Woman swallows AirPod instead of painkiller, records audio from stomach

Posted:
in iOS edited November 2021
A TikTok user has shared how she mistook one of her AirPods for Ibuprofen and accidentally swallowed it.

AirPods Pro
AirPods Pro


Saying on TikTok that she was sharing this information "for educational purposes," the Boston-based user named @iamcarliiib, explained that she had the pill in one hand.

"I was crawling into bed," she says in her TikTok video, "I had Ibuprofen 800 in my right hand and I had my left AirPod in my left hand."

"I like threw something back, took my water bottle and took a sip... then realised it wasn't the Ibuprofen," she said. "I tried puking it up and it won't come out."

It did come out through the normal course of events, though @iamcarliiib says that she had an x-ray to confirm it. And also that she won't be trying to use that AirPod again.

Separately, she has also revealed in a separate video that the swallowed AirPod was still connected to her iPhone while she was making a call.

Consequently, a voice memo she sent a friend included gurgling sounds recorded in her stomach.

It's not the first time that an AirPod has been swallowed. A Massachussetts man managed to swallow one in his sleep, and a seven-year-old from Georgia was to be taken to an emergency room after eating one.

Read on AppleInsider
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 24
    Now I know for whom Apple had the notice „don’t eat iPod shuffle“ in their manuals. 


    thtbtschumygregoriusmtwokatmewJaiOh81sdw2001headfull0wineBeatsmike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 24
    cg27cg27 Posts: 172member
    Almost had another Darwin Award candidate 
    lkrupplorca2770sdw2001mike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 24
    jeebus. because of this dumbass, now Apple will have to add “AirPods are not edible. Do not consume them.” to every box. 
    rob53lorca2770JaiOh81sdw2001michelb76watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 24
    TJCTJC Posts: 1member
    Appleinsideher
    gregoriusmzimmermannlkruppthinkman100000000retrogustoSpaceGrayAllDaycrowleyMisterKitviclauyycmacplusplus
  • Reply 5 of 24
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,258member
    Now I want AirPods with Bondi Blue and Key Lime
    byronlBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 24
    One of my favourite product instructions is the one that says, “Keep knives out of children”.
    sdw2001byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 24
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,355member
    Damn you Apple! Damn you Tim Cook! Where do I sign up for the class action lawsuit??!
    thinkman100000000Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 24
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,219member
    Accidents happen. I shouldn't be laughing but I can see how it can happen. 800mg Ibuprofen is pretty large but considering how slick the AirPod is, it can easily slip through. 

    I am amazed she's not poisoned by lithium which is pretty toxic. I guess the lithium in AirPod is tightly sealed enough to reduce the risk of toxic side effects if that happens. 


    Alex_Vbyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 24
    4 rather tiny 200mg (standard strength) Ibuprofen would be about the size of a somewhat large capsule - but significantly smaller than an iPod. But, this is far from the dumbest thing I've heard!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 24
    omasouomasou Posts: 364member
    It's amazing what someone will do for attention and to increase their social media presence.
    edited November 2021 iyfcalvinwilliamlondonsdw2001llamasconosciutomagman1979DnykjpRfC6fnBsmichelb76watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 24
    omasou said:
    It's amazing what someone will do for attention and to increase their social media presence.
    I fully agree.  So many of the Tik Tok videos are staged for just that.  Looking at the crocodile tears on this woman, to me, tells the story of a staged video.
    williamlondonstevegeemagman1979llamasconosciutomichelb76watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 24
    She’s serial stupid. Let’s hope she doesn’t breed. 
    magman1979Beatsmike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 24
    It’s tiktok 

    she did it on purpose for views. Sheesh. 

    Right up there with the tide pod thing. 
    maciekskontaktmagman1979llamacaladaniansconosciutowatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Wait for recordings until it is on its way out.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    It’s tiktok 

    she did it on purpose for views. Sheesh. 

    Right up there with the tide pod thing. 
    Exactly this came to my mind as madness of foolish people. Then we end up with labels designed for Darwin Award candidates like "do not eat", "choke hazard " on plastic parts of windows shades and other household stuff (or car like on antifreeze or coolant: "do not drink"). Supposedly it is to protect children. Well children who would do this cannot read yet, but as far as adults and irresponsible juveniles it is different story. They would blame others for their own stupidity and hire lawyers for gaining profit out of lawsuit. There are accidents, but they are really accidents and they are rare. I am looking forward to label that says "do not eat this label" for those "special" people.
    stevegeemagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Are her 15 minutes of fame up? I’m really getting tired of this stupidity. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 24
    I hope she got to poop it out 🥴
  • Reply 18 of 24
    I don't want to hear how it ends.
    fred1dewmeJWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 24
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 17,895member
    iyfcalvin said:
    omasou said:
    It's amazing what someone will do for attention and to increase their social media presence.
    I fully agree.  So many of the Tik Tok videos are staged for just that.  Looking at the crocodile tears on this woman, to me, tells the story of a staged video.
    Yeah, I agree.  She may have swallowed it, but this certainly seems like staged stunt to me.  
    iyfcalvinwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 24
    dewmedewme Posts: 4,378member
    Only in Massachusetts. This is the second albino clam we’ve seen those crazy Bay Staters ingest. Next time, maybe a little melted butter to help the thing slide down a little easier. 
    h4y3smagman1979watto_cobra
Sign In or Register to comment.