Foxconn must improve living conditions for workers at shuttered iPhone plant

Posted:
in iPhone
A cluster of food poisoning incidents and a protest shut down an Apple iPhone factory in India, and the reopening has been postponed yet again because of poor worker living conditions.

A week-long closure of the plant impacted by the food poisoning of workers will extend to at least 10 days. And, that opening won't be at full-strength -- instead of the 17,000 workers, production is said to restart on Thursday with only 1,000 on the assembly lines.

The incident has induced the local government to inspect the hostels where the workers live in off-hours. In a report published on Monday morning, Reuters reports that the state government has instructed Foxconn to investigate the quality of the living conditions at the plant.

According to sources, specific concerns include power backups at the hostel, food and water sanitation, and the lack of options for recreation.

A separate source within the government said to Reuters that Foxconn had "ramped up production too quickly." The same source said that they would ensure that workers living conditions were upgraded before the plant was allowed to resume full production speed.

The incident of food poisoning led to protests blocking a key highway, with plant workers and relatives among those in attendance, preventing traffic from flowing on the road. Close to 70 women were detained from the protest on Saturday, with all released on Sunday.

An official added that some of the 22 men held by police were arrested. Beyond the closures, neither Foxconn nor Apple has commented on the matter.

The plant is known to be used for producing the iPhone 11 in the country since July 2020, and was previously used to assemble the iPhone XR and original iPhone SE.

Production of the iPhone 12 is also being carried out at the factory, though it did suffer from a loss of production in May due to coronavirus infections.

The protest is the second major incident of unrest to occur at Apple-related facilities in India in just over a year. In December 2020, most of the 2,000 employees rioted at a Wistron iPhone plant, smashing glass and setting fire to vehicles.

The unrest at the time was caused by workers not receiving the full pay they were told they would be receiving at the time of joining the company. In response to the riot, and the determination by state authorities that the factory broke labor laws, Apple put Wistron on probation until it addressed the issues.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    This is probably just ignorance on my part, or maybe it’s because I’m use to the way we do things here in The States. 

Why would Apple or Foxconn have to deal with the living conditions of the workers in their factories?  Are living arrangements part of the agreement for employment? I feel this article should have at least explained this, just so we have some more context.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    This is probably just ignorance on my part, or maybe it’s because I’m use to the way we do things here in The States. 

Why would Apple or Foxconn have to deal with the living conditions of the workers in their factories?  Are living arrangements part of the agreement for employment? I feel this article should have at least explained this, just so we have some more context.

Effectively, those workers are Apple employees.  Foxconn is essentially just a contractor or middleman.  So, Apple holds some degree of responsibility for those employees.

The U.S. practiced worker abuse until Roosevelt strengthened regulations to protect American workers.  Since then, stopping abuse of workers has become a cornerstone of our democracy.   If we are to hold to our principles, worker protections against abuse by American companies do not stop when that American company operates in other countries. 
  • Reply 3 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Like in China, these manufacturers typically build barracks/dormitories around the plant for workers to live in while employed. The same thing used to happen in the U.S. in coal mines and steel plants. The company built the town, then charged for food in the company store and rent for the company owned homes. Sometimes the workers ended up owing money to the company for working there. And yes, that happened in the U.S. until unions and labor laws came.

Since this factory’s exclusive client is Apple that’s why Apple gets dragged into these controversies. With Apple’s name attached the media sharks smell more blood in the water. You don’t hear about the major clothing design companies and department store brands getting this kind of treatment over working conditions in their sweatshops in the  East, do you?
    edited December 2021 danoxthe1maximus
  • Reply 4 of 19
    So why would any company who cares about human rights operate in India?
    ....  Oh yeh, sales and profit.

In other news, India's Modi has frozen the financial accounts of Mother Teresa's Sisters of Charity because India's far right Hindu's don't like that they provide food, shelter, hospice care and education to India's countless destitute and homeless adults and children.  They claim the Sisters are converting them to Christianity -- even though Mother Teresa had always been 100% clear that they are religious agnostics:  they don't care what religion you are (if any) if you are an abandoned child, homeless & destitute or dying alone and that they only teach Christianity to those who are interested and request the teaching.

