It's time for Apple to retire the Apple Watch Series 3

Posted:
in Apple Watch
The Apple Watch Series 3 was first unveiled in 2017 and has been kept around as a low-cost wearable. After a five-year run, it's finally time for Apple to kill it off.

Apple Watch Series 3
Apple Watch Series 3

When Apple first kept its Apple Watch Series 3 around as an entry-level wearable, it made sense. But as the years have progressed, the device has become much less competitive -- particularly when its pricing advantage waned in the face of the Apple Watch SE.

At this point, there's little reason for new Apple Watch buyers to opt for a Series 3 instead of a newer model. And there are even fewer reasons for Apple to keep it around.

Signs of (End of) Life

There have been a number of recent rumors suggesting that Apple may finally discontinue the Apple Watch Series 3 in 2022.

Back in February, there were indications that Apple would release three new Apple Watch models in 2022. The updated lineup would also include the retirement of the Apple Watch Series 3.

At the time, the report didn't give any indication of why Apple would retire the model, but anybody who's followed Apple for more than about five minutes could make the clear connection between age and retirement. On March 21, another report spelled it out.

Additionally, on Monday, well-respected TF Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicted that the Apple Watch Series 3 would be discontinued in the third quarter of 2022 because the "computing power can't meet the requirements of the new watchOS."

Apple Watch Series 3 may go to end-of-life (EOL) in 3Q22 because the computing power can't meet the requirements of the new watchOS.

-- (Ming-Chi Kuo) (@mingchikuo)

Kuo doesn't really have any hard data behind what he's saying, and is making an educated guess. Presumably, Kuo means watchOS 9, which is expected at WWDC 2022 in June.

Since Apple still sells the Apple Watch Series 3, Kuo's prediction essentially means that Apple would continue selling the model until its retirement. That's uncommon for the company, but it isn't unheard of.

There are also, of course, all of the missing features on the Apple Watch Series 3 compared to newer models. The gap between the lowest-cost Apple Watch and Apple's current generations has only grown larger over the years.

Missing Features

At this point, it's hard to recommend that any users purchase an Apple Watch Series 3 instead of a new model unless price is the deciding factor.

The Apple Watch Series 3 features an aging design that's nearly the five-year mark. It features a thicker bezel than newer models, a smaller display and casing, and a slightly more rectangular and boxy shape than any of Apple's current wearable devices.

And while the Apple Watch Series 3 is still supported by Apple's software updates and suite of integrations, its processor is also starting to show its age.

The Apple Watch Series 3 doesn't support the same breadth of watch faces as its successors. Additionally, its processor limitations mean that it can only support a single complication -- one of the most handy and useful features on Apple's watchOS software.

Apple's 2017 Apple Watch is also missing many of the health and safety tools of newer devices, like the life-saving fall detection and electrocardiogram (ECG) features.

There's also the issue of updates. Because of the smaller internal storage size of the Apple Watch Series 3, the device now needs to be unpaired and reset for software updates to install. That turns a minor inconvenience into more of a headache for users.

All of this results in a worse user experience for customers. And, again, this is a model that only costs about $80 less than an Apple Watch SE, which features a better display, more storage, and a bigger processor.

It's time

Apple's Series 3 has outlasted any previous model in its five-year lifespan. The Apple Watch Series 0, for example, was discontinued when Apple released the Apple Watch Series 1 and Apple Watch Series 2. The original Apple Watch stopped being supported by watchOS 5 three years after its release. Software support for the Series 1 and Series 2 ended four years after launch with watchOS 7 in 2020.

The Apple Watch Series 3 has served users well for five years, giving users a solid wearable at a good price and expanding the Apple Watch user base. But now, five years after the device's release, it's definitely time for the iPhone maker to discontinue the low-cost wearable.

That, of course, would leave a void in Apple's current lineup. However, that could easily be filled by a new model made to a lower-cost specification, or an older model sold at a reduced price point. Given that the Apple Watch SE only costs about $80 more currently, Apple could easily replace the Apple Watch Series 3 with the SE.

Whether Apple replaces the Series 3 in its lineup or simply bumps up the price of the lowest-cost device, the Apple Watch Series 3 is undoubtedly nearing the end of its useful lifespan.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 389member
    Who buys this watch? Did you ever consider that it’s mostly parents for their kids, and that the features and the size are well suited for them?
    edited March 2022 byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 23
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    jwdawso said:
    Who buys this watch? Did you ever consider that it’s mostly parents for their kids, and that the features and the size are well suited for them?

