ATI 9700pro Mac, available ?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
About the ATI 9700pro video card :

1-So, is this card available right now, for the Mac ?

2-Does it include a TV tuner, operationnal in OS X ?

3-Is there a fan attached to it, that will add to all those fans in the DDR machines ?

4-Is it able to use the Apple ADC connector ? Will I need some special connector with this card, if I want to use the Apple 17" LCD ?

5-What speed differences may I expect compared to my NVidia GForce 4MX ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    1. Yes, both as an OEM BTO option and as a full-fledged retail card.

2. I do not believe the Radeon 9700 Pro Mac Edition has a TV tuner.

3. Yes, there is a fan. However it is not as loud or as big as the one attached to certain nVidia cards (i.e. the GeForce FX.)

4. I do not believe that you will have to purchase any special connecter if you want to connect an Apple 17" LCD to the Radeon.

a)Huge, massive, enormous....errr...and any other word you can think of that means 'large.'

b)Seriously though, the Radeon is a vastly superior card in all aspects with double the video RAM. The Radeon is brand new technology while the GeForce 4MX is based on the older, slower GeForce 2MX technology. Even a Geforce 3 (albiet Ti) is faster than a GF4MX.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    coolmaccoolmac Posts: 259member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by job

[B]1. Yes, both as an OEM BTO option and as a full-fledged retail card.

Where is it available as a retail card?

I don't see it on Apples web site.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Hmmm...

I seem to be mistaken. I do remember reading that the 9700 would be available soon in retail outlets.

I stand corrected. At this time, the 9700 Mac Edition seems to be only available through the Apple store as a BTO option.