Amazon in talks to purchase fitness equipment producer Peloton

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,004member
    Why does all the equipment today require a membership?  I’ll admit to having so far done only superficial searching but I just want a high tech but no membership/forced connectivity rowing  machine.  One that will calculate everything and allow me to set up parameters to track internally etc.  

just want to wish Amazon good luck on this adventure.  
    byronl
  • Reply 22 of 42
    wood1208 said:
    What about Apple buying it ? Fits with Apple's health fitness agenda.

Apple already has Fitness+
    So why would they bother buying Peloton?   What do they get besides some over priced equipment?

But, home gyms are, I think, a likely growth industry -- but people need training and support.  So there's lot's of room to grow.

For myself, I switched from a high end sports performance center to a home gym supplemented by outdoor runs and cycling.   And, to be honest, it : the switch from sporadic, high intensity workouts to more frequent, full body moderate intensity intensity has worked out for the best.

It seems that with fitness training consistency is the key:  if nothing else, you don't see high end athletes doing "150 minutes a week" programs.  Nor do you see them working out 2-3 times a week.  They work typically 6 days a week. 

Consistency is the key -- and home gyms support that.  And Apple Fitness+ provides support and coaching where and when you need it.   I only see this growing.

Some rowing machine charges $400/yr for membership. So there is a lot of money to make. But if the instructions are delivered through internet, Apple could easily use the Health app. 

Apple already has rowing machine workouts on Fitness+.  And, all you need is a rowing machine which you could buy for less than $400
    This is exactly why Peloton stopped producing the ridiculously expensive equipment. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 42
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 42
    Aren’t pelotons just regular exercise machines with an integrated monitor?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 42
    This seems like an excellent way to kill a product just like Facebook burned Oculus. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 42
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Amazon is now just like the Buy N Large company from the movie Wall-E. The difference here is Elon Musk’s space ships will take us off the planet.
    I'm ok with this as long as Bezos, Musk, and No 45 are all on board for the first one-way journey to Mars.
    That way, they can escape paying any tax for good.
    I guess you missed the part where Musk is paying $11 billion in tax?
    edited February 2022 GeorgeBMacbyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 42
    chadbag said:
    Why does all the equipment today require a membership?  I’ll admit to having so far done only superficial searching but I just want a high tech but no membership/forced connectivity rowing  machine.  One that will calculate everything and allow me to set up parameters to track internally etc.  

just want to wish Amazon good luck on this adventure.  
    Buy a Concept 2. Well built and affordable row machine. I searched for the same as you stated. Love it. 
    byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 42
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    longfang said:
    Aren’t pelotons just regular exercise machines with an integrated monitor?

That's my question too.   They provide access to Peloton coaches, but how is that different from Apple's Fitness+ ?

I can use my iPhone or an iPad or TV monitor) in front of my treadmill (or whatever) and get great coaching form Apple's coaches -- essentially for free under AppleOne.  

So, what does Peloton offer that Apple's Fitness+ does not?
    byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 42
    Amazon has never been known to do something without a purpose and clear reasons why.

So, why would they want Peloton?   What is their goal?  What are they trying to gain or accomplish?

My bet is:  They gain marketing info on the growing population of fitness enthusiasts for targeted marketing so they can sell them fitness related stuff -- clothing, equipment, etc...    Yoga pants to yoga enthusiasts, running shoes to treadmill users, helmets to cyclists, etc...
    byronl
  • Reply 30 of 42
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    Amazon has never been known to do something without a purpose and clear reasons why.

So, why would they want Peloton?   What is their goal?  What are they trying to gain or accomplish?

My bet is:  They gain marketing info on the growing population of fitness enthusiasts for targeted marketing so they can sell them fitness related stuff -- clothing, equipment, etc...    Yoga pants to yoga enthusiasts, running shoes to treadmill users, helmets to cyclists, etc...
    Come on. Bezos does all kinds of things without a good reason why.

