MagSafe Battery Pack now provides 7.5W charging after firmware update

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple has enabled charging speeds of up to 7.5W on its MagSafe Battery Pack in the latest firmware update for the iPhone accessory, which was released on Tuesday.

MagSafe Battery Pack
MagSafe Battery Pack

The firmware update was released on April 19 as an over-the-air update. While patch notes weren't provided at the time, Apple has since updated a support document to clarify that the update brings an improved charging rate.

"In order to get 7.5W charging on the go, update your MagSafe Battery Pack to the latest firmware," Apple writes. "The firmware update begins automatically after you attach your battery pack to your iPhone. The firmware update can take about one week."

Previously, the MagSafe Battery Pack topped out at 5W of charging -- about the same as Apple's ubiquitous power brick that's no longer included with devices.

Users can check which firmware version they have on a connected iPhone by heading to Settings > General > About > MagSafe Battery Back. The firmware update that enables 7.5W charging is version 2.7.b.0.

Apple first launched the MagSafe Battery Pack in July 2021 for the iPhone 12, but it is also compatible with iPhone 13 devices. At the time, some users were disappointed by the charging speeds since other MagSafe accessories can provide up to 15W of charging output.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    NYC362NYC362 Posts: 80member
    If you plug the battery into a MacBook, iMac, or iPad (Air or Pro), the update can take just a few minutes.  
    urashidright_said_freddoozydozennickyfreshdj2k3000marc gJaphey
  • Reply 2 of 11
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    Mine updated in minutes yesterday once I disconnect and then reconnected it to my iPhone 13P and then checked the battery status in Settings.   I think the "up to one week" note refers to simply automatically updating without doing any checking as then the servers will have to locate the device for the update.
    doozydozendj2k3000marc g
  • Reply 3 of 11
    NYC362 said:
    If you plug the battery into a MacBook, iMac, or iPad (Air or Pro), the update can take just a few minutes.  
    Confirmed. Thank you for this tip! I just connected the battery to my 2018 iPad Pro, and it updated within 15 minutes or so.
    NYC362doozydozentwokatmewmarc g
  • Reply 4 of 11
    NYC362NYC362 Posts: 80member
    dj2k3000 said:
    NYC362 said:
    Confirmed. Thank you for this tip! I just connected the battery to my 2018 iPad Pro, and it updated within 15 minutes or so.
    I really should've mentioned that I read about doing that on another site, so the thanks is appreciated, but I won't take all the credit. :smirk: 
    twokatmewdj2k3000marc g
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Here is how you manually update the firmware:

All you need to do is to connect the MagSafe Battery Pack to your Mac via USB-C to Lightning cable and leave it connected for a few minutes. Make sure you are on the latest macOS, it will automatically update the firmware. (Also works with iPhone and iPad, but you won't be able to easily check for progress as on Mac.)

If you are interested, you can open the console and filter "updater", you will see a few processes in the background checking and updating the firmware for your MagSafe Battery Pack.

You can also check look for the firmware update file located at "/System/Library/AssetsV2/com_apple_MobileAsset_UARP_A2384/"
    edited April 2022 dewmetwokatmewchr15hdj2k3000marc g
  • Reply 6 of 11
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    NYC362 said:
    Yep, this worked for me. I plugged both of mine into my MacBook Pro and left them there for a couple minutes. Popped them on my phone and checked the firmware version in the About section of the Settings app. 
    marc g
  • Reply 7 of 11
    NYC362 said:
    Yes I confirm this worked, I had two to do. I noticed that if the battery was at 100% and I plugged it into my laptop which is a MacBook Pro with a USB within five or 10 minutes it was updated when I put my phone on to verify. When my battery was completely dead it would not upgrade manually for a while. So I plugged it in to the wall got to 100% then quickly plugged it into my laptop this morning had a cup of coffee and then it was done. Last night girlfriends phone was at 59% and we put the new updated battery on and it charged it faster than normal and didn’t get too hot.
    marc g
  • Reply 8 of 11
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    So why Apple does not print or announced this easy update? 
    marc g
  • Reply 9 of 11
    RleyRley Posts: 3member
    Where can I find the most recent firmware versions for all MagSafe chargers, including the original double one(iPhone & Watch)
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Rbg136Rbg136 Posts: 3member
    I do understand the update for people wanting a faster change and it may meet their needs, but as for an auxiliary pack 5w is adequate for battery life on both ends. 

• Reply 11 of 11
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    My battery connected to a Mac updated in under two minutes. That was pretty impressive.