Death knell sounds for iPhone 6 as Twitter app drops support

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2022
Twitter has ended support for the iPhone 6. Owners of this eight-year-old smartphone have taken to social media to lament this nail in the coffin.

The iPhone 6 was released in 2014
The iPhone 6 was released in 2014

The iPhone 6 was released in 2014 as the first iPhone with a "phablet" display size and an all-new candy bar design. The device was so popular that it broke sales records and created the now infamous "supercycle." Apple provided new operating system updates for this device until iOS 12.5.5 was released in September 2021.

Developers can target older operating systems when building apps, and often do since many users are slow to upgrade to the next operating system. Twitter supported the iPhone 6 until just recently, and owners have taken notice.

The iPhone 6 is notable because it is the last iPhone to be cut off from operating system updates. The iPhone 6s and newer can update all the way to iOS 15 if the owner chooses to. Beyond technical considerations, developers can see the mix of users hanging on to older operating systems, and once it goes under a desired threshold, they stop support to remove some cruft from the app.

me thinking it's just me having bad internet issues then seeing iphone 6 trending pic.twitter.com/vxoQvPZJxm

-- cyn (@cinscrown)

For tech aficionados, even two years sounds like a long time to go without an upgrade. Those still hanging onto the iPhone 6, however, likely just want a device that turns on and is able to make calls. As long as the battery is serviced regularly, the iPhone 6 can be used with some level of efficiency.

Apple prides itself as a device manufacturer that builds quality products that can last through years of use, and the remaining iPhone 6 owners are a testament to that. However, with each new operating system, a device will lose its luster and begin to show the signs of aging.

At least those complaining about losing the Twitter app seem to have discovered Twitter still works within Safari. Apple has tried tempting anyone still holding onto the iPhone 8 and earlier with the affordable iPhone SE, but for some that is still not worth the money or effort of upgrading when their aging iPhone "still works fine."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,250member
    Could care less about Twitter. One app doesn’t end an iPhone. 
    lkruppmarklarkdarkvadermacguiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member
    If not for third party apps (Tweetbot for me), I wouldn't use Twitter at all. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    rob53 said:
    Yeah, I thought Twitter was over and Instagram was the king now.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    ronmacronmac Posts: 2member
    I have an old iPhone 6 as a back up & it won’t go past iOS 12.5.5. How’d it get up to 13.6? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    ronmac said:
    I have an old iPhone 6 as a back up & it won’t go past iOS 12.5.5. How’d it get up to 13.6? 
    It can’t. This news is about Twitter changing something server-side, making tweets not load for the old iOS 12-compatible app version of Twitter. Twitter warned about the obsoletion a long time ago. This is just them implementing what they alerted users of a long time in advance.
    scstrrfwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    lkrupp said:
    rob53 said:
    Yeah, I thought Twitter was over and Instagram was the king now.

1.  Twitter is about words, Instagram is about pictures.
    2.  Instagram is F*c*book, and I don't use anything that has anything to do with F*c*book.
    3.  Twitter will still work fine on the iPhone 6.  You don't need an app, just use a browser.  Bonus:  Your adblocker will work if you use it in a browser.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    It makes sense that apps can support all OSs and that sooner or later support will be dropped.

iPhone 6 has been around a long time an 8yrs is a good life. But not having twitter support is far from a death knell for the phone.

Though I don't have an account or use it directly, it still gets a lot of use, especially from people who'll never use IG. The kids for the most part have moved on to TikTok long ago.

There've been enough features rolled into iOS that I finally upgraded my 5yo phone. I can't imagine keeping one for 8yrs. But if it gets the job done...
    watto_cobra