2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,360member
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    javair said:
    I know: Analysts are always wrong when it comes to Apple. ...And I have always thought so. BUT, it has been on my mind for the last two years (and I finally heard the same with Jason Snell and John Gruber on podcast) that production in China will someday be a huge problem for Apple. China continues to cause more regional and world problems and postures throughout the Pacific, and no doubt will indeed someday launch its military against Taiwan. No analyst nor Apple exec has even hinted that Apple has a plan for when the shooting starts or the trade penalties hit high gear for ALL of Chinese production. From MacBooks to iPhones and practically all Apple hardware, there is no other place to pick up ALL that production with even one year warning. So, producing NEW categories of Apple hardware in China too? Dang unnerving. Even if Foxconn were Taiwanese-owned, most Foxconn facilities are in an ever increasingly hostile China.
    Dang unnerving indeed. As things stand now, if China were to invade Taiwan, apple would go from a $3T company to maybe a $100B company overnight. Maybe worse than that. 

I wonder if the consequences are so horrifying to contemplate that TC and team simply don’t contemplate it. Maybe they figure that’s the day they retire.

If China is pushed to invade Taiwan, they won't bungle it like the U.S. does when it invades somebody.

It will be done swiftly and smoothly. And things will return to normal in short order.
    If China attempts to invade Taiwan it will likely be world war 3 and there will be nothing swift or smooth about it. 

But I wouldn't be surprised if your thinking is the same as CCP thinking, which means an invasion is all the more likely. 

LOL....
    No, like Ukraine, if it incites war, Taiwan will be on its own.   But we'll be glad to sell them expensive weapons.

Good for us.   Not so good for them.
    The US has never made any commitments to defend Ukraine. However, the US has made a commitment (albeit vague) to support Taiwan's defense (see the Taiwan Relations Act). 

Your framing, btw, is totally bizarre. Ukraine did not 'incite war.' Also, your earlier comment about China being "pushed" to invade Taiwan is absurd. How weak and pathetic you must imagine China to be if you think there is some force that could 'push' them to invade Taiwan? China is a big grown up country run by big grown up leaders. It will not be 'pushed' into starting a war. If China invades Taiwan, it will be China that is doing the 'pushing.' 

Ukraine and its allie have incited war by threatening Russia by saying they would allow NATO to move missiles, fighter planes, bombers and tanks (and probably other stuff) onto Russia's border.  There is no defense against that.  So, all Russia asked was that we and the Ukraine not threaten them that way.

When Russia did that same thing to us in 1960 we told them:  "Back down or we go to war".  They backed down and turned their ships around.

But, for some reason, when Russia said the same to us under the same circumstances, we ignored them.
    Stupid.  Very Stupid.  Especially for Biden who, like me, lived through that week of the Cuban Missile Crisis literally not knowing if we would live to see the end of the week.

When you put missiles on a country's border you threaten them -- so you should expect a response.  The precedent has been set.  It ain't rocket science.
    The Cuban missile crisis was about nuclear missiles in Cuba and Turkey. The soviets agreed to back down in Cuba and the US backed down in turkey.

What’s your source for anybody talking about putting nukes in Ukraine? 
  • Reply 22 of 38
    javair said:
    I know: Analysts are always wrong when it comes to Apple. ...And I have always thought so. BUT, it has been on my mind for the last two years (and I finally heard the same with Jason Snell and John Gruber on podcast) that production in China will someday be a huge problem for Apple. China continues to cause more regional and world problems and postures throughout the Pacific, and no doubt will indeed someday launch its military against Taiwan. No analyst nor Apple exec has even hinted that Apple has a plan for when the shooting starts or the trade penalties hit high gear for ALL of Chinese production. From MacBooks to iPhones and practically all Apple hardware, there is no other place to pick up ALL that production with even one year warning. So, producing NEW categories of Apple hardware in China too? Dang unnerving. Even if Foxconn were Taiwanese-owned, most Foxconn facilities are in an ever increasingly hostile China.

It's not China causing those problems.  The problems started with Trump and continue with Biden -- both are pushing for a second cold war.  Well, hopefully "cold".  We barely escaped mutual annihilation from the last one.
    Pompeo was invited by DPP leader Tsai Ing-Wen and will visit Taiwan next week. Just listen to him cursing China again. 
  • Reply 23 of 38
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    kenan said:

Taiwan does not belong to China, Taiwan is an independent democratic country!

