Format MacPro 2013 - Will it make a big difference?

zozo
Posted:
in Genius Bar
Hey all,

Been a while. 

About to make the jump with my venerable MacPro 2013 (3GHz 8 Core Xeon + 32GB Ram + AMD FirePro D700 6GB) from 10.14 to Monterey. 

Long thing short: just reinstall over everything or format? Will there be a significant improvement?

PS Upgrade the processors and RAM as well? (on ebay there's some... not sure if it's worth it)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Just do it and run it... If you want to see a big improvement, replace your spinning start-up HDD with SSD (if you haven't already) !

Once you start replacing CPU's, RAM, HDDs... et al... it's possible you'd get better performance for less money (task-dependent!) by just buying a M1-Mini :) 
  • Reply 2 of 3
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Just do it and run it... If you want to see a big improvement, replace your spinning start-up HDD with SSD (if you haven't already) !

Once you start replacing CPU's, RAM, HDDs... et al... it's possible you'd get better performance for less money (task-dependent!) by just buying a M1-Mini :) 
    Good point about M1 Mini... but I'm kind of affectioned to this trash can :)
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Yes.... the tiny little M1 Mini(if you can wait until the spring it will have the 2nd gen chips) will run rings around your old MacPro.  My M1Pro does.