'iPhone 14 Pro' could feature both hole-punch and pill-shape display design

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2022
Apple's new "iPhone 14 Pro" models will feature a new front design that includes both a hole-punch and a pill-shaped opening, according to a display analyst.

iPhone 14 Pro render
iPhone 14 Pro render

The "iPhone 14 Pro" and "iPhone 14 Pro Max" models are expected to ditch the notch for a new design this year, and reports have suggested that Apple could opt for either a hole-punch or pill-shaped design. However, analyst Ross Young of Display Supply Chain Consultants believes the two new models will include both.

In a tweet on Wednesday, Young says DSCC now believes "Apple will have a hole + pill design on the iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max models."

We now believe Apple will have a hole + pill design on the iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max models. The smaller hole will not be invisible...The two hole concept will be unique to Apple, like the notch, not similar to all the pill models from Huawei...Let's see those new renders pic.twitter.com/Udt8cTKzPZ

-- Ross Young (@DSCCRoss)

Like the notch, the dual opening concept will be "unique to Apple." Young added that the new iPhone models won't look anything like devices from manufacturers such as Huawei, which have included pill-shaped cutouts in the front display.

In a subsequent tweet, Young said that the hole will be for the Face ID dot projector, while the pill will house the front-facing camera and IR camera.

Rumors of Apple ditching the notch on the two "iPhone 14 Pro" models have become more common in recent years, with well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicting that the two Pro models could feature a hole-punch display design.

Young has had a good track record of accurate information regarding Apple's display technologies, including correct rumors about the inclusion of 120Hz ProMotion displays.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    And they can run on battery and make phone calls. Not sure why this is such breathtaking news. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 27
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Kinda looks like “notch lite”.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 27
    bluefire1 said:
    Hahahaha or notch wanna be…..
  • Reply 4 of 27
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Whatever ! I doubt this 2022 and 2023 iPhone 14/15 rumor any close to real because why Apple makes iPhone 14 with two on screen hole and pill, cut-out design ? Than, Apple changes very next year to under screen faceID for iPhone 15 ? Apple don't do such quick design changes. Apple keeps design for at least 2-4 years. Any thoughts ?
    edited January 2022 radarthekat
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Samsung is going to one-up them by including a punch, a pill *and* a notch!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 27
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    This is difficult to imagine. If the hole punch is small, why not just roll it into the pill?

The pill idea itself looks good to me and they look great on existing phones. 
  • Reply 7 of 27
    avon b7 said:
    This is difficult to imagine. If the hole punch is small, why not just roll it into the pill?

The pill idea itself looks good to me and they look great on existing phones. 
    It could be because they want to design a distinguishing look for the iPhone
    igorskywatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 27
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    LOl no. Apple has better tase then that. 
    But I’ll tell you what US happening. The rumour mill first said it would definitely be a hole punch. Then they said that it would unquestionably be a pill. Now they are saying it will absolutely be both. 

In another month or twi they will announce it will be a not h and say they were right all along. 

williamlondonradarthekatwebweaselwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 27
    I hope the rear cameras are flush like that mock up!
    radarthekatcitpekswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 27
    bluefire1 said:
    Kinda not, though.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Samsung is going to one-up them by including a punch, a pill *and* a notch!

A punchillotch?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 27
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    mike54 said:
    Tablets or capsules?  hmmm
    Definitely gelcaps.  
    mike54watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 27
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    What’s the point. Still a compromised design. Just get on with removing the notch full stop.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 27
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    That would be a far bigger incentive for me to upgrade from my X than changes to the notch (which after over 4 years of use I hardly notice)!
    CowboyDudebeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 27
    This makes sense and is completely in line with Apple’s design ethos by having the aesthetics lean into and emphasize the functionality, rather than doing a bad job trying to obscure it. Just like on the Apple stores, where they have large, attractive, shiny brackets holding the windows together rather than trying to hide small ones in there where the purpose is not immediately obvious and thus aesthetically confusing. They need a larger diameter opening for the camera, and a smaller diameter opening for the sensors. Hence, a hole punch and a pill. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 27
    No, i don’t believe it. It will be a pill. This just looks ridiculous.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 27
    omasouomasou Posts: 572member
    The picture looks like the existing components that are inside the notch today, just not blacked out.

I'm more interested in the leading article picture showing flush rear cameras!!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 27
    And then, people would complain that the phone is too thick.

We could get rid of notches, pills, and hole punches entirely, if the kids got over taking selfies. :-) 
    StrangeDaysCowboyDudewatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Hole punch and pill. Yes, no doubt this will happen. Apple will replace the notch with a design that offers no additional usable screen space and is uglier. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 27
    charlesn said:
    Hole punch and pill. Yes, no doubt this will happen. Apple will replace the notch with a design that offers no additional usable screen space and is uglier. 
    Okay Negative Nelly.
    patchythepiratewatto_cobra