Apple updates Pages, Keynote, and Numbers for the first time in six months

Posted:
in iOS edited April 2022
Apple released a relatively small update to its iWork suite of apps that includes Pages, Keynote, and Numbers.

Apple updates iWork apps to version 12.0
Apple updates iWork apps to version 12.0

The word processing application Pages now has the ability to publish directly to Apple Books with file sizes up to 2GB. Users also get more options for placing page numbers and setting font size.

The Pages app on iOS also gains new quick launch actions from the app icon. Long press on the icon to create a new document right from the home screen.

The spreadsheet application Numbers has been updated with the ability to capture snapshots of table cells without formulas, categories, or hidden values. The ability to adjust font size up to two decimal places has also been added.

Both Numbers and Pages gained more VoiceOver controls. Pages can read comments and track changes while Numbers can create formulas and fill cells using the accessibility feature.

Keynote has gained the ability to enlarge slides to a maximum zoom level of 400%. The ability to change font sizes more precisely has also been added.

All three apps gain Shortcut support on macOS. The new Shortcut actions let users create new Numbers, Pages, or Keynote documents, add rows to a Numbers spreadsheet, or start a Keynote presentation.

Apple's iWork apps will update automatically to version 12.0, or users can visit the App Store and force the update to occur right away. Apple includes Pages, Keynote, and Numbers with any iPhone, iPad, or Mac as a free pre-installed application.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I use Pages and Keynote frequently. Always happy to see updates/new features. 
    jas99lolliverMisterKitAlex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    jas99jas99 Posts: 148member
    I’m a frequent - as in daily - user of Numbers. 

Also always glad to see an update. 
    lolliverAlex_VjdonAIwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    I love Pages. Their templates are well designed and elegant, unlike the tacky templates by MS Word. It's perfect for occasional letters.

StrangeDayslolliverAlex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    Somewhat disappointing for a full digit revision, seems to be merely small tweaks. I still miss searching and replacing special characters to cleanup files with extraneous tabs, paragraphs, etc, like the Pages of old. I have to resort to Word for that, recordable macros too would be nice for the whole suite. I mostly use and really like Numbers and Pages but finally gave in and picked up the 50 $ Lifetime Microsoft Office for those occasional specialty features, after years of getting by with LibreOffice. For my usage MS Office isn't worth their original sticker price but that special scratched an itch.
    edited April 2022 lolliverAlex_V
  • Reply 5 of 11
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    jony0 said:
    recordable macros too would be nice for the whole suite. 
    I agree, but I manage to do that using the third party app Keyboard Maestro.
    Alex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Glad they added Shortcut actions for numbers. 
    Alex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    jony0 said:
    Somewhat disappointing for a full digit revision, seems to be merely small tweaks. I still miss searching and replacing special characters to cleanup files with extraneous tabs, paragraphs, etc, like the Pages of old. I have to resort to Word for that, recordable macros too would be nice for the whole suite. I mostly use and really like Numbers and Pages but finally gave in and picked up the 50 $ Lifetime Microsoft Office for those occasional specialty features, after years of getting by with LibreOffice. For my usage MS Office isn't worth their original sticker price but that special scratched an itch.
    Get BBEdit. There’s a free version (formerly TextWrangler) that does all that cleanup stuff. I don’t know how I’d live without it. Paid user for many, many years. 
    Alex_Vwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 8 of 11
    jony0 said:
    But the replace function of the iWork apps does support those special characters (and more). You can for ex search for \t or \n or \p. You can also use them in the replace field.

Actually, you can search and replace most special characters (or invisible) by just copy-and-pasting them into the search- or replace field.

Sure, it doesn’t implement a full regexp support but it covers most usecases of the kind you listed.
    edited April 2022 fastasleepwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 9 of 11
    jdonAIjdonAI Posts: 12member
    I need for Apple to get back on track with an iMac 27".  Can't move from Catalina until they do.  Sure as I buy into the "workaround Mac Studio" alternative Apple will announce the 27".
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    jdonAI said:
    I need for Apple to get back on track with an iMac 27".  Can't move from Catalina until they do.  Sure as I buy into the "workaround Mac Studio" alternative Apple will announce the 27".
    Sources have said Apple has no current plans for a larger iMac, so you're going to be waiting for quite some time. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 11 of 11
    it’s about time Pages will support mail merge.