The result is that Modi and his far right Hindu's are blocking the Sisters from providing much needed food, shelter, hospice care and education to India's destitute and abandoned children.
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 5 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

In other news, India's Modi has frozen the financial accounts of Mother Teresa's Sisters of Charity because India's far right Hindu's don't like that they provide food, shelter, hospice care and education to India's countless destitute and homeless adults and children.  They claim the Sisters are converting them to Christianity -- even though Mother Teresa had always been 100% clear that they are religious agnostics:  they don't care what religion you are (if any) if you are an abandoned child, homeless & destitute or dying alone and that they only teach Christianity to those who are interested and request the teaching.

The result is that Modi and his far right Hindu's are blocking the Sisters from providing much needed food, shelter, hospice care and education to India's destitute and abandoned children.
    So George, what’s it like obsessing over all the injustice in the Western capitalism world knowing full well you can do absolutely nothing about it. Does ranting and raving about Western capitalism make you feel better. Do you sit down for a cup of hot cocoa after your rants, thinking you changed any minds? Just asking.

And by the way, Foxconn workers are NOT Apple employees no matter what your convoluted thinking tells you.
    edited December 2021 coolfactor9secondkox2
  • Reply 6 of 19
    1348513485 Posts: 347member
    lkrupp said:

So George, what’s it like obsessing over all the injustice in the Western capitalism world knowing full well you can do absolutely nothing about it. Does ranting and raving about Western capitalism make you feel better. Do you sit down for a cup of hot cocoa after your rants, thinking you changed any minds? Just asking.

And by the way, Foxconn workers are NOT Apple employees no matter what your convoluted thinking tells you.
    Sorry, I don't think he was "ranting and raving", he was just expressing an opinion. You are free to disagree but you probably shouldn't couch your criticism in pejorative terms.

I had 12 years of Catholic education, and we went from putting dimes in little envelopes every week to "save pagan babies" to making substantial contributions to Mother Teresa' organization. My brother-in-law is Indian, and his opinion is that the problems of India are too massive for any program whether private or governmental to have a measurable effect. He said that "compassion fatigue" is endemic there. This doesn't excuse Foxconn abuses, and while I do not ascribe the same level of complicity to Apple, Tim Cook should pick up the phone and threaten  some folks at Foxconn-India. Do the right thing, Tim.
    StrangeDaysGeorgeBMaclkrupp9secondkox2robaba
  • Reply 7 of 19

Effectively, those workers are Apple employees.  Foxconn is essentially just a contractor or middleman.  So, Apple holds some degree of responsibility for those employees.

The U.S. practiced worker abuse until Roosevelt strengthened regulations to protect American workers.  Since then, stopping abuse of workers has become a cornerstone of our democracy.   If we are to hold to our principles, worker protections against abuse by American companies do not stop when that American company operates in other countries. 
    Those workers are not Apple employees legally. Morally maybe. What is happening in India and China is a path of developing nations to become developed. This is completed when they are industrialized. Without enough basic living resources like shoes, clothes for the poor, the human rights standard in the highly developed nations is pie in the sky. 
    coolfactor9secondkox2
  • Reply 8 of 19
    lkrupp said:

It's not ranting & raving. Were it not for awareness and change campaigns, nothing would ever get better. See women's suffrage, civil rights movement, etc etc. Countless examples. 

Inversely, bootlicking gets us nowhere as a society. Whether that's bootlicking the police, or the status quo.

Foxconn workers are not Apple employees, but as they run many dedicated facilities Apple is a stakeholder and even Apple knows that, which is why they govern their suppliers to ensure labor practices compliance. "How and who" is as important as the "what" -- Apple's own words:

https://www.apple.com/supplier-responsibility/

The 2021 report:

https://www.apple.com/supplier-responsibility/pdf/Apple_SR_2021_Progress_Report.pdf

...she doesn't look like an Apple employee, right? Right, because she isn't. But as a supplier contractor working for Apple, they still audit and ensure labor practices are followed, because they aren't as laissez faire as you are. Rightfully so.
    edited December 2021 GeorgeBMacmuthuk_vanalingam9secondkox2
  • Reply 9 of 19

That's not true. They are employed by Foxconn, not Apple, but Foxconn's agreement with Apple ensures that workers are treated fairly and humanely.
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 10 of 19

That's not true. They are employed by Foxconn, not Apple, but Foxconn's agreement with Apple ensures that workers are treated fairly and humanely.

