UK woman orders iPhone 13 Pro Max, gets a $1 bottle of hand soap instead

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 22

A London mom ordered a new iPhone 13 Pro Max from her carrier, but when she received her delivery, she found a $1 bottle of hand soap instead of a shiny new smartphone.

Credit: Wales Online
Credit: Wales Online

Khaoula Lafhaily, 32, purchased the iPhone from Sky Mobile on a 36-month contract for 1,500 pounds. When she received her package two day later, she was disappointed to find a refill bottle of blue soap instead, Wales Online reported.

"Can you imagine? I was in complete shock and really need the phone," Lafhaily said.

Lafhaily purchased the phone on Jan. 24 and paid for next-day delivery. She didn't even get that part of her order, since the driver failed to appear and sent her a message saying he was "stuck in traffic."

Two days after the woman ordered the phone, the driver returned but again failed to deliver the device. It was only three days after she placed the original order that the delivery person dropped off the package -- though, of course, it didn't have her iPhone.

The woman said she called Sky Mobile immediately after receiving the package. The carrier said it would launch an investigation immediately, but Lafhaily said it's been a week without any contact.

This is not the first time someone has ordered an iPhone only to receive a completely unrelated product. Back in February 2021, a woman ordered an iPhone 12 Pro Max but received an apple-flavored yogurt drink instead.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    omasouomasou Posts: 576member
    Yeah, that doesn't sound like a scam or social media fodder.
    llama
  • Reply 2 of 17
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Investigate the driver. 
    radarthekat
  • Reply 3 of 17
    omasou said:
    Yeah, that doesn't sound like a scam or social media fodder.
    Sounds like delivery scam. Steal the new iphone cause it is has not been locked probably…as in passcode then reselling it. Be aware 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 17
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    The provider has the device ID: brick it. 
    hammeroftruthradarthekatllamawilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 17
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 618member
    Nice clickbait making one think Apple had done this. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 17
    pslicepslice Posts: 151member
    I bought a pair of AirPods Pro along with an AppleCare policy. Received the box and and when I opened it, the box was there but no AirPods. The thief punched the bottom of the box and was able to open the cellophane took the contents and shoved the empty box back in. I received a replacement but I felt violated. I am sure the box was easily identified because it is required to have the lithium battery warning on it, I’m sure the UPS driver didn’t take it. He’s a friend. I thinking all forms of shipping, UPS, FEDEX, USPS have really deteriorated. Really sad. 
    llamaviclauyycronnCluntBaby92watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 17
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,339member
    jimh2 said:
    No educated person would interpret the article as such, and believe me, I know full well what click-bait is and hate it.  When I read the headline I immediately thought it was yet another case of theft by either the carrier or a thief who otherwise meddled with the goods during transport.  That seemed very clear to me from the get-go.
    ravnorodommwhitemuthuk_vanalingamradarthekatfred1viclauyycgrandact73williamlondonwilliamhCluntBaby92
  • Reply 8 of 17
    I don’t trust the delivery services when it comes to Apple stuffs. I always pick them up in person and then straight to my car. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 17
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    That is way more than a $1 bottle of soap.  Just saying.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 17
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    chadbag said:
    Investigate the driver. 
    Beat me to it.  
    Wgkruegerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 17
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    I’d rather have the yogurt drink than the soap. 
    tokyojimu
  • Reply 12 of 17
    jdw said:
    jimh2 said:
    No educated person would interpret the article as such, and believe me, I know full well what click-bait is and hate it.  When I read the headline I immediately thought it was yet another case of theft by either the carrier or a thief who otherwise meddled with the goods during transport.  That seemed very clear to me from the get-go.
    It's a clickbait because I clicked to see what soap is worth $1. Even Lidl doesn't have anything under $1.49.
    elijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 17
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    The thief really should come clean
    fred1watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 17
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    auxio said:
    The thief really should come clean
     :D  :D :D
    edited February 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Maybe contact the police. Fingerprints on the packing, etc. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 17
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    Wgkrueger said:
    Maybe contact the police. Fingerprints on the packing, etc. 

Yes the police will definitely be doing that, along with extensive DNA analysis and examining the box for other physical evidence like pubic hairs…

I don’t think you have ever called the police.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 17
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Why does it matter that she is a "mom", AI? That's the kind of thing low grade tabloids say. 

You can see that the packing is pressed into the shape of the original box.
    edited February 2022 watto_cobra