Ex-Apple engineer explains why the first iPhone didn't have copy and paste

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    thttht Posts: 5,454member
    Beats said:
    It’s insane how much work Apple has to do to invent the first iPhone. Swiping, scrolling and pinch-to-zoom were insanely great innovations.

Only for Android to come along and copy all the hard work. Imagine how that felt?
    I think they were very proud and expecting it. They definitely knew it was a race.

Good ideas should proliferate. That's as it should be. Nobody has an exclusive right to an idea, and everyone should expect good ideas to be used everywhere possible and as soon as possible. What you list are just ideas. Everyone and anyone can think of it. What shouldn't be done is the copying of code and art.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 26
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,566member
    tht said:
    Beats said:
    It’s insane how much work Apple has to do to invent the first iPhone. Swiping, scrolling and pinch-to-zoom were insanely great innovations.

Only for Android to come along and copy all the hard work. Imagine how that felt?
    I think they were very proud and expecting it. They definitely knew it was a race.
    That's why they patented the hell out of everything, I suppose? And went through years of court proceedings, only to win, win again, and then finally lose, because by that time their tech had become so ingrained to daily life that it was unimaginable that it could have been otherwise? 

"…and boy, have we patented it!"

watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 26
    Beats said:

It must have felt something like Apple coming along and copying windowed GUIs & mice (plus probably more) from Xerox PARC to make the Mac.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,566member
    Beats said:

It must have felt something like Apple coming along and copying windowed GUIs & mice (plus probably more) from Xerox PARC to make the Mac.
    I doubt it, since Google didn’t ask for permission and then LICENSE the tech in exchange for stock options, the way Apple did with Xerox. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 26
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,324member
    Beats said:
    danox said:
    Beats said:

Having a Google insider on the inside didn’t help, their lead over the competition would have been 4 to 5 years. As it was the big five didn’t do anything (Microsoft, Nokia, Blackberry, Sony-Ericsson, Motorola) were all in denial for most of the first three years after the original iPhone came out.

DEFINITELY. At the time Apple felt betrayed by everyone except Google so you would often see Steve Jobs praising and giving free promotion to Google. Saying they were the best and all.

Android releasing on all major networks just a year later confused the public and is the reason many iKnockoff morons don’t know Apple invented the iPhone and Androids were knockoffs developed to steal user data.

I had some iKnockoff moron tell me Apple copied Android because the OS Android was being developed before 2007. That OS of course, never released.

Samsung before iPhone is basically evenly divided between Nokia knockoffs and Blackberry knockoffs  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 26
    alezvicalezvic Posts: 3member
    auxio said:
    alezvic said:
    Beats said:

A huge corporation copying another big corporation, cry me a river. Kocienda got paid by Apple and kept being paid regardless. 

The real sad thing is when a big corporation copies a small team of devs who seamingly get their main source of revenue destroyed overnight.
    Remove.bg, Camo, Pillbox from the top of my head, this WWDC alone. 
    Watson, f.lux, Growl, Duet and Luna Display and many other before. 
    Not unlike what Google did to Skyhook and many others whose services were integrated into Android.  Not to mention completely wiping out the value of software by giving it away for free and funding it via data harvesting.  Imagine if an architect's firm or a doctor's practice had to figure out how to collect and monetize data about their clients in order to make a living.  That's what small software companies need to do to these days.

Totally agree, and that's my point. It's sad when the livelihood of small dev teams is at risk because big companies with thousands of people swipe them out the map.

Corporations stealing between them... I'm not saying it's right, but I won't shed a tear for them.