Microsoft Teams version with Apple Silicon optimization quietly released

Posted:
in macOS
Microsoft has quietly released a version of its Microsoft Teams platform that has been optimized for Apple Silicon -- more than a year after Apple announced its transition to proprietary chips.

Microsoft Teams
Microsoft Teams

The company has not officially announced the optimized version of Teams, and the software appears to be a beta version. It isn't publicly available to Teams users, but is obtainable from Microsoft's website.

On Monday, 9to5Mac noted that the file was seemingly uploaded to Microsoft's website sometime in late April. The app, when downloaded and installed, is now a "Universal" app, meaning it's optimized for Macs with both Intel and Apple Silicon chips.

Microsoft does release new public preview versions of its app weekly. The next available preview will launch on Tuesday, April 26.

It isn't clear when exactly Microsoft will publicize or announce the optimized version of Teams, but it has been at least 18 months since Apple first kicked off its transition to first-party silicon with the M1.

Microsoft Teams is a workplace communication tool similar to Slack. Although it has been available on Apple Silicon Macs via Rosetta 2, some users have complained about the lack of native support.

While it's likely that Microsoft will officially launch the optimized update, users can download the version from the company's website as of Monday.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Optimised trash is still trash
    MplsPqwerty52watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    asterionasterion Posts: 112member
    crowley said:
    Could not agree more.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    crowley said:
    Unfortunately, I have to use the trash. If it will at least let me get through a meeting without plugging my laptop in I'll be happy. (or less unhappy)
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    Teams is such trash because it is an Electron app.  Runs everywhere, but also runs crappy everywhere.
    Beeparcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    stuartfstuartf Posts: 64member
    I ran the Apple Silicon pre-release version for all of 3 hours today before I got complaints about audio problems from meeting attendees

Sawing like noises, crackling, me stuck in a 4 work endless audio loop. My idea of perfect for them not so much

Back to the Intel binary

Stuart
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    nicholfd said:
    Teams is such trash because it is an Electron app.  Runs everywhere, but also runs crappy everywhere.
    Weren’t they supposed to be moving away from Electron?

Teams has unfortunately taken a framework that’s totally not appropriate for all day usage then made the worst experience possible. We have moved to teams purely because of its BS integration with Office but I *hate* it on a daily basis.

The product team responsible for this continue to make dumb, minor features when there are glaring usability and quality of life features that need to be implemented. Filtering chats in the chat list window based on people/topics? Forget about it. In the middle of creating a meeting invite when someone sends you a message that you must answer urgently? Forget about it. You either have to finish your current task or cancel it and lose what you’ve done. No context switching. Some chat windows can be unpinned, others, not.

Terrible terrible terrible and zero attempt to make a point 0 release. Just continuous, unimportant feature updates.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 7
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    Beeparc said:
    nicholfd said:
    Weren’t they supposed to be moving away from Electron?

Teams has unfortunately taken a framework that’s totally not appropriate for all day usage then made the worst experience possible. We have moved to teams purely because of its BS integration with Office but I *hate* it on a daily basis.

The product team responsible for this continue to make dumb, minor features when there are glaring usability and quality of life features that need to be implemented. Filtering chats in the chat list window based on people/topics? Forget about it. In the middle of creating a meeting invite when someone sends you a message that you must answer urgently? Forget about it. You either have to finish your current task or cancel it and lose what you’ve done. No context switching. Some chat windows can be unpinned, others, not.

Terrible terrible terrible and zero attempt to make a point 0 release. Just continuous, unimportant feature updates.
    Yep - just a really bad app.  Part of those problems are due to it still being an Electron app.  On Teams for Windows, sometimes the arrow keys stop working to move the cursor left/right when typing a message in chat.  Solution - log out/back in or reboot.  Simply closing Teams (fully closing) doesn't fix the issue.
    watto_cobraBeeparc