Apple hires labor-busting lawyers to fight employees' efforts to unionize

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    Fred257Fred257 Posts: 237member
    Union’s are the only reason anyone has a health plan, paid time off, sick leave, higher wages to stave of higher costs elsewhere, child labor laws and the list goes on and on. So you white dudes who get paid for sitting on you buts writing a rebuttal about unions being bad don’t have history on your side. But, the reality is that business is about making money and with Apple that means employing slave labor in a communist country and no environmental laws to get higher profits.
    So what do you expect?
    ronnbaconstangDAalseth
  • Reply 22 of 47
    Paul_BPaul_B Posts: 82member
    Apple should apply the self check-out model.  Scan one iPhone and bag two.  Problem solved, it would be more profitable, most retail employees don't even know the language's name of the written code of either the MacOS or iOS - Objective C.  They care more about the grooming of hair.  Woke is in it's last days.
    lkrupp
  • Reply 23 of 47
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Paul_B said:
    Apple should apply the self check-out model.  Scan one iPhone and bag two.  Problem solved, it would be more profitable, most retail employees don't even know the language's name of the written code of either the MacOS or iOS - Objective C.  They care more about the grooming of hair.  Woke is in it's last days.
      :D
    baconstangronnFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 24 of 47
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,108member
    If APPL was on top of things, there would be no reason to unionize.
    The most valuable company in the solar system should be (at least) paying their domestic help a living wage.
    As far as the foreign contractors, that's a whole 'nother subject for debate.
    sandorronnget serious
  • Reply 25 of 47
    sunman42sunman42 Posts: 264member
    Madbum said:
    Why? I would just fire the trouble makers or cut their hours or shift to commission pay as I am sure none of the unionizers are any good
    Well, that was a totally unjustified statement, base don nothing but (apparently) unreasoning prejudice.
    get serious
  • Reply 26 of 47
    Madbum said:
    melgross said:
    While I was an owner, and employer, in businesses, I would prefer Apple take some of those tens of billions they’re throwing away in stock buybacks, and give their employees better compensation in various ways. I don’t like the way things have been going. It used to be one of the best places to work, but it’s quickly becoming repressive. There’s no need for that, Apple can afford to do anything required to meet employee expectations.
    Stock buybacks are a throw away? Do you have a Retirement account? Mutual funds?
    Stock buybacks are often a throwaway. When Trump and the GQP juiced the stock market in 2017 with tax cuts, a huge chunk went into buybacks. Execs cashed in of course, and all of that sugar-high “wealth” created by juicing stocks with our tax dollars vanished in thin air in March 2020. 

Perhaps you heard all the people bitching about bailing out the airlines after they did all those stock buybacks?
    baconstangsandorronnget seriousFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 27 of 47
    oss117oss117 Posts: 2member
    melgross said:
    While I was an owner, and employer, in businesses, I would prefer Apple take some of those tens of billions they’re throwing away in stock buybacks, and give their employees better compensation in various ways. I don’t like the way things have been going. It used to be one of the best places to work, but it’s quickly becoming repressive. There’s no need for that, Apple can afford to do anything required to meet employee expectations.
    Why in the world would Apple or any company “do anything required to meet employee expectations”  this is not a valid reason for paying them more.  Because  a company can afford it doesn’t make it valid or reasonable.  Apple store employees are competing with employees at Best Buy, target etc.  they are retail employees and are justly compensated and are free to go to greener pastures.  The unions are using the tight labor market to entice the employees to go to the dark side.  Stores that unionize will regret it once the good labor market vanishes, which it will.  Unions impose  unreasonable work rules, protect the bad workers from being fired and the first hired last fired rule applies and is totally unfair to both sides. Unionize at your own peril.  
    How much were you paid by  Littler Mendelson for the disinformation? Labour are NO slaves, if you do not understand the difference read your Constitution.
    baconstangmuthuk_vanalingamsandorronn
  • Reply 28 of 47
    sandorsandor Posts: 659member
    Madbum said:
    melgross said:
    Stock buybacks are a throw away? Do you have a Retirement account? Mutual funds?

Only about 30% of eligible private sector US workers have a retirement account.

So most likely (70% chance) melgross does not have a retirement account or mutual funds & the corporate faffing about in the equities markets to make the rich richer does not affect them.

