Apple stock closes at record high, Microsoft unseated for top valuation

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2021
Apple shares have hit a record high amid new "Apple Car" rumors, with Microsoft tumbling from its position as the world's most valuable company.

Credit: Laurenz Heymann/Unsplash

The Cupertino company's share prices hit a record high on Friday following a report Thursday that the company was accelerating efforts to launch a vehicle.

Apple shares surged more than 1% Friday afternoon to above $160. After the "Apple Car" report was published Thursday, Apple's share price surged around 2.5%. The company's stock closed at $160.55 after the bell rang on Friday.

In late October, Microsoft overtook Apple in terms of market valuation. After the Thursday and Friday surges, Apple regained its position and dethroned Microsoft's brief run as the world's most valuable company.

Apple's total market capitalization, which is calculated by multiplying share price by number of outstanding shares, was $2.63 trillion as of market close Friday.

The Bloomberg report on Thursday, citing sources familiar with Apple's car development, indicated that the company had decided to pursue a fully autonomous vehicle that could lack a steering wheel and pedals.

According to the report, Apple was targeting an aggressive release timeline of 2025 for its self-driving car. Recently, Apple's Special Projects Group -- which is working on the vehicle -- hit a key milestone in the development of a specialized chip to power the "Apple Car's" autonomous features.

Apple's entry into the electric car space, which the company has not yet publicly confirmed, would put it in direct competition with existing players like Tesla, Rivian, and legacy automakers who are pursuing an EV strategy.

Earlier on Friday, Morgan Stanley analyst Katy Huberty predicted that the "Apple Car" could be a "game changer" for the automotive industry. Wedbush's Daniel Ives also forecast that Apple would announce some type of strategic EV partnership in 2022 to set the stage for a potential launch three years later.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    I hold both stocks so I’m happy.
    lkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 29
    "aggressive release timeline of 2025"

Well not that aggressive.  Project Titan has been underway for a decade, right?
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 29
    The Zunemobile will put MS back on top... ;)
    I think Xboxster would probably get poopooed by Porsche.
    edited November 2021 Detnatorlkruppjas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 29
    Apple shares have hit a record high amid new "Apple Car" rumors, with Microsoft tumbling from its position as the world's most valuable company.

The Cupertino company's share prices hit a record high on Friday following a report Thursday that the company was accelerating efforts to launch a vehicle.

Apple shares surged more than 1% Friday afternoon to above $160. After the "Apple Car" report was published Thursday, Apple's share price surged around 2.5%. The company's stock closed at $160.55 after the bell rang on Friday.

In late October, Microsoft overtook Apple in terms of market valuation. After the Thursday and Friday surges, Apple regained its position and dethroned Microsoft's brief run as the world's most valuable company.

Apple's total market capitalization, which is calculated by multiplying share price by number of outstanding shares, was $2.63 trillion as of market close Friday.

The Bloomberg report on Thursday, citing sources familiar with Apple's car development, indicated that the company had decided to pursue a fully autonomous vehicle that could lack a steering wheel and pedals.

According to the report, Apple was targeting an aggressive release timeline of 2025 for its self-driving car. Recently, Apple's Special Projects Group -- which is working on the vehicle -- hit a key milestone in the development of a specialized chip to power the "Apple Car's" autonomous features.

Apple's entry into the electric car space, which the company has not yet publicly confirmed, would put it in direct competition with existing players like Tesla, Rivian, and legacy automakers who are pursuing an EV strategy.

Earlier on Friday, Morgan Stanley analyst Katy Huberty predicted that the "Apple Car" could be a "game changer" for the automotive industry. Wedbush's Daniel Ives also forecast that Apple would announce some type of strategic EV partnership in 2022 to set the stage for a potential launch three years later.

