A Moscow court has dismissed Apple's antitrust investigation appeal

Posted:
in General Discussion
The Russian Federal Antimonopoly Service has been given the go-ahead to begin antitrust investigations into the App Store after an appeal from Apple was dismissed.

The Russian antitrust case against Apple will go forward, pending a new appeal
The Russian antitrust case against Apple will go forward, pending a new appeal

Since Apple's appeal to reexamine the Russian agency's grounds for investigation was dismissed, the antitrust case will move forward. If found guilty of monopoly practices, Apple could face a fine based on its revenue in Russia.

The threat of an antitrust suit had begun under the premise that Apple was preventing developers from linking users to outside payment options, or "steering." Apple was given until September 2021 to comply with the request, and opened a lawsuit in October.

However, the lawsuit was launched only days after Apple removed its anti-steering provisions from the App Store rules. Apple then appealed the courts for a judicial review of the antitrust regulator's warning.

According to a report from Reuters, the court has dismissed Apple's case, and that gives the Russian Federal Antimonopoly Service grounds to continue the investigation into Apple's App Store practices. Though, the decision to dismiss Apple's case can be appealed.

Apple is embroiled in several legal battles with Russian entities at the moment. One case seeks to file a class action lawsuit for Apple removing Apple Pay support in the country as a response to the Ukrainian invasion.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Really? Is this some kind of joke? Apple, pull out of Russia completely, let that thug Putin and his henchmen confiscate what little assets you have invested in that totalitarian dystopia. Just saying.
    tjwolfiOS_Guy80ITGUYINSDmacxpressdewmeuraharaHank2.0StrangeDaysbadmonkInspiredCode
  • Reply 2 of 12
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 773member
    lkrupp said:
    Really? Is this some kind of joke? Apple, pull out of Russia completely, let that thug Putin and his henchmen confiscate what little assets you have invested in that totalitarian dystopia. Just saying.
    Seems like a no-brainer decision.

Also, "Moscow court"...that's a funny.  It's not even a mildly legit legal institution.
    edited April 2022 iOS_Guy80StrangeDayskillroyravnorodomqwerty52MacProjony0
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Interesting that comments are allowed here, but not on the article about Russian banks suing for Apple Pay being disabled.  For that article I wanted to comment, "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes." But it is accurate here as well.  If Russia be petty and go after companies that pulled out because of the Ukrainian invasion they are just going to make it less likely that the companies will return if relations with the country normalize in the future.  I'm sure they are just laying the groundwork for a classic, "We can make all of this go away if you resume operating in the country immediately." Time will tell if companies fall for it.
    rob53StrangeDayskillroyjony0
  • Reply 4 of 12
    lkrupp said:
    Yeah, in a few months, only a few oligarchs will be able to afford Apple products in Russia anyway. There was a picture a few weeks ago of anti-theft tags attached to pull tabs on canned meat.
    dewmekillroyqwerty52jony0
  • Reply 5 of 12
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 535member
    Of course Russia wants to portray they are the victim here.  It plays in with their misinformation campaign that they're liberating Mariupol (instead they destroyed it and killed everyone who couldn't escape), and that the West is the bad guy.  I agree -- Apple, unplug from Russia.  Any income from that country is blood money.  
    uraharaInspiredCodekillroyravnorodomqwerty52jony0
  • Reply 6 of 12
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,914member
    lkrupp said:
    Yeah just flat out pull of our Russia. Apple has no business there anyways. I do feel bad for the people of Russia as this isn't their fault but I don't see why Apple should do business in Russia right now. 
    uraharaInspiredCoderavnorodomqwerty52jony0
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Hank2.0Hank2.0 Posts: 151member
    lkrupp said:
    I will never understand how Tim Cook and the bulk of corporate Apple be so sensitive to the needs of minorities, gender issues, etc. and yet is more concerned about doing business with a country that invades its neighbor and seeks victory by genocide.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,046member
    Too funny. Russia has no moral authority and no means for payments under the sanctions, so the appropriate Apple response to this kangaroo court is to send Russia their favorite Putin meme and call it a day. Case closed!
    killroyqwerty52jony0
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Simple solution. Just pull the App Store out of Russia. They can roll back to web apps.
    edited April 2022
  • Reply 10 of 12
    qwerty52qwerty52 Posts: 367member
    macxpress said:
    lkrupp said:
    Yeah just flat out pull of our Russia. Apple has no business there anyways. I do feel bad for the people of Russia as this isn't their fault but I don't see why Apple should do business in Russia right now. 

I feel also bad for the Russia’s people, but in fact, exactly those people have been voting 20 years long, election after election in favor of Putin..........
  • Reply 11 of 12

A Moscow courtVladimir Putin has dismissed Apple's antitrust investigation appeal

Fixed that for ya.
    jony0qwerty52
  • Reply 12 of 12
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member

Since Apple's appeal to reexamine the Russian agency's grounds for investigation was dismissed, the antitrust case will move forward. If found guilty of monopoly practices, Apple could face a fine based on its revenue in Russia.
    I see. This war is very costly, they need all the money they can grab.

... Moscow court ... Russian Federal Antimonopoly Service ...
    Nice one!