Livable wages & dilution of the concentrated wealth in the top 1% of society would make a huge difference. 
    The US has greater wealth disparity than we did in the roaring '20s, just before the Great Depression.
    get seriousbaconstangFileMakerFellerdewme
  • Reply 29 of 47
    Someone needs to make about $60 per hour to afford a home at the median USA price and fully fund a 401k every year with zero debt and have money left over for a car note and student loans. The only way out of that is don't go to school, don't drive, save nothing for retirement and rent small apartments with roomates in undesireable areas. Or have generous parents buy you a degree, a car and a house while they're alive then give you the rest when they die.
    edited April 2022 get seriousbaconstang
  • Reply 30 of 47
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Madbum said:
    Why? I would just fire the trouble makers or cut their hours or shift to commission pay as I am sure none of the unionizers are any good
    That is a federal crime and if you did it as flagrantly as you suggest at the very least you would soon have no business. Possibly you'd be doing time. That is very much against federal, and many state, laws.
    <<>>

This is seriously uncool TC. This will come back and bite Apple in the @$$ later on by damaging the brand.

I have an idea, instead of spending millions to thwart unionization efforts, why not put that money into improving salary and working conditions? Unions are a response, not a goal, happy workers don't unionize.

JWSCbaconstangFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 31 of 47
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    DAalseth said:
    Madbum said:
    That is a federal crime and if you did it as flagrantly as you suggest at the very least you would soon have no business. Possibly you'd be doing time. That is very much against federal, and many state, laws.
    <<>>

This is seriously uncool TC. This will come back and bite Apple in the @$$ later on by damaging the brand.

I have an idea, instead of spending millions to thwart unionization efforts, why not put that money into improving salary and working conditions? Unions are a response, not a goal, happy workers don't unionize.

I would personally support Apple more and would not shop at any Apple store that did manage to unionize. If they all unionize, I would only shop online. It will encourage lazy and entitled employees who will hide behind ridiculous and onerous work rules. Best case is that the union is unable to negotiate a contract and goes on strike. Apple then hires replacement workers.

• Reply 32 of 47
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    Madbum said:
    melgross said:
    Stock buybacks are often a throwaway. When Trump and the GQP juiced the stock market in 2017 with tax cuts, a huge chunk went into buybacks. Execs cashed in of course, and all of that sugar-high “wealth” created by juicing stocks with our tax dollars vanished in thin air in March 2020. 

Perhaps you heard all the people bitching about bailing out the airlines after they did all those stock buybacks?
    People should be clear about what they mean when they say stock buybacks are a throwaway.

If you’re fiduciary responsibility is to the shareholders there are few better options than to buy back stock. It’s basic math. For example, if a company has 1000 shares outstanding each valued at one dollar and The company by his back 200 shares, The remaining 800 shares are now worth $1.25.

You would be better off making the case that that money might have been better spent on human capital rather than enriching shareholders. But stock bybacks are no throw away
  • Reply 33 of 47
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    DAalseth said:
    Madbum said:
    <<>>

“Happy workers don’t unionize.”  Bingo!  This is not just about monetary compensation.  Management is creating a toxic work environment for enough fruit stand employees that they are willing to unionize.
    ronnget seriousMplsPbaconstangFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 34 of 47
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    DAalseth said:
    Madbum said:
    <<>>

Yeah, people are always and forever predicting Apple’s downfall in terms of public perception and “damaging the brand” just like they predicted Apple’s financial downfall if Apple didn’t build the devices with the features they demanded. All the claims of slave labor, the #Appletoo ‘movement’, screaming about anti-trust and anti-competitive behavior, and now union busting, and no dent in the brand yet except in the minds of tech blog commenters. And if those commenters are sincere in their beliefs that Apple is a  douchebag of a company then why, for God’s sake, are they still on the platform? As the saying goes, money talks and bullshit walks, so vote with your pocketbook to get the attention of this worthless, evil, greedy, employee hating, capitalist pig of a corporation.