Read on AppleInsider
    So Apple will take full liability of Apple Car? Every rider will assume the luxury of a queen sitting in Apple Car? 
    anonconformist
  • Reply 5 of 29
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,340member
    So Apple will take full liability of Apple Car? Every rider will assume the luxury of a queen sitting in Apple Car? 
    No one seems to know that question, but I wouldn't expect the "passengers" to be held liable, since they are not drivers.  No doubt the nutty bloodsucking lawyers will try to still pin problems on "car owners" simply due to the fact it's their car, but I look forward to the day all police traffic stops end.  No more unmarked cars, speed traps, and quote fillers!  Perhaps LED tech can help keep tail lights from burning out as quickly as the bulbs do, and an onboard computer could detect when a light is out, then suggest a low cost replacement to the car owner -- all without police intervention.  No more, "oops! I didn't see the guy!" accidents either.  Indeed, most stupid accidents may become a thing of the past.  I really look forward to this.

However...

I still don't believe in 100% autonomy with current tech.  The human brain is a far more powerful computer than anything these programmers have come up with to date, and no doubt that includes Apple too.  I cannot see how a car can drive itself under all circumstances.  A lot of tech used in 2021 Toyota cars that keep the thing in the lane relays on painted lines.  What about roads with no paint?  Even Toyota's Radar Cruise stops working when it sees a curve in the road!  What about when a 100% autonomous car encounters potholes, sudden harsh sunlight reflections, fog, etc?  What happens when a paved road becomes a dirt road?  What happens when the car encounters something it was never programmed for (which would probably be all the time)?  I'd hope it would just stop, but then if it never moved, what happens next?  

I wish Apple well, but there are a lot of unanswered questions about 100% autonomy.  And then the question becomes, how will Apple's shift to cars affect its existing business?  They've always be laser focused on what they do well, and they do few things as a result.  Wouldn't the automotive business become a distraction?  And what of restless lawmakers who can't rest until the've enacted another silly law, always seeking to nail "big tech" to the wall merely because they classify it as "too big" and therefore naughty under anti-trust law?  As Apple grows its business (as it should in a free market), law-makers will increasingly find ways to shoot it down.  Quite sad, but it's the living reality we have today.
    anonconformistwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 29
    jdw said:
    No one seems to know that question, but I wouldn't expect the "passengers" to be held liable, since they are not drivers.  No doubt the nutty bloodsucking lawyers will try to still pin problems on "car owners" simply due to the fact it's their car, but I look forward to the day all police traffic stops end.  No more unmarked cars, speed traps, and quote fillers!  Perhaps LED tech can help keep tail lights from burning out as quickly as the bulbs do, and an onboard computer could detect when a light is out, then suggest a low cost replacement to the car owner -- all without police intervention.  No more, "oops! I didn't see the guy!" accidents either.  Indeed, most stupid accidents may become a thing of the past.  I really look forward to this.

However...

I still don't believe in 100% autonomy with current tech.  The human brain is a far more powerful computer than anything these programmers have come up with to date, and no doubt that includes Apple too.  I cannot see how a car can drive itself under all circumstances.  A lot of tech used in 2021 Toyota cars that keep the thing in the lane relays on painted lines.  What about roads with no paint?  Even Toyota's Radar Cruise stops working when it sees a curve in the road!  What about when a 100% autonomous car encounters potholes, sudden harsh sunlight reflections, fog, etc?  What happens when a paved road becomes a dirt road?  What happens when the car encounters something it was never programmed for (which would probably be all the time)?  I'd hope it would just stop, but then if it never moved, what happens next?  

I wish Apple well, but there are a lot of unanswered questions about 100% autonomy.  And then the question becomes, how will Apple's shift to cars affect its existing business?  They've always be laser focused on what they do well, and they do few things as a result.  Wouldn't the automotive business become a distraction?  And what of restless lawmakers who can't rest until the've enacted another silly law, always seeking to nail "big tech" to the wall merely because they classify it as "too big" and therefore naughty under anti-trust law?  As Apple grows its business (as it should in a free market), law-makers will increasingly find ways to shoot it down.  Quite sad, but it's the living reality we have today.
    Human beings cannot compete with computer speed. They are lights years apart. Have you ever hit a deer on the road? The deer will not run toward the car. They saw the car but miscalculated how fast the car was moving. If the deer can see the car coming, the car can see the deer running on the road. Why you hit the deer? Because it takes at least a second for you to put foot one the brake. The computer can apply the brake instantaneously. This one second difference will allow the deer to move across the lane the car was on. So 99% of the time, a deer won't be hit by a computer driven car.

