Green texts in iMessages nudge teens to use iPhones

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    IreneW said:

"As long as Apple fails to recognize new messaging standards,"
    Oh ffs, [rolls eyes] Typical negative troll's context.
    Beatsscstrrfwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 61
    XedXed Posts: 2,574member
    I get irritated when someone in the group has an Android and the entire chat turns green!
    It really breaks the Group Chat's functionality.
    1. No group names, so you need to analyzing all the contacts to make sure it's the correct one (but I wonder if that's something Apple can address with Messages)
    2. Tapbacks don't work properly (see screenshot below of people having a laugh)
    3. Sometimes images and videos sent are ridiculously small in size (which I haven't yet figured out as to why this only happens occasionally)
    I know that Android has added support for Tapbacks, but I have yet to see it work in practice.

Beatsscstrrfwatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 61
    XedXed Posts: 2,574member
    typical said:
    Beats said:
    my sister literally went “Ew, that's gross,'" said Maher.

feel the same way and it’s a turn off also when I find a girl owns a droid. Not because they’re green but because they have a knockoff iPhone. Reminds me of people who think they’re rich wearing fake jewelry and knockoff Gucci.

Apple isn’t obligated to give anything away for free no matter what Epic says. Though I’ve argued iMessage+FaceTime for $1/month for knockoff iPhones/knockoff iPads would have been a great idea pre-FaceTime on browsers.

iMessage alone isn’t reason enough to switch/stick with real iPhones. Apple needs to stop playing with Apple Arcade and make some really good games with it. Games that encourage online play. Maybe add in iMessage and FaceTime support to the games. Improving Maps would help. I always supported the idea of Apple buying Yelp as it would make Maps more interesting. iCloud is too stingy with storage and TV+ has an ugly name and not much content yet.
    do people really think like this? that's the most ignorant bs I've ever heard in my life. if your phone brand is half of your personality something tells me you've got bigger issues than what someone else uses. 
    At least from my personal experience, someone who buys a cheap Android device because "they're all the same, you're just paying for the brand name" has many other issues going on. When I've gone through that several times and that seems to be a common red flag of bad decision (have I got stories!) -and- a lot of extra effort on my part because their shit is always not working right, why would I want to add those additional hardships when I could just narrow the pool slightly to weed out those outliers of society.
    edited January 2022 Beatsscstrrfwatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 61
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    dmorgan said:
    lkrupp said:
    SMS is SMS is SMS. Apple’s iMessages is their proprietary system and I think they are under no obligation to produce cross-platform versions of it unless they choose to, like Apple Music. Calling it anti-competitive or anti-trust is just another red herring hoisted up the flagpole to see if anyone salutes.

Critics want Apple to be just another tech company. We all should know that by now.
    Maybe Google should stop making cross platform apps for iPhones. Imagine your iPhone without one of the many apps made available to you by Google, including Google Search. 
    As many have said, my iPhone has been that way since Apple furst came out with Apple Maps.  I have no Google app and have not had since "Forever" on my iPhone.   Works great.   If I want to use Google search I use it in safari.  Or I can use Bing or Duck Duck Go or whatever else floats my boat. 

No one needs a Google app.  Some people may prefer it, which is there choice.  
    williamlondonscstrrfwatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 61
    cpsro said:
    Apple led the way, now the others want it to conform. Yeah, sure.
    I never understood why Europeans went "whole hog" for WhatsApp. WhatsApp won't do anything until the user gives FaceBook access to their entire contacts, which you know gets uploaded whole hog to the mother roach. Before FB owned WhatsApp, it was the same way, and when the news came out that FB was buying the company, I was relieved to not have used it. Signal demands access to contacts, too, but doesn't upload or store them--or so they say.
    It's likely a timing issue. WhatsApp is a few years older than iMessage and Europe has been more progressive when it comes to technology. By the time iMessage came in to replace SMS, Europe had already moved on from SMS to WhatsApp.
    williamlondonctt_zhwatto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 61
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    danvm said:
    Beats said:

feel the same way and it’s a turn off also when I find a girl owns a droid. Not because they’re green but because they have a knockoff iPhone. Reminds me of people who think they’re rich wearing fake jewelry and knockoff Gucci.