That's what some secessionists / imperialists claim.  But its no more true than when Virginia claimed it was part of an independent nation from the U.S.
    Taiwan has never been governed by the PRC. Virginia absolutely was governed by the US.

a better analogy would be Puerto Rico. And if Puerto Rico wanted to be independent, they would be allowed independence.

but of course that’s not what PR wants, because the US isn’t a genocidal dictatorship .
    Neither was Virginia governed by Whigs or Democrats.   But, like Taiwan, it was always part of the nation.

BTW, while the U.S. has not been a dictatorship (although we've had one who tried), it has been genocidal.

I don't think you know what genocide means. 

It means murdering native populations and driving them from their lands in death marches.
    Nope, wrong. Genocide means the intentional eradication of all people with a shared (or perceived to be shared) genotype. 

It’s thankfully a rare thing. There are many bad things that are not genocide. You’re likely thinking of some examples of bad things that are not genocide. It’s good to call out bad things, not good to make false equivalences. 

LOL... So, if you leave a single Indian alive, it's not genocide!   Got it!    /s
  • Reply 24 of 38
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    kenan said:

That's what some secessionists / imperialists claim.  But its no more true than when Virginia claimed it was part of an independent nation from the U.S.
    Taiwan has never been governed by the PRC. Virginia absolutely was governed by the US.

a better analogy would be Puerto Rico. And if Puerto Rico wanted to be independent, they would be allowed independence.

but of course that’s not what PR wants, because the US isn’t a genocidal dictatorship .
    Neither was Virginia governed by Whigs or Democrats.   But, like Taiwan, it was always part of the nation.

BTW, while the U.S. has not been a dictatorship (although we've had one who tried), it has been genocidal.

It means murdering native populations and driving them from their lands in death marches.
    Nope, wrong. Genocide means the intentional eradication of all people with a shared (or perceived to be shared) genotype. 

It’s thankfully a rare thing. There are many bad things that are not genocide. You’re likely thinking of some examples of bad things that are not genocide. It’s good to call out bad things, not good to make false equivalences. 

LOL... So, if you leave a single Indian alive, it's not genocide!   Got it!    /s
    The main thing that killed native Americans was disease that Europeans brought with them. It was utterly devastating and tragic, but largely not intended (though there were some individual exceptions).

Given the weakened state of native civilization in North America resulting from those plagues, if the US government intended to commit genocide as the Nazis had, then all natives would be dead. There would be no treaties, no reservations.

The Chinese appear to be systematically and intentionally going after the Uyghurs. It’s not definitely genocide yet, but it sure seems to be heading in that direction. The only argument that people like you can scrape together to defend it is whataboutisms. Because several centuries ago, somebody else did something unjustifiably horrible, the CCP should get its turn. Absolutely sick logic.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 38
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    javair said:
    Dang unnerving indeed. As things stand now, if China were to invade Taiwan, apple would go from a $3T company to maybe a $100B company overnight. Maybe worse than that. 

I wonder if the consequences are so horrifying to contemplate that TC and team simply don’t contemplate it. Maybe they figure that’s the day they retire.

If China is pushed to invade Taiwan, they won't bungle it like the U.S. does when it invades somebody.

It will be done swiftly and smoothly. And things will return to normal in short order.
    If China attempts to invade Taiwan it will likely be world war 3 and there will be nothing swift or smooth about it. 

But I wouldn't be surprised if your thinking is the same as CCP thinking, which means an invasion is all the more likely. 

LOL....
    No, like Ukraine, if it incites war, Taiwan will be on its own.   But we'll be glad to sell them expensive weapons.

The US has never made any commitments to defend Ukraine. However, the US has made a commitment (albeit vague) to support Taiwan's defense (see the Taiwan Relations Act). 

Your framing, btw, is totally bizarre. Ukraine did not 'incite war.' Also, your earlier comment about China being "pushed" to invade Taiwan is absurd. How weak and pathetic you must imagine China to be if you think there is some force that could 'push' them to invade Taiwan? China is a big grown up country run by big grown up leaders. It will not be 'pushed' into starting a war. If China invades Taiwan, it will be China that is doing the 'pushing.' 
    China will be pushed if people like you keep pushing for Taiwan independence. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 26 of 38
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    kenan said:

The main thing that killed native Americans was disease that Europeans brought with them. It was utterly devastating and tragic, but largely not intended (though there were some individual exceptions).

Given the weakened state of native civilization in North America resulting from those plagues, if the US government intended to commit genocide as the Nazis had, then all natives would be dead. There would be no treaties, no reservations.

That was true in South America, not North America.
    edited February 2022
  • Reply 27 of 38
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    javair said:

LOL....

