iPhoto questions

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I just a new iMac after 5 years in the PC world. I have two questions about iPhoto.

1. Is there any way possible to reduce the size of a photo? I have photos with large (one meg and larger) file sizes that I'm hesitant to email to friends with dialup accounts.

2. iPhoto seems to pop up every ten minutes or so on my screen, automatically starting up. It also does this on startup. How can I stop this annoying thing from happening? Thanks so much

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Welcome.

Quote:

1. Is there any way possible to reduce the size of a photo? I have photos with large (one meg and larger) file sizes that I'm hesitant to email to friends with dialup accounts.

First thing you should know is that iPhoto always keep an original unedited file in its library, and makes a copy of it when you edit the image i any way. If you're concerned about e-mailing the image, use the E-Mail button to send the selected image(s). in iPhoto 2 at least, a dialog will pop up and ask you what size you want to make the images and will then automatically attach the resized picture in a new e-mail message. (You can choose what e-mail app to use in iPhoto's preferences.) iPhoto does the same sort of thing when you publish your images to your homepage, resizes them at that time.

Quote:

2. iPhoto seems to pop up every ten minutes or so on my screen, automatically starting up. It also does this on startup. How can I stop this annoying thing from happening?

Curious. Make sure that iPhoto isn't in your login items list, under your System Preferences (under the Apple menu at the top left). I'm not sure why it would pop up every ten minutes after that. Is it popping up with any alerts or anything?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Oops...nevermind. BuonRotto beat me to it.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Welcome.

Thanks so much for the quick reply. Using their email was the ticket.

As far as going into the control panel, it's not in my login itms list. It hasn't popped up lately, so maybe it's getting tired of the hassle of popping and then put away, I don't know. Thanks again.

Dale

First thing you should know is that iPhoto always keep an original unedited file in its library, and makes a copy of it when you edit the image i any way. If you're concerned about e-mailing the image, use the E-Mail button to send the selected image(s). in iPhoto 2 at least, a dialog will pop up and ask you what size you want to make the images and will then automatically attach the resized picture in a new e-mail message. (You can choose what e-mail app to use in iPhoto's preferences.) iPhoto does the same sort of thing when you publish your images to your homepage, resizes them at that time.

Curious. Make sure that iPhoto isn't in your login items list, under your System Preferences (under the Apple menu at the top left). I'm not sure why it would pop up every ten minutes after that. Is it popping up with any alerts or anything?