Apple isn’t obligated to give anything away for free no matter what Epic says. Though I’ve argued iMessage+FaceTime for $1/month for knockoff iPhones/knockoff iPads would have been a great idea pre-FaceTime on browsers.

iMessage alone isn’t reason enough to switch/stick with real iPhones. Apple needs to stop playing with Apple Arcade and make some really good games with it. Games that encourage online play. Maybe add in iMessage and FaceTime support to the games. Improving Maps would help. I always supported the idea of Apple buying Yelp as it would make Maps more interesting. iCloud is too stingy with storage and TV+ has an ugly name and not much content yet.

Well said. Apple is poised to dominate all of these. But they don’t. They just mess around, being content with dominating in phones and PCs. But they could easily dominate Google and game consoles if they actually decided to get serious. 
    You should consider that Apple is serious in gaming.  It's just that they bad at it.  Just look how they are doing with the Apple TV. 
    Apple TV Struggling, With Market Share Of Just 2% - Macworld UK
    Even MS, Nintendo and Sony are ahead of Apple as streaming devices.  What makes you think they will better than MS, Sony and Nintendo in the gaming console market?  

You realize Apple puts 4 year old+ chips in their apple TVs? Apple isn’t serious about gaming. Apple Arcade games have to support 6 year old devices so don’t expect big adventures like GTA or The Elder Scrolls anytime soon.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 47 of 61
    danvm said:
    roake said:
    dmorgan said:
    lkrupp said:
    SMS is SMS is SMS. Apple’s iMessages is their proprietary system and I think they are under no obligation to produce cross-platform versions of it unless they choose to, like Apple Music. Calling it anti-competitive or anti-trust is just another red herring hoisted up the flagpole to see if anyone salutes.

Critics want Apple to be just another tech company. We all should know that by now.
    Maybe Google should stop making cross platform apps for iPhones. Imagine your iPhone without one of the many apps made available to you by Google, including Google Search. 
    I tried to imagine it… It was actually pretty easy since I have no Google apps on my phone, and do not use Google search.
    Skeptical said:
    dmorgan said:
    lkrupp said:

Sorry mate but that is the dumbest post every. My phone has been Google free for years and I’m not missing anything. 
    If you are happy with out Google services, good for you.  Personally I only use Google Maps and sometimes Google Search.  But as today, Google dominates consumer services, far ahead compared to even Apple services. A lot of Apple customers will be affected if Google decides to stop making apps for iOS devices.  

BTW, did you know that Apple accepts billions of dollars every year to make Google Search the default engine?  If Apple recommends Google Search for their customers, then they aren't as bad as you think, right?  And if you ask me to choose between Apple services and Google services, I'll have to choose Google services.  They are miles ahead of what Apple offers.   Maybe that's the reason most customers go with Google and MS services over Apple services, including me.  

The fact that Apple “accepts” billions to allow Google to be the default is the opposite of Apple “recommends Google Search”. 
    williamlondonscstrrfwatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 61
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    dmorgan said:
    lkrupp said:

Never have downloaded or used a Google app or service on my iPhone. There is not anything that they offer that can’t be done with another app. 
    williamlondonscstrrfBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 61
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    IreneW said:

In what way? Was I wrong in any way? Please let me know in that case. 
    I just tried to pint out that it is currently impossible to have a proper cross-platform group chat, without using third-party apps. 
    avon b7ctt_zhwilliamlondon
  • Reply 50 of 61
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,053member
    dmorgan said:
    lkrupp said:

Will never happen. Different business models. Where Apple main business model is to sell Apple hardware to consumers, Google business model is to sell targeted ads. 

Whereas iMessage is a free feature (and just one of many features) unique to Apple devices that Apple hope will drive consumers to buy their hardware or discourage current Apple device users from switching. Google free apps on Apple devices serves to provide more personal data to one of the most desirable (and profitable) consumers to target ads toward.  