So people posting comments on discussion boards are the great force that can push China? 

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 28 of 38
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    javair said:

LOL....

So people posting comments on discussion boards are the great force that can push China? 

Depends on what you are pushing. Why companies advertise? 
    edited February 2022 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 29 of 38
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    javair said:

LOL....

Who's pushing? Taiwan is already independent.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    crowley said:
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    javair said:

LOL....

Dependent on US protection. That is why they keep pushing. 
    edited February 2022
  • Reply 31 of 38
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    javair said:

LOL....

Yes, it empowers the China Haters and demonstrates the level of brainwashing.
    We've saw the power of social media to influence opinion in 2016. 
    Never underestimate the power of undisputed propaganda.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    crowley said:
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    javair said:

LOL....

Bahahahaha
    We claimed the same for Ukraine.  How'd that work out for you?

When a serious power makes a demand -- especially when it's backed by fact and reason -- you need to get off your "good guy / bad guy" horse and take them seriously.  Otherwise, serious consequences happen.  But, when those consequences happen we know that you'll blame them -- because, under your belief system, we are the "good guys" and whatever we do is good.

Circular logic can never fail.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    crowley said:
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    javair said:

LOL....

Dependent on US protection. That is why they keep pushing. 
    So your argument is that people are pushing for Taiwan to be independent of US protection, and that is pushing China?

:smiley:  :smiley:  :smiley: 

Keep trying my red friend.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    crowley said:
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    javair said:

LOL....

Bahahahaha

When a serious power makes a demand -- especially when it's backed by fact and reason -- you need to get off your "good guy / bad guy" horse and take them seriously.  Otherwise, serious consequences happen.  But, when those consequences happen we know that you'll blame them -- because, under your belief system, we are the "good guys" and whatever we do is good.

Only one side has invaded another here.  This attempt to "both sides" Russia is transparent tankie bullshit.

Ukraine was independent and independence doesn't mean you can't be invaded; a bizarre assertion even from you.  How did that work out for me?  I hardly think I'm a person to worry about, maybe trying having a bit of sympathy for the civilians in Ukraine who are inevitably going to suffer.  This self satisfied dancing around that you're doing is most unbecoming.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    javair said:

LOL....

Bahahahaha

Only one side has invaded another here.  This attempt to "both sides" Russia is transparent tankie bullshit.

Ukraine was independent and independence doesn't mean you can't be invaded; a bizarre assertion even from you.  How did that work out for me?  I hardly think I'm a person to worry about, maybe trying having a bit of sympathy for the civilians in Ukraine who are inevitably going to suffer.  This self satisfied dancing around that you're doing is most unbecoming.
    Ukraine was part of USSR before it disbanded. That is not too long ago. Regarding independence and dependence, the US southern states is an excellent example. Why the northern states have the right to launch war? On what ground? 
  • Reply 36 of 38
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    javair said:

LOL....

Bahahahaha

Ukraine was part of USSR before it disbanded. That is not too long ago. Regarding independence and dependence, the US southern states is an excellent example. Why the northern states have the right to launch war? On what ground? 
    Spare me your irredentist idiocy.  The USSR doesn't exist any more.  And lots of places were part of the USSR, it was a union of many states.   Russia was one of those constituent states alongside Ukraine, and it wasn't even the last to leave the USSR when it disbanded over 30 years ago.  This is settled, and modern Russia had committed to Ukraine's independence and borders.

The southern states attacked the north first, during an intra-country crisis so your attempt to stir division with a bullshit comparison is a completely moot point, even before we hit the bullshit.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    javair said:

LOL....

Bahahahaha

Spare me your irredentist idiocy.  The USSR doesn't exist any more.  And lots of places were part of the USSR, it was a union of many states.   Russia was one of those constituent states alongside Ukraine, and it wasn't even the last to leave the USSR when it disbanded over 30 years ago.  This is settled, and modern Russia had committed to Ukraine's independence and borders.

The southern states attacked the north first, during an intra-country crisis so your attempt to stir division with a bullshit comparison is a completely moot point, even before we hit the bullshit.
    The Civil war started because Lincoln ordered to hold all remaining Union-occupied forts in the Confederacy. 
  • Reply 38 of 38
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    javair said:

LOL....

Bahahahaha

The Civil war started because Lincoln ordered to hold all remaining Union-occupied forts in the Confederacy. 
    Don't be a moron.  The Civil War started because the southern states seceded because they wanted to own black people, then attacked union forces.