A previous mess with a firm Apple contracted with in India came out the same:  The place ended up shut down due to abusive labor practices.

Ultimately, those workers are being paid with Apple's money.  So, as I said:  Effectively, those workers are Apple employees and Apple has the final say in how they are treated.

9secondkox2
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Wow. How is it so hard for Foxconn to treat people like they matter? 

Just because many workers do t have many options doesn’t mean to treat them like their lives and welfare don't matter. 

Its disgusting. 

And this is a company that works with the US a lot. 

Hopefully the lens gets widened to focus on many other factories where the workers don’t have the benefit of their workplace getting exposed. 

And Apple, you do have the power to force change here. 
  • Reply 12 of 19

The hostels where these workers live are owned and maintained by the company. The workers do not go home after their shift ends. Very often their homes are in villages located in another state, and the only times they leave the company compound is during their vacation. 
    ronnthe1maximus
  • Reply 13 of 19
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,853member

India is a corrupt Quagmire like Brazil and will never work for Foxconn/Apple……
  • Reply 14 of 19
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    After the previous BS against workers at Apple producing factories in India, Tim Cook et al have to make sure that nothing is left to chance. Foxconn may need to lose contracts. They should most definitely have to pay all fines, fees and reparative damages as a result of their shitty work environments.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Wow. How is it so hard for Foxconn to treat people like they matter? 

Just because many workers do t have many options doesn’t mean to treat them like their lives and welfare don't matter. 

Its disgusting. 

And this is a company that works with the US a lot. 

Hopefully the lens gets widened to focus on many other factories where the workers don’t have the benefit of their workplace getting exposed. 

And Apple, you do have the power to force change here. 
    Worker abuse was happening in Foxconn plants in China.   Apple stepped in and it stopped.
    But this is India which has a culture of corruption.  It may be more pervasive and difficult to manage.  This situation will be fixed, but what about the next?

• Reply 16 of 19
    ronn said:
    After the previous BS against workers at Apple producing factories in India, Tim Cook et al have to make sure that nothing is left to chance. Foxconn may need to lose contracts. They should most definitely have to pay all fines, fees and reparative damages as a result of their shitty work environments.

India forces Apple to manufacture there if they want to sell there.   Apple may have asked Foxconn to manufacture there.  But, the place has lots of under the table issues and it's tough place to do business.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    It appears that Apple is actively involved in correcting this situation.  From Reuters:

'Apple (AAPL.O) said it had placed the southern Indian factory of iPhone assembler Foxconn (2317.TW) on probation after both companies found that some worker dormitories and dining rooms did not meet required standards.

Apple did not explain what probation meant.

When it placed the southern India plant of another supplier, Wistron Corp (3231.TW), on probation after unrest last year, it said it would not award that company new business until it addressed the way workers were treated.
    An Apple spokesperson said on Wednesday it had dispatched independent auditors to assess conditions at the dormitories "following recent concerns about food safety and accommodation conditions at Foxconn Sriperumbudur."

Apple said it had found that some of the dormitory accommodations and dining rooms, which were not on the factory's premises, did not meet its requirements and that it was working with the supplier to ensure a comprehensive set of corrective actions, adding that it will ensure its strict standards are met before the facility reopens."

waveparticleronn
  • Reply 18 of 19
    I dunno about Foxconn ... look at the con they pulled on Wisconsin.

Methinks do the right thing is not an integral part of their credo ...
    ronn
  • Reply 19 of 19
    robabarobaba Posts: 228member
    I dunno about Foxconn ... look at the con they pulled on Wisconsin.

Methinks do the right thing is not an integral part of their credo ...
    Wisconsin is what happens when international mega corps get too big to give a damn—contract law is consider a quaint idea for other to worry about.