Apple Music is the second most used music streaming service globally, Spotify remains in t...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
New research shows that Apple Music accounts for 15% of the global music streaming market, still falling behind streaming giant Spotify, which holds more than 30%.

Apple Music is the second-most widely used music streaming service, according to new research by MIDiA. The Cupertino-based tech giant caters to 15% of the nearly 524 million global listeners.

Spotify remains in the top spot with a 31% share in 2021, though the streaming service is down from 33% in 2020. Amazon Music and Tencent Music each take a 13% market share, while YouTube Music accounts for 8% of global subscriptions.

The report, initially spotted by 9to5Mac, points out that the global base has grown by 109.5 million by the end of Q2 2021, or roughly over 26% year-over-year.

Global streaming is up, largely spurred by COVID-19 boredom. In 2020, on-demand audio streaming services like Apple Music and Spotify saw growth of 16.2% globally over 2019.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    And how many of the 31% are free tier Spotify users? As is the case with a lot of areas, Apple isn't the top of the market share, but they are where it counts, which is revenue/profits. 
    edited January 2022 ravnorodomBeatslkruppwilliamlondonlostkiwiwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 2 of 21
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    macxpress said:
    And how many of the 31% are free tier Spotify users? As is the case with a lot of areas, Apple isn't the top of the market share, but they are where it counts, which is revenue/profits. 
    Really? Because I am constantly seeing ads for "free six months of Apple Music with said purchase!" I wonder how many of those users are in the mix here.
    michelb76davgreggrandact73williamlondonlostkiwibyronl
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Wonder where poor Pandora is at now. It’s used to be my go to streaming music but its music finding model just doesn’t work for me anymore. 
    watto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Bosa said:
    JinTech said:
    macxpress said:
    Really? Because I am constantly seeing ads for "free six months of Apple Music with said purchase!" I wonder how many of those users are in the mix here.
    Most Apple trial people keep it, I did and so did my brother and some friends. It’s just a great service , the lossless quality is the difference maker for me
    Never tried any other music service other than Apple Music and never will, I am also a big fan!
    genovelleBeatslostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 21
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    I have no facts other than a hunch….
    But I bet it’s killing Spotify to maintain number one.
    Or another way of saying, there is more to this story than meets the eye.
    I am an Apple Music user myself and have not tried any other.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 21
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member

“Really? Because I am constantly seeing ads for "free six months of Apple Music with said purchase!" I wonder how many of those users are in the mix here.”
    I think those ads are not from Apple… But 3rd party phone carriers looking to attract iPhone purchases.
    Beatsdewmeravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 21
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    JinTech said:
    macxpress said:

That’s not the same. Spotify has a free forever option. No purchase necessary.
    mike1williamlondonravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 21
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    This number is sad for Apple. They could have had the entire market. I’m still confused why Jimmy left. He was doing an amazing job. He has a relationship with the biggest artists and had the drive. I really thought Apple Records was coming with him on board and many people thought Apple Music would be the App Store for musicians.
    grandact73lkruppwilliamlondonlostkiwibyronl
  • Reply 9 of 21
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Driven by Apple One? It’s a no-brainer.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 21
    I still on Amazon Music with Amazon Prime!  They got me with 4 month free and since I have Prime, $7.99 a month afterwards.    Apple Music only had 2 free months and $10.99 a month afterwards.
    edited January 2022 williamlondonbyronl
  • Reply 11 of 21
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,078member
    macxpress said:
    This report appears to be counting only premium subscribers Spotify.

31% of 524 million is 162 million. Spotify reported 165 million premium subscribers and 210 million ad-supported MAUs for Q2.
    grandact73lostkiwiwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 12 of 21
    JinTech said:
    macxpress said:
    Good point but someone can be a free spotify user forever, and one can use apple music free for a limited time, once.
    edited January 2022 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Beats said:
    This number is sad for Apple. They could have had the entire market. I’m still confused why Jimmy left. He was doing an amazing job. He has a relationship with the biggest artists and had the drive. I really thought Apple Records was coming with him on board and many people thought Apple Music would be the App Store for musicians.
    Its less sad when you realize apple always aims for 49% of any market and lets everyone else split the rest.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 21
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    JinTech said:
    macxpress said:

Not the same thing at all. There is no free tier of service. I'm sure there are some users that are within their free trial, but everyone else is paying.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 21
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    Beats said:
    Apple's share looks really good imo.

Theoretically, they could have designed Apple Music as a universal music service available on all platforms with a free tier and a web player, but that's not Apple. The Apple Music for Android gets very little advertising, and they have a big uphill slog to get customers on Android, where a free tier is really needed. Their customers are really their hardware customers enjoying their services. They only have 15% of the phone market and 8% of the PC market. 

Getting 15% is really good imo given their platform market shares.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 21
    macxpress said:
    Actually Spotify has 172 million paid subscribers. If this included "free tier" users then the obvious winner would be YouTube and its billions. But since it is only paid users, then YouTube Music only has 50 million subscribers, putting it behind Spotify, Apple Music, Tencent and Amazon (though it DID have 50% growth the last 12 months and is the fastest growing of the services: https://variety.com/2022/music/news/streaming-music-growth-worldwide-youtube-spotify-apple-1235156594/).
    grandact73watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 21
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    JinTech said:
    macxpress said:
    Exactly. 
    I stay pretty current on Apple devices and each one qualifies me for the service as does the Apple One service that I use primarily for the News app.
    JinTechwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 21
    There are a lot of ISPs that offer 'free Spotify' as an incentive to sign a mobile contract with them - a lot of people in my country get Spotify through that and that offer wasn't available they probably wouldn't be interested.  There is nothing for AppleMusic (at least in my country).
    I have heard of some ISPs in Australia that offer Apple Music as well but I don't know if they still do it.
    edited January 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 21
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    JinTech said:
    macxpress said:
    Good point but someone can be a free spotify user forever, and one can use apple music free for a limited time, once.
    Not once, you can get free trials multiple times.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    geekmee said:

“Really? Because I am constantly seeing ads for "free six months of Apple Music with said purchase!" I wonder how many of those users are in the mix here.”
    I think those ads are not from Apple… But 3rd party phone carriers looking to attract iPhone purchases.
    Yes from Apple. This ad was seen when looking at buying a new MacBook Air on Apple's very own online US store. The ad rotates. We live in a new era of Apple. 

edited January 2022