Autonomous car will reduce accident dramatically. The lawyers will find no case to sue. They will be starving. 
    Alex_Vjas99
  • Reply 7 of 29
    p-dogp-dog Posts: 131member
    mobird said:
    The Zunemobile will put MS back on top... ;)
    I think Xboxster would probably get poopooed by Porsche.
    The Zunemobile WILL be offered in brown.
    zeus423Alex_Valanhjas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 29
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,340member
    Human beings cannot compete with computer speed. They are lights years apart. 
    Yes, but "garbage in, garbage out" still rules the game.  

My brain may be slower and my sensors fewer, but I can still outsmart any "autonomous" car on the road today, and I suspect that will remain true in 2025.  This truth does not undermine the progression toward full autonomy.  It merely states the state of things right now.  Will cars be 100% autonomous and better than human drivers in the future?  Yes!  Will that be 2025?  No.  Will that be during my lifetime?  I am skeptical.  But the day will come.  We simply need to keep our expectations in perspective.  A lot of the reason AAPL is skyrocketing now is due to the 2025 Apple Car news.  But no one can say what, if anything, will debut in 2025.  For now, enjoy the stock rise!
    edited November 2021 StrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 29
    When MSFT passed AAPL in market cap there were dozens of articles, at least one by every news service.  I checked market caps after close today, low and behold they swapped back but this is the only article anywhere that mentions it.  Not even a peep on other Applecentric sites (MacRumors or 9to5mac).  
    mikeybabeslkruppjas99
  • Reply 10 of 29
    jdw said:

My brain may be slower and my sensors fewer, but I can still outsmart any "autonomous" car on the road today, and I suspect that will remain true in 2025.  This truth does not undermine the progression toward full autonomy.  It merely states the state of things right now.  Will cars be 100% autonomous and better than human drivers in the future?  Yes!  Will that be 2025?  No.  Will that be during my lifetime?  I am skeptical.  But the day will come.  We simply need to keep our expectations in perspective.  A lot of the reason AAPL is skyrocketing now is due to the 2025 Apple Car news.  But no one can say what, if anything, will debut in 2025.  For now, enjoy the stock rise!
    I will give you another perspective. By the end of 19th century, physicists thought the whole world can be calculated perfectly with Newton's laws and Maxwell's equations. The computer can calculate everything if it has all knowledge of surroundings. Once these parameters can be obtained, the calculation can be done. 
  • Reply 11 of 29
    robabarobaba Posts: 228member
    jdw said:

However...

Human beings cannot compete with computer speed. They are lights years apart. Have you ever hit a deer on the road? The deer will not run toward the car. They saw the car but miscalculated how fast the car was moving. If the deer can see the car coming, the car can see the deer running on the road. Why you hit the deer? Because it takes at least a second for you to put foot one the brake. The computer can apply the brake instantaneously. This one second difference will allow the deer to move across the lane the car was on. So 99% of the time, a deer won't be hit by a computer driven car.

Autonomous car will reduce accident dramatically. The lawyers will find no case to sue. They will be starving. 
    Yeah, what are you stupid?  Bet you’d just let yourself get shot by a sniper too. /s. 

The problem with your”logic” is that it’s not just a matter of reaction time, but more importantly, recognition time.  A computer is great at the former, but really lousy in the real world at the latter.  Just ask Tesla, or Waymo, or Lift, or any of the other companies running pilot programs right now.  If people are dying with such a low sample rate what happens when they start pumping these things from every factory?
    jdwanonconformistStrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 29

Snap!
  • Reply 13 of 29
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    jdw said:

I will give you another perspective. By the end of 19th century, physicists thought the whole world can be calculated perfectly with Newton's laws and Maxwell's equations. The computer can calculate everything if it has all knowledge of surroundings. Once these parameters can be obtained, the calculation can be done. 
    Once an impossible thing is done everything is easy!
  • Reply 14 of 29
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,874member
    alanh said:

Snap!
    Microsoft products along with Intel have always been second rate never have owned and will never own like shopping at Walmart never.
    jas99
  • Reply 15 of 29
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    danox said:
    alanh said:

Snap!
    Microsoft products along with Intel have always been second rate never have owned and will never own like shopping at Walmart never.
    Investment in the stock market is not an expression of taste.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    When MSFT passed AAPL in market cap there were dozens of articles, at least one by every news service.  I checked market caps after close today, low and behold they swapped back but this is the only article anywhere that mentions it.  Not even a peep on other Applecentric sites (MacRumors or 9to5mac).  
    The Apple ‘fail’ narrative has become a touchstone of the media, a reliable subject for clicks and eyeballs. Apple has the eyes and ears of the world and people love to see the mighty fall. No better example than the AppleInsider forums where the fail narrative is dominant.
    jas99Alex_V
  • Reply 17 of 29
    jdw said:

You are comparing apples and orangutans and your assessment shows a huge ignorance of the difficulties involved.

Humans are involved in writing the code, and the sensors of all types are imperfect and easily fouled regardless of type. Perhaps I’ve missed the tests where full self-driving cars have been undergoing testing in snow and ice conditions which are far more interesting than all the past testing scenarios.

Oh, and if GPS goes out, they’ll need to rely on analyzing their surroundings entirely. There are places that GPS doesn’t reach now due to manmade as well as natural barriers that I’ve driven through. Remember a big story from last week about Russia shooting down one of their own satellites? GPS and related satellites will be the first thing knocked out should there be such conflicts, because they’re used for military targeting, and it’s an added bonus if you can scramble civilian infrastructure as well: I’ve not checked to see if our GPS satellites can be moved to different orbits or not, so that’s another reason to take them out.

I do developer support in my current role, I have also done many other types of development in my career, and I can reasonably conclude this: depending on all the humans regardless of their experience level to get it all correct, even if they did manage to think of all the possible conditions to check for, it’s amazing just how many minor-but-fatal-in-weird-situations code happen in practice.  This is true in code far simpler than what’s required for a self-driving car.

Full self-driving car solutions are not something that makes technically-feasible sense, where they’re in a full natural environment. Humans are amazing generalization machines, even if imperfect: a “perfect coder” that actually can identify every possible thing they need to address is more likely than not a unicorn and as easy to find.

My understanding of all that’s involved leads me to believe FSD will be “solved” but not actually solved, because it will get to the point where it is close enough to humans for how well it appears to work, but kill/injure people in the dumbest ways you’d imagine, and not remain legally-viable. That being said, where there’s money, stupid false and destructive things become “truth” historically, so I can’t rule that out.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    jdw said:

However...

You’ve got it backwards. Computers are no match for humans.

I can drive in a blizzard with the road completely covered and still manage to drive safely with only my two eyes for “sensors”. There isn’t an autonomous car available today that can operate in poor weather, even with multiple sensors, powerful computers and countless gigabytes of high-resolution GPS maps stored onboard.
    anonconformistStrangeDaysrobaba
  • Reply 19 of 29
    robaba said:
    jdw said:

However...

Yeah, what are you stupid?  Bet you’d just let yourself get shot by a sniper too. /s. 

The problem with your”logic” is that it’s not just a matter of reaction time, but more importantly, recognition time.  A computer is great at the former, but really lousy in the real world at the latter.  Just ask Tesla, or Waymo, or Lift, or any of the other companies running pilot programs right now.  If people are dying with such a low sample rate what happens when they start pumping these things from every factory?
    Human being recognize things by linking patterns. This is not difficult for computers to mimic. Driving is actually very easy thing. This is why in US every adult can get a driver license to drive. Ninety percent of the time the driver is only doing two things, keep the car moving along the line and speed up or down. All the driver sees are pattern after pattern. Accident happens when the pattern is interrupted. This is the time human beings try to link patterns, Computer can do similar things. Apple's M1X chip GPU can do this very fast. 
  • Reply 20 of 29
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,259member
    jdw said:

However...

Deer behave unpredictably at times, so do humans crossing the street. Sometimes deer run into the side of the car. Your example does not take road conditions into account either. I have yet to see an autonomous car test on a snowy road. Cars still obey the laws of physics. 
    anonconformistStrangeDays