And yes - I have tubs of unused USB-A & USB-C AC/DC converters.  I give them away to family/friends, when one of their knock-offs fail.
    edited October 2021 watto_cobra