XedXed Posts: 2,613member
    crowley said:
    Xed said:
    MplsP said:
    Xed said:
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:
    slurpy said:
    Still cannot believe Apple did this. Pretty massive endeavour. And of course not a single positive word uttered by the right to repair hypocrites and trolls. Just more criticism and complaining.  
    When you understand that the right-to-repair advocates won’t be satisfied with anything less than a complete redesign of the iPhone you know why they are still upset. They literally want snap-apart enclosures with gaskets instead of adhesives, standard Phillips screws, snap-in batteries, third party parts, no special tools required. Go to some of the right-to-repair websites and you’ll see what they want. 
    What’s so outrageous about standard screws?
    Define standard. Phillips or flat head screws? No thank you.
    How about Torx - they are standard almost across the entire electronics industry. it's not that tough…
    I prefer Torx, a design from the 1960s specifically created to deal with the cam out problems of flathead and Phillips. Crowley thinks flathead are perfectly fine for this CE but it's not. And what if Apple used Torx Security or Torx Plus?

As for Pentalobe, it's use is cleared it's not like my mother will have that size Pentalobe or Torx in a toolkit if she even wanted to tackle such a repair. Any decent toolkit for small CE repairs will have the Torx, Penatlobe, Phillips, flat head, etc. If Apple was using Torx people would still complain that they couldn't repair an iPhone with an eyeglass repair kit from CVS.

PS: According to Wikipedia Huawei has also used Pentalobe. I wonder why Avon hasn't mentioned that.
    I didn’t bring up flathead, you did. If given a choice I would prefer torx. And I do not think it accurate to say  any decent toolkit will contain pentalobe screwdrivers. They are not common. Most decently sized socket sets will contain torx but not pentalobe.
    Which toolkit for fixing handheld CE are you referring when referencing socket sets? I’m looking at IFixit’s website and don’t see any.

I do have an automotive tool kit with sockets, and that contains flathead, Phillips, and Allen, but not Torx, etc.

Different tools. Different applications.
  • Reply 42 of 62
    mr lizardmr lizard Posts: 354member
    darkvader said:
    Ridiculous.  Absolutely ridiculous, and designed to discourage users from doing what is in reality a VERY simple repair that can be done with hand tools.

I've changed dozens of iPhone batteries, and I've never needed any of these ridiculous gizmos.  Simple hand tools are all you need.  If you want to get fancy taking the glass off, use an iSclack.  You can press it back together with your hands, or put a stack of books on it.  Light finger pressure is sufficient to re-glue the battery.
    So if it’s “VERY” simple and can be done with hand tools, what’s the problem? People can simply not bother with Apple’s repair solution and do it with those simple hand tools you describe. 

Apple’s DIY solution hasn’t replaced other repair methods. 

By the way, the tools Apple’s offering here are the ones they use. They’ll be thrilled to hear from you that they can do it much cheaper. 
    edited May 2022 hammeroftruthdewmestompybestkeptsecretrandominternetpersonpscooter63urahara
  • Reply 43 of 62
    svogonsvogon Posts: 7member
    What right to repair people want is:

Apple to not serialize parts so that they cannot be swapped from like devices and not work for no other reason than to prevent repair.

Apple to not go out of their way to serialize parts for the mere sake of preventing repair.

Apple to not come up with new screw designs to, well, screw 3rd party repair.  Say all you want about standard screws on the outside, but the inside will never be seen by those too afraid to open the device.

The arguments about screw design in this thread is almost as hilarious as the people saying no one should be allowed to fix their cars either.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 44 of 62
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:
    slurpy said:
    Still cannot believe Apple did this. Pretty massive endeavour. And of course not a single positive word uttered by the right to repair hypocrites and trolls. Just more criticism and complaining.  
    When you understand that the right-to-repair advocates won’t be satisfied with anything less than a complete redesign of the iPhone you know why they are still upset. They literally want snap-apart enclosures with gaskets instead of adhesives, standard Phillips screws, snap-in batteries, third party parts, no special tools required. Go to some of the right-to-repair websites and you’ll see what they want. 
    That bureaucrats would mandate them
  • Reply 45 of 62
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,481member
    lmasanti said:
    lkrupp said:
    slurpy said:
    On an anecdotal note I wanted to replace the light bulb in my microwave oven some years ago. When taking apart the enclosure I discovered one of the screws was a non-standard pentium head. It became clear the manufacturer didn’t want the user anywhere near the magnetron tube. There were warnings all over that there were no user serviceable parts inside. 
    The magnetron tube is a high voltage… highest risk part of the device… so it could have been just a ‘safety measure.’
    These batteries are highly volatile chemical bombs when not handled properly. Remember there have been incidents  at Apple stores during repairs that required them to put the phone in a protective chamber to control the runaway reaction
    hammeroftruth
  • Reply 46 of 62
    svogon said:

Apple to not serialize parts so that they cannot be swapped from like devices and not work for no other reason than to prevent repair.

