Interesting Macbidouille interview with FWB on RealPC 1.1

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Sounds interesting. I still say that best method is to buy a really cheap PC and you do not have to worry about the speed of emulation.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    if all you want is to test web pages and realpc does show a big jump in speed then this is all many people need. (leaving the 970 out of the picture for now.)

it depends on what you want to do with that pc.

if you want to play games then of course you should buy a playstation..errr. pc...

• Reply 3 of 5
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    But then you have to worry about the cheap PC.

If they can get games to run even passably (the guy sounds kind of flip about the sort of issues that they'll have making a Mac RADEON act like a Windows RADEON) it'll be a great solution for students and other people who for space reasons would much rather have one machine than two, and for people who would much rather only have a nicely-designed and -built Mac than the additional trouble of a sketchy PC.

Finally, it's a pure win for laptop users. Again, if they can pull it off. Part of me is wondering if this guy isn't one of those evil marketing types who writes checks that his engineers can't (possibly) cash.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Part of me is wondering if this guy isn't one of those evil marketing types who writes checks that his engineers can't (possibly) cash.

This is probably what's happening. I won't believe it until I'm playing PC UT2k3 on my Mac at a half-decent framerate.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    They're gonna vaporware themselves to death if they keep it up.

Right now I'm happy with VPC 5.0 - I run Crux Linux under it and using Virtual Switch give it a different IP. My G4/667 (PowerBook G4 DVI) emulates the equivalent of a PII 333. About the only difference is that the graphics are slow (but I use it under ssh so it doesn't matter).

In fact I've even played 3D Linux games under Virtual PC, thanks to Apple X11's support for GLX. This works by running the game under Virtual PC with a remote display to the X server running under OS X. Descent 3 for Linux rendered quite fast (60fps) but input was schizophrenic, rendering it unplayable.