He bought Woot. When Woot's founder asked why, Bezos said it was the thing he didn't understand, so he had to have it. Woot was the breakfast octopus.
    byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 42
    Supposedly Nike as well.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 42
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,799member
    mr. h said:
    Amazon is now just like the Buy N Large company from the movie Wall-E. The difference here is Elon Musk’s space ships will take us off the planet.
    I'm ok with this as long as Bezos, Musk, and No 45 are all on board for the first one-way journey to Mars.
    That was a one time thing due to how his stocks and options matured. Normally he pays almost nothing.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 42
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    DAalseth said:
    mr. h said:
    That was a one time thing due to how his stocks and options matured. Normally he pays almost nothing.
    Do you actually have any concept of how much $11 billion is? It is absolutely ridiculous to write that off as "just a one time thing"; also he deliberately structured the option and stock-sale executions to maximise the tax due. Even if he never pays any tax ever again in his life, he'll probably have contributed more tax than anyone else ever, or at the very least be in the top ten list. It honestly boggles my mind how much flak he still gets about his tax affairs after this.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 42
    mr. h said:
    DAalseth said:
    mr. h said:
    Do you actually have any concept of how much $11 billion is? It is absolutely ridiculous to write that off as "just a one time thing"; also he deliberately structured the option and stock-sale executions to maximise the tax due. Even if he never pays any tax ever again in his life, he'll probably have contributed more tax than anyone else ever, or at the very least be in the top ten list. It honestly boggles my mind how much flak he still gets about his tax affairs after this.

It's called an income tax because its supposedly based on income.
    But Musk and other billionaires seldom have to pay any because they are able to hide their income in a multitude of different ways.

Meanwhile, the poor guy working at Walmart gets stuck paying the full amount of tax on his income.

What Musk and his fellow billionaires are doing is not wrong and not illegal -- because NOBODY pays more tax than they need to.  But the rules need to be fixed so they are applied equally.  Warren Buffet and other billionaires say the same:  He once complained that his secretary pays a higher tax rate than he does.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 42
    DAalseth said:
    mr. h said:

That's true!  But it's not Musk's fault that the rules are stacked in his favor.  It's our fault for electing the politicians who made that happen and continue to look the other way.  

I am so ashamed that Pat Toomey is my senator and I'll be very pleased when he retires next January.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Beats said:
    I’ve hoped Apple bought a gym equipment company like Nordic Trac for GymKit to innovate and take over gyms. Apple could run it even more distant than Beats.

Yeah, just buy an existing company with all of its cruft and existing products and just "innovate" to take over an industry. That's totally how things work.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 42
    seanj said:
    Amazon buying them for their customer data would be rank stupidity on their part. It’s a lazy strategy that never really pays off but keeps being repeated by CEOs over and over.

Now Apple or Withings buying it as a way to expand their wellness range makes a lot more sense.
    WiThings is an interesting company: they got bought by Nokia, it didn’t work out (fitness pun not intentional), so they broke out and are better off on their own.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 42
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,954member
    Beats said:
    I’ve hoped Apple bought a gym equipment company like Nordic Trac for GymKit to innovate and take over gyms. Apple could run it even more distant than Beats.

Yeah, just buy an existing company with all of its cruft and existing products and just "innovate" to take over an industry. That's totally how things work.
    Yup - looks like you've actually been paying attention!
  • Reply 39 of 42
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,954member
    Please, no! I love our peloton but Amazon is the devil and I refuse to do business with them. 

It actually would make sense for Apple to purchase or partner with peloton. Part of Apple's business model and strength is high end hardware with a seamless hardware and software integration. Peloton equipment could easily fit in with that model. Of course the peloton tablets all run Android so they'd have some fixing up to do...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 42
    MplsP said:
    Please, no! I love our peloton but Amazon is the devil and I refuse to do business with them. 

It actually would make sense for Apple to purchase or partner with peloton. Part of Apple's business model and strength is high end hardware with a seamless hardware and software integration. Peloton equipment could easily fit in with that model. Of course the peloton tablets all run Android so they'd have some fixing up to do...

But Amazon needs to know how much you sweat so they know what to sell you:  soap, deodorant, work out clothes, a yoga mat....
    watto_cobra