Apple to not go out of their way to serialize parts for the mere sake of preventing repair.

Apple to not come up with new screw designs to, well, screw 3rd party repair.  Say all you want about standard screws on the outside, but the inside will never be seen by those too afraid to open the device.

The arguments about screw design in this thread is almost as hilarious as the people saying no one should be allowed to fix their cars either.
    Outside of components used for biometric security which ones are not swappable between models?
  • Reply 47 of 62
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Xed said:
    crowley said:
    Xed said:
    MplsP said:
    Xed said:
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:
    slurpy said:
    How about Torx - they are standard almost across the entire electronics industry. it's not that tough…
    I prefer Torx, a design from the 1960s specifically created to deal with the cam out problems of flathead and Phillips. Crowley thinks flathead are perfectly fine for this CE but it's not. And what if Apple used Torx Security or Torx Plus?

As for Pentalobe, it's use is cleared it's not like my mother will have that size Pentalobe or Torx in a toolkit if she even wanted to tackle such a repair. Any decent toolkit for small CE repairs will have the Torx, Penatlobe, Phillips, flat head, etc. If Apple was using Torx people would still complain that they couldn't repair an iPhone with an eyeglass repair kit from CVS.

PS: According to Wikipedia Huawei has also used Pentalobe. I wonder why Avon hasn't mentioned that.
    I didn’t bring up flathead, you did. If given a choice I would prefer torx. And I do not think it accurate to say  any decent toolkit will contain pentalobe screwdrivers. They are not common. Most decently sized socket sets will contain torx but not pentalobe.
    Which toolkit for fixing handheld CE are you referring when referencing socket sets? I’m looking at IFixit’s website and don’t see any.

I do have an automotive tool kit with sockets, and that contains flathead, Phillips, and Allen, but not Torx, etc.

My generalist socket set has torx, but doesn’t have pentalobe. Kinda proves the point that there’s an order of popularity and pentalobe is toward the bottom.
    MplsP
  • Reply 48 of 62
    lkrupp said:
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:
    slurpy said:
    That bureaucrats would mandate them
    Who is suggesting they should or would?
  • Reply 49 of 62
    crowley said:
    Xed said:
    crowley said:
    Xed said:
    MplsP said:
    Xed said:
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:
    slurpy said:

My generalist socket set has torx, but doesn’t have pentalobe. Kinda proves the point that there’s an order of popularity and pentalobe is toward the bottom.
    Again, your socket set isn't going to fix an iPhone and it's silly to yell at Apple for not building devices that you can fix with your socket set (or eyeglass repair kit, which at least is in the ballpark of the right size).

Also, again, Torx may be included with your tools, but they aren't with all of them, were uncommon at one point when Phillips and flathead were your definition of "standard" and doesn't account for the variations of Torx in your general statement. You also have considered the other end of the engineering and production equation. While it wasn't you that claimed Apple's choices were arbitrary and random you seem to have that seem sense that there's not reason for their choices that could any way help them build iPhones faster.
  • Reply 50 of 62
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,315member
    svogon said:

Apple does not serialize parts to prevent a repair. They serialize them to track a repair so they know if it was done by them or not. So during its time under warranty, if you try to repair a device with a non-apple repair, they will know. 

This right to repair discussion is a double edged sword. You want to know how to repair your device and do it right with parts that are the same as the ones you removed, this is what it costs and how tedious it is. You want to repair it cheaper and don’t give a shit about longevity, or safety then forgo Apple’s kit and have some back alley shit show repair place do it, or go to ifixit where there are many comments about damaging their device or causing fires and take your chances. 

More people have their whole life on their iPhone and think their data is priceless, yet they will risk losing everything (including their home and life if it goes awry), to save some money.

Apple and third parties make warranties to avoid doing this, but for some people it’s not worth it. 

My gripe about manufacturers is for companies like John Deere and auto manufacturers who make barriers to fix your over 40k investment even after the warranty has expired. Those are the ones that need to compromise on what is fair when servicing a product of theirs, out of warranty. 
    tht
  • Reply 51 of 62
    Apple does not serialize parts to prevent a repair. They serialize them to track a repair so they know if it was done by them or not. So during its time under warranty, if you try to repair a device with a non-apple repair, they will know. 

Yeah, they do just that.  They could just as easily serialize them and track the history of the device without disabling functionality.  If it goes back for service and it isn't the serial number of the part THEY provided, then deny warranty service and the customer is free to pay them or try a 3rd party provider.  I worked for an AASP+ a long time ago and many parts has serial numbers (stickers) on them and Apple would do just that.  It's not a new concept and is even easier to do that now.