There will likely be something at the same price point. As the article stated, maybe the current SE will come down to this price point when the new models are introduced this year.
    byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 23
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    jwdawso said:
    In addition to the many reasons provided for its retirement, I’d wager that Apple simply doesn’t sell that many of them anymore. But, if you truly believe what you’re saying, then go buy a cart full of them before it happens and see how long it takes you to unload them on eBay. 
    twokatmewbyronluraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 23
    So totally agree. I’ve got a hand-me-down Series 3 that I’ve been using mostly just for ApplePay convenience in the age of face masks messing up Face ID (which is now less of a problem thanks for the latest iOS update…). It’s very difficult to use for pretty much anything due to the storage limitations and processor speed - especially with having to un-pair it every time a WatchOS update comes out to do the update, which is a several hour process (I thought we had finally corrected that with WatchOS 8, but it seems that we’re back to it again with 8.5…). If this was my first experience with an AppleWatch I’d be very disappointed. Thankfully in my case I’m mostly using it for just one very limited thing, but if I was trying to use it for more, I’d be pretty discouraged. 
    muthuk_vanalingamtwokatmewbyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 23
    zideanzidean Posts: 1member
    Believe it or not, it's just there to make the SE look good. That's a proven marketing tactic.
    byronlapplguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 23
    sevenfeetsevenfeet Posts: 466member
    jwdawso said:
    We bought a Series 3 for our teenage daughter a couple of years ago when her Series 1 failed. And it is very slow. It's easily the hardest Apple device to upgrade when Apple drops a software update. And it used to be worse....often because of the limited memory and storage, I would often have to install the watch as a clean install, update the OS and then restore settings from iCloud. This took forever....at least the latest revisions allow updates without the long extra steps that frankly most users wouldn't know how to do.

Fun fact: The Apple Watch Series 3 is the LAST 32-bit device Apple sells. iOS, iPadOS, MacOS, and tvOS have all been 64 bit only for many years. Only WatchOS has had to deal with this one build for 32 bit compatibility.
    JapheystompytwokatmewAlex_Vbyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 23
    mike1 said:
    jwdawso said:

There will likely be something at the same price point. As the article stated, maybe the current SE will come down to this price point when the new models are introduced this year.
    I’m trying to remember the last time Apple reduced the price of anything. If anything, the SE will become the new entry-level model at the same price it is now. 
    edited March 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 23
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    jwdawso said:
    Is the current, painful update process well-suited for them also? The series 3 must die.
    edited March 2022 twokatmewbyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 23
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 814member
    I still use the series 0 when I am outside working in the yard just to track my ring activity, otherwise I use the series 7. The watch app syncs to whatever watch I have on my wrist.
    byronl
  • Reply 10 of 23
    petripetri Posts: 118member
    This article is really far too kind, it was high time for the Series 3 to be retired at least a couple of years ago.  Certainly when it became impossible to perform a software update without going through all the pain of unpairing etc, the user experience fell off a cliff - it should have been taken off the shelf well before that.

I get the theory that it exists to make the SE look good, but the thing is the SE *is* good and excellent value, I have the near identical series 4 and can’t really see the need for anything more.  Keeping the S3 around just clutters the lineup and will be misleading a few into making a small “saving” in return for a much poorer experience that will probably put them off the Apple Watch altogether.

I’ve no doubt the iPhone SE and other models sell well even without Apple still offering the iPhone 6, so not sure why the strategy is so different here.
    muthuk_vanalingamstompytwokatmewbyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 23
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Japhey said:
    mike1 said:
    jwdawso said:

I’m trying to remember the last time Apple reduced the price of anything. If anything, the SE will become the new entry-level model at the same price it is now. 
    September?
    muthuk_vanalingamStrangeDaysbyronl
  • Reply 12 of 23
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    jwdawso said:
    Citation needed
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 23
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    Japhey said:
    mike1 said:
    jwdawso said:

iPhones, iPads, Macs have all received price reductions. iPad is famously only $329 now. Entry-level iPhone went down 100 bucks in the last few years.
    twokatmewbyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 23
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 841member
    An entry priced product should provide a good "tease" of what the more expensive experience is like, and the Series 3, now long-in-the-tooth, does the opposite. Its small screen, slow processor and more limited functionality could easily leave someone wondering why all the fuss about Apple Watch. Even as someone who's committed to Apple Watch, I'd probably abandon it if I had to go back to a Series 3 experience. 
    diz_geekelijahgtwokatmewstompybyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Japhey said:
    mike1 said:
    jwdawso said:

iPhones, iPads, Macs have all received price reductions. iPad is famously only $329 now. Entry-level iPhone went down 100 bucks in the last few years.
    I stand corrected, but that’s what I get for half-assing my comment. Still, I don’t see it happening with a new version of the Watch SE this fall. 
    edited March 2022 muthuk_vanalingamtwokatmewbyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 23
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Japhey said:
    mike1 said:
    jwdawso said:

Almost every time the new model comes out, but the old one sticks around at a "new reduced price".
    byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 23
    mike1 said:
    Japhey said:
    mike1 said:
    jwdawso said:

Almost every time the new model comes out, but the old one sticks around at a "new reduced price".
    Ok. I addressed this. I fucked up. I should have said “new models”, but I didn’t. It wouldn’t matter anyway, because that would have been wrong also, as StrangeDays noted above. 
    edited March 2022 muthuk_vanalingambyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 23
    About time if true. Don't like things to fall off so so for os releases, however the 3 was a pain to update.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 23
    DogpersonDogperson Posts: 145member
    If u dont want one, DONT BUY ONE.
    I like the size and it works perfectly.
    It also FITS SOME BUDGETS.

davenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 23
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Got my Series 3 in January 2018 and it is still going strong.
    watto_cobra