Apple limiting iMessage to Apple devices and Google making as many of their apps available on Apple devices as possible, serves the same purpose for both company ......  a way to maximize profits.  Apple has nothing to gain by making iMessage cross platform and Google has nothing to gain by not providing their apps, services or search on Apple devices. 

And remember this, China is the largest smartphone market in the World and they seem to manage fine, without any Google apps, services and search. With both Android and iOS. 
    edited January 2022 muthuk_vanalingamBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 61
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    chadbag said:
    dmorgan said:
    lkrupp said:

As many have said, my iPhone has been that way since Apple furst came out with Apple Maps.  I have no Google app and have not had since "Forever" on my iPhone.   Works great.   If I want to use Google search I use it in safari.  Or I can use Bing or Duck Duck Go or whatever else floats my boat. 

How do you know that?  For example, I need Google Maps, since Apple Maps is terrible for the area where I live and work.  Another example is Google Drive, which is far better than iCloud.  And you have to remember business and enterprises that use Google Workspace, where Apple has nothing similar to compare.  

Maybe you have no issues being without Google apps, but for most people that's not the case.  
  • Reply 52 of 61
    Beats said:
    danvm said:
    Beats said:

Well said. Apple is poised to dominate all of these. But they don’t. They just mess around, being content with dominating in phones and PCs. But they could easily dominate Google and game consoles if they actually decided to get serious. 
    You should consider that Apple is serious in gaming.  It's just that they bad at it.  Just look how they are doing with the Apple TV. 
    Even MS, Nintendo and Sony are ahead of Apple as streaming devices.  What makes you think they will better than MS, Sony and Nintendo in the gaming console market?  

You realize Apple puts 4 year old+ chips in their apple TVs? Apple isn’t serious about gaming. Apple Arcade games have to support 6 year old devices so don’t expect big adventures like GTA or The Elder Scrolls anytime soon.
    Nintendo has no issues selling the Switch, which has a very old processor.  To have an old processor is not excuse.  And if Apple sees that supporting 6 years old devices impact negativity the gaming experience, why they don't change the policy so that Apple Arcade works only in modern devices? 
  • Reply 53 of 61
    Beats said:
    danvm said:
    roake said:
    dmorgan said:
    lkrupp said:

I tried to imagine it… It was actually pretty easy since I have no Google apps on my phone, and do not use Google search.
    Skeptical said:
    dmorgan said:
    lkrupp said:

Sorry mate but that is the dumbest post every. My phone has been Google free for years and I’m not missing anything. 
    If you are happy with out Google services, good for you.  Personally I only use Google Maps and sometimes Google Search.  But as today, Google dominates consumer services, far ahead compared to even Apple services. A lot of Apple customers will be affected if Google decides to stop making apps for iOS devices.  

BTW, did you know that Apple accepts billions of dollars every year to make Google Search the default engine?  If Apple recommends Google Search for their customers, then they aren't as bad as you think, right?  And if you ask me to choose between Apple services and Google services, I'll have to choose Google services.  They are miles ahead of what Apple offers.   Maybe that's the reason most customers go with Google and MS services over Apple services, including me.  

The fact that Apple “accepts” billions to allow Google to be the default is the opposite of Apple “recommends Google Search”. 
    No, they recommend Google Search when they made it the default search engine for Apple devices.  Don't you think it would be better if they supported a more privacy focused search engine, like DuckDuckGo instead of accepting money from Google? 

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 54 of 61
    IreneW said:
    IreneW said:

In what way? Was I wrong in any way? Please let me know in that case. 
    I just tried to pint out that it is currently impossible to have a proper cross-platform group chat, without using third-party apps. 
    Negative Nelly, That's not what you said, and it's your penchant to frame everything in negatively - ffs. Check out this article (Apple uses Messages colors to bully Android users, says Google), RCS is *not* some new messaging standard, but don't let that get in the way of your framing.
    edited January 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 61
    danvm said:
    Beats said:
    danvm said:
    Beats said:

Nintendo has no issues selling the Switch, which has a very old processor.  To have an old processor is not excuse.  And if Apple sees that supporting 6 years old devices impact negativity the gaming experience, why they don't change the policy so that Apple Arcade works only in modern devices? 

