M2 MacBook Air could hit shelves on July 15, with preorders on July 8

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited June 2022
Apple's new M2 MacBook Air could find its way to customers and storefronts by mid-July.

While we know that Apple plans on releasing the new MacBook Air in July, the company did not provide a date when it announced the updated model at WWDC 2022.

According to a retail source who spoke to MacRumors, the new M2 MacBook Air will be available starting on Friday, July 15, with preorders going live on Friday, July 8.

This could be the case, as Apple typically opens preorders on a Friday, with devices appearing on store shelves and shipping out a week later. However, Apple generally does not tell third-party retailers about release dates this far in advance.

The new M2 MacBook Air boasts a thinner, lighter body than its predecessor. It has a larger display, thinner bezels, a notch, and a 1080p webcam. Thanks to the M2 chip, it's got an 18% faster CPU, a 35% faster GPU, and gets upwards of 18 hours of battery life. It starts at $1,199 and maxes out at $2,499.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Fred257Fred257 Posts: 237member
    If it is anything at all like the M2 MacBook Pro with slow hard drives I would say forget it and that Apple is now 100 percent about ripping people off. Yes, Apple, we see what you are doing with the M2 do you think we are stupid???
    sharkbait20williamlondonantic4
  • Reply 2 of 6
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    I hope they've got plenty of stock. :)
    fred1
  • Reply 3 of 6
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Even if worldwide PC sales slow down; M2 Macbook Air will be run away success in laptop category. 
    edited June 2022
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Fred257 said:
    If it is anything at all like the M2 MacBook Pro with slow hard drives I would say forget it and that Apple is now 100 percent about ripping people off. Yes, Apple, we see what you are doing with the M2 do you think we are stupid???
    I mean, this is something you can so easily look at on their website... All their laptops (including the M2 MacBook Pro), come with relatively fast SSDs. To answer your rhetorical question—in your case, I think yes.
    williamlondonJapheyappleinsideruserdewme
  • Reply 5 of 6
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,718member
    Fred257 said:
    The base model m2 MacBook Pro is a joke with the SSD performance cut in half. Though it’s a byproduct of using one chip instead of two equaling the same capacity, it really hurt the m2 brand. 

The larger capacities use two chips and are actually faster than m1 ssd speeds, but still. 

The Air is Apples big seller. They won’t be so foolish… I hope. 

If they cheaped out on the SSD (while jacking the price up $200), they will have tarnished the M2 brand even more. 

There is pent up demand for this machine and if they stayed the course on making the best products in the world, this thing will sell like hotcakes. It’s a beautiful design and has some great specs. Just needs to make sure that every component is utilized fully. No shortcuts. 

I think the m2 13 MBP is just a “free money” thing for apple. Take the old chassis and dump the new chip in. No development spent outside of the m2 itself. Actually makes sense if the 5nm m2 will only be used in the MBP and Air. It won’t have the economy of scale pricing benefit that the m1 had in so many devices. As the m2 derivatives are reported to go 3nm, it’s a cost thing - especially since first gen yields won’t be as high as more mature processes. 

Overall, I’m not surprised that the BASE MODEL Mw2 MBP ssd speeds are slower. That’s what many will buy, making some easy money for apple. But the rest of the lineup has FASTER SSD speeds. And the Air will likely avoid these missteps. The 13” MBP is nearly an afterthought. The Air has had some heart and soul put into it. 
  • Reply 6 of 6
    jccjcc Posts: 326member
    People need to calm down. I’m sure this will be fixed with a firmware update soon. People need to take a chill pill. M2 SSDs will be faster. Don’t worry.