Apple has every right to discourage the formation of a union through legals means. Employees also have every right to establish a union through legal means. In time we’ll see if anything actually happens.

edited April 2022 jibMplsPFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 35 of 47
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    lkrupp said:
    melgross said:
    And just how is working for Apple becoming “repressive”? All we know about the situation what we read in biased news media reports. All we’ve been presented with are one sided accounts of alleged employee incidents because that’s what gets clicks. As for employee expectations what is expected by retail floor sales clerks? $80K paychecks, 20 minute breaks every hour? What? Respect is a two way street. 
    Don’t be naive. We see this daily now. Don’t believe just what you want to believe. Apple has lost lawsuits ove some things they’ve done. One that got major media attention was the bag checks at the end of working shifts. Being an employer, I find it easy to spot what happening. I’m no idealist, and I’m a strong capitalist. But I’m also understanding of worker rights and compensation. 
    muthuk_vanalingamget seriousronnMplsPFileMakerFellerlkrupp
  • Reply 36 of 47
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    melgross said:
    Why in the world would Apple or any company “do anything required to meet employee expectations”  this is not a valid reason for paying them more.  Because  a company can afford it doesn’t make it valid or reasonable.  Apple store employees are competing with employees at Best Buy, target etc.  they are retail employees and are justly compensated and are free to go to greener pastures.  The unions are using the tight labor market to entice the employees to go to the dark side.  Stores that unionize will regret it once the good labor market vanishes, which it will.  Unions impose  unreasonable work rules, protect the bad workers from being fired and the first hired last fired rule applies and is totally unfair to both sides. Unionize at your own peril.  
    Maybe you’ve never been involved with hiring, firing and compensation. So I imagine that you don’t fully understand what I meant. I didn’t mean that you give emp,oyees every thing they want. But you do need to meet them in a place where they believe they’ve been fairly dealt with. That’s expectations. Apple has been trying to squeeze every penny of profit out in recent years. There’s no need for that.
    muthuk_vanalingamget seriousronnbaconstangFileMakerFellerlkrupp
  • Reply 37 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    JWSC said:
    Madbum said:
    melgross said:

People should be clear about what they mean when they say stock buybacks are a throwaway.

If you’re fiduciary responsibility is to the shareholders there are few better options than to buy back stock. It’s basic math. For example, if a company has 1000 shares outstanding each valued at one dollar and The company by his back 200 shares, The remaining 800 shares are now worth $1.25.
    Except they aren't. Stock is worth only what someone will pay for it and there's zero evidence buybacks drove the price higher.  That's unless you have some proof of how much Apple price increased because of them, and that it would have been stagnant or lower without. Otherwise, it's a matter of faith:  It must be so because.... 
    muthuk_vanalingamronnFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 38 of 47
    JWSC said:
    Madbum said:
    melgross said:

You would be better off making the case that that money might have been better spent on human capital rather than enriching shareholders. But stock bybacks are no throw away
    You're basing your math on U.S. Buggy Whips' value remaining constant. Buybacks create nothing. That capital reinvested in the companies R&D, employees and infrastructure result in innovations that allow growth out of the buggy whip business and into the next big things like iPods>iPhones>Apple Silicon>AR/VR>transportation>healthcare 
    muthuk_vanalingamronnbaconstangFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 39 of 47
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    I’d like to point out that the statement that companies in Germany work hand in hand with unions in Germany, with unions having a seat on BoD etc of Germany companies, is not true. 

What is true is that workers can organize a “Works Council” (Betriebsrat), whether or not they are unionized.  The works council is represented in the company (BoD etc) and works with the company in work rules etc.  There are certain things they cannot do which unions can. I don’t remember the details.  Wikipedia has an article that goes over some of it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Works_council   

Works councils are often populated with union members as they tend to gravitate to such things but there is no requirement to be a union member to get elected and be on the council.  

They tend to take Union national guidelines for policies and work rules and similar and try and implement those, modified for the local circumstances and in cooperation with the company.  

I worked at Digital Equipment GmbH (DEC Germany) in Munich a little over 30 years ago and witnessed it. They (Betriebsrat) had nothing to do with salary and wages but did negotiate  work rules (we worked 40 hours a week but had a 37.5 hour work week and banked 2.5 hours a week time off in addition to the 30 days of vacation).  (Another example was not being able, in most cases, to require weekend or nights work of those whose shifts were normal workweek day shifts, which irritated the foreigners at the place to no end as it meant we couldn’t do system upgrades at night or on weekends but had to have complicated procedures to do live upgrades during the day).  They also affected severance IIRC. 
    JWSCFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 40 of 47
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,257member
    $30 dollars an hour to work in retail? You’ve got to be joking. If you want to make that kind of money, learn a skill besides operating a cash register and tidying up shelves. 
    bloggerblogchadbag