BECAUSE THEY AREN’T SERIOUS ABOUT GAMING.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 56 of 61
    danvm said:
    Beats said:
    danvm said:
    roake said:
    dmorgan said:
    lkrupp said:

Skeptical said:
    dmorgan said:
    lkrupp said:

No, they recommend Google Search when they made it the default search engine for Apple devices.  Don't you think it would be better if they supported a more privacy focused search engine, like DuckDuckGo instead of accepting money from Google? 

Google is paying Apple billions to do that. How does that not make sense to you? That’s not Apple “recommending” anything, that’s Apple being payed to enforce a crappy monopoly.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 61
    danvm said:
    chadbag said:
    dmorgan said:
    lkrupp said:

How do you know that?  For example, I need Google Maps, since Apple Maps is terrible for the area where I live and work.  Another example is Google Drive, which is far better than iCloud.  And you have to remember business and enterprises that use Google Workspace, where Apple has nothing similar to compare.  

Maybe you have no issues being without Google apps, but for most people that's not the case.  

This is always a stupid and unfair scenario iKnockoff users like to use. They always like to give Google and unfair advantage while giving Apple ZERO.

How about this, let’s make it fair. Google removes all services from iPhone but Google can’t use any iPhone patents/inventions.  So nothing stolen from Apple, no Android. No knockoff iPhones stolen from Apple and no knockoff iPads stolen from Apple.

Because how unfair is it that Google pull all services but still able to use Apple technology to keep them profitable?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 58 of 61
    Beats said:
    danvm said:
    Beats said:Fir
    danvm said:
    Beats said:

BECAUSE THEY AREN’T SERIOUS ABOUT GAMING.
    First of all, making your comment in all caps doesn't make your comment trur.  Calm down, a try to have a normal conversation.  Based in your past comments, you take Apple things to personal. 

Back in to the conversation, how do you got to the conclusion that they aren't serious in gaming?   From my POV, the are trying to push Apple Arcade.  Today they had an announcement about their services, including Apple Arcade.  They also work to make console controllers compatible with their devices.  And also I have seen many TV ads, and even in their keynotes.  At one time they compared the iPad Pro with the Xbox One S.  

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/31/18044318/apple-ipad-pro-gaming-console-nba-xbox-one-s

Why make the comparison if you are not serious about gaming?
  • Reply 59 of 61
    Beats said:
    danvm said:
    Beats said:
    danvm said:
    roake said:
    dmorgan said:
    lkrupp said:

Skeptical said:
    dmorgan said:
    lkrupp said:

Google is paying Apple billions to do that. How does that not make sense to you? That’s not Apple “recommending” anything, that’s Apple being payed to enforce a crappy monopoly.
    If you ask me, when something like a search engine is by default, it's because it's the best for my customers, right?  And also Tim Cook said that Google Search is the best.  
    Tim Cook defends using Google as primary search engine on Apple devices | Ars Technica

If you ask me, it's in the same line as a recommendation.  
  • Reply 60 of 61
    Beats said:
    danvm said:
    chadbag said:
    dmorgan said:
    lkrupp said:

This is always a stupid and unfair scenario iKnockoff users like to use. They always like to give Google and unfair advantage while giving Apple ZERO.

How about this, let’s make it fair. Google removes all services from iPhone but Google can’t use any iPhone patents/inventions.  So nothing stolen from Apple, no Android. No knockoff iPhones stolen from Apple and no knockoff iPads stolen from Apple.

Because how unfair is it that Google pull all services but still able to use Apple technology to keep them profitable?
    I don't see how your comment is related to my post.  I just gave examples on how most of iOS users aren't been able to live without Google apps and services in their iOS devices.  Isn't that true?