I have no interest in repairing my own phone or iPad, but I want the freedom to choose a 3rd party reputable provider if it is cheaper than Apple.  Maybe its an old iPad I use in the garage while working on my car and a screen repair only needs to be "good enough" and I don't need an A+ quality one.  I can get a little more life out of my device.

Key words there: MY DEVICE.  I own it.  I paid GOOD MONEY for it.  It is MINE, not Apple's. They don't get to dictate terms to me after the sale and after the warranty.
  • Reply 52 of 62
    xyzzy-xxxxyzzy-xxx Posts: 185member
    After reading some comments, I would like to state that this kit will be used by independent repair shops – so it makes some sense.
    Since Apple wants to be recognized as a 'green' company and with pending laws I would guess that some parts of this kit would not be needed in the future, since batteries will become user replaceable.
  • Reply 53 of 62
    xyzzy-xxx said:
    After reading some comments, I would like to state that this kit will be used by independent repair shops – so it makes some sense.
    Since Apple wants to be recognized as a 'green' company and with pending laws I would guess that some parts of this kit would not be needed in the future, since batteries will become user replaceable.
    Yeah, lots missing that point. Joe Smith isn't going to get all of that equipment to repair his iPhone one time, or even two...
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 54 of 62
    Xed said:
    crowley said:
    Xed said:
    crowley said:
    Xed said:
    MplsP said:
    Xed said:
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:
    slurpy said:

Again, your socket set isn't going to fix an iPhone and it's silly to yell at Apple for not building devices that you can fix with your socket set (or eyeglass repair kit, which at least is in the ballpark of the right size).

Also, again, Torx may be included with your tools, but they aren't with all of them, were uncommon at one point when Phillips and flathead were your definition of "standard" and doesn't account for the variations of Torx in your general statement. You also have considered the other end of the engineering and production equation. While it wasn't you that claimed Apple's choices were arbitrary and random you seem to have that seem sense that there's not reason for their choices that could any way help them build iPhones faster.
    I don’t think Apples choices are arbitrary and random. I think they’re deliberate and difficult.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 55 of 62
    tpo12312tpo12312 Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    RIGHT TO REPAIR IS ABOUT THIRD PARTY REPAIR.

Anyone random who thinks they can fix a smartphone themselves... lol good luck. They are IDIOTS.
    Anyone who thinks this is about Joe Schmo getting a kit and repairing his phone himself, with no hands on experience is an IDIOT.

Why cant you people understand this yet?
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 56 of 62
    macxpress said:
    lkrupp said:
    slurpy said:

On an anecdotal note I wanted to replace the light bulb in my microwave oven some years ago. When taking apart the enclosure I discovered one of the screws was a non-standard pentium head. It became clear the manufacturer didn’t want the user anywhere near the magnetron tube. There were warnings all over that there were no user serviceable parts inside. 
    This is exactly what these people want. They want Apple to design all Apple products as completely modular with everything imaginable replaceable. They will fight everything possible until they get this. I just don't get these people TBH. 
    No, they want Apple to not do asinine things like go out of their way to serialize parts so you can't even swap like for like items from two identical OEM devices. I'll wait for the "oh the security, think of this children!" trope.  These folks are more than capable of very complex repairs, much more than board swaps, they do component level repairs.  But to some here, unless they wear a shirt with an Apple logo, they aren't good enough.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 57 of 62
    Yep, totally makes sense to have iPhones repaired professionally.  
  • Reply 58 of 62
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,947member
    Xed said:
    crowley said:
    Xed said:
    crowley said:
    Xed said:
    MplsP said:
    Xed said:
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:
    slurpy said:

FFS, is it that tough to grasp? Pentalobe screws were introduced by Apple several years ago as a means to prevent people from opening their devices. As you have said, Torx screws have been around for decades and are an industry standard. There is no technical benefit to the pentalobe screws over torx screws and even now they are difficult to find. A standard computer technician’s screw driver set will include torx. It will not include pentalobe. 

Quit being so obtuse, @Xed ;
    crowleymuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 59 of 62
    command_fcommand_f Posts: 422member
    crowley said:

Not sure what’s so disgusting about flat head screws, but meh, whatever floats your boat.
    A major selection criterion will be something that simplifies/speeds assembly in mass production. Flat heads are less good at self/quick location for robots/workers in a hurry and less resistant to slippages, hence damage and increased rejection rates.

You could also argue that they're also less attractive for device aesthetics but that's a whole new can of worms.
    Xed
  • Reply 60 of 62
    drdaviddrdavid Posts: 90member
    If a pentalobe screw is a showstopper on someone’s self-repair attempt, it’s for the best. 
    Xed