Rumored Apple Watch Pro could cost $900

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited July 2022
The long-rumored rugged Apple Watch Series 8 model could be given the "Pro" branding, a report claims, with Apple also potentially eliminating the "Edition" model to make room.

Repeated reports have speculated that Apple is working on a new Apple Watch model that has a larger display and a more protective case, intended at extreme sports and highly active users. Though rumors keep referring to it as a "rugged" Apple Watch, one now claims the model could borrow a suffix used by other Apple products.

In Sunday's "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg, Mark Gurman believes that the Apple Watch will be given the name of the Apple Watch Pro, to go with its larger size and increased protection. The use of "Pro" will widen Apple's portfolio of products that includes Pro models, which could also give the model increased status.

"That smartwatch will be designed to appeal to extreme sports athletes and anyone who might otherwise buy a high-end Garmin sports watch for intense workouts," Gurman writes.

At the same time as introducing a Pro model, Gurman thinks it will also result in Apple pulling the Edition model from the roster. The Edition model, originally encased in gold, shifted to stainless steel, titanium, and ceramic enclosures later in life, and was always presented as the most premium option available.

The Apple Watch Pro, which could have a bigger screen and larger battery, an S8 chip, and a body temperature sensor, could have a price starting closer to $900. Gurman offers that the higher price could be justified by the larger display and use of more premium materials.

Gurman also speculates about the fate of the rumored low power mode of watchOS, which was thought to be shown off at WWDC but instead failed to appear. It is thought that the mode could still be announced at a later date.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    Actually the most premium version of the watch is the Apple Watch Hermès. Really hope that will continue, though suspect it will as it serves a different market and is a mutually beneficial partnership.
    sflagelBeatsappleuseryeahbyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 55
    caladaniancaladanian Posts: 380member
    Apple has a strange understanding of “professionals”, apparently. I’m missing the white ceramic option despite the price, still love my AW 5 edition but it’s not even possible to get a white edition sport band as replacement any longer …discontinued was the short answer after 1,5 hours in phone calls with Apple support.  :/
    wonkothesanes.metcalfwilliamlondonbyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 55
    jb510jb510 Posts: 129member
    The only feature I’d pay double for is double the battery life.  
    williamlondonh2pAnilu_777saarekdewmeappleuseryeahentropysbyronlAI_lias
  • Reply 4 of 55
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    S8 is rumour to be S6 with rebranding. If this is the case then the 900 dollars price tag isn't justified.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 55
    Fred257Fred257 Posts: 237member
    For a watch. Let that sink in… 
    williamlondon9secondkox2
  • Reply 6 of 55
    SkepticalSkeptical Posts: 183member
    Fred257 said:
    I paid much more than that for my Rolex Explorer II but I think Apple has jumped the shark here with $900. The TAG Connected wasn’t much more than this and TAG is a watch company but Apple knows there are people out there to buy it. 
    williamlondon9secondkox2
  • Reply 7 of 55
    XedXed Posts: 2,566member
    Apple has a strange understanding of “professionals”, apparently.
    I think you aren't understanding what a marketing term is for and how it's used. While the Pro moniker may have originally stood for professional that isn't what it has to mean now. Remember the S branding on the iPhone 3GS? That originally stood for speed, according to Apple, but then in 2 years they gave it a different meaning, and then another different meaning.

Even if you have to pick a positive meaning that begins with pro, there's the definition of in favor of or advantage that fits nicely without even looking words that use pro- as prefix.
    edited July 2022 williamlondonbageljoeytht9secondkox2muthuk_vanalingamStrangeDaysbyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 55

Rumored wearable Apple Watch Pro could cost $900

Redundancy is redundant. I think Apple Watch sufficiently implies that it's wearable.
    scoodogwilliamlondonCluntBaby92byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 55
    Fred257 said:
    Let what sink in? It won' be the only option and $900 is still very inexpensive for the prices at which wrist worn devices scale. Personally, I'd rather pay $900 for an Apple Watch that is a computer that has advanced health monitoring features and can make phone calls over several thousand for some Swiss-made watch that only tells the time.

While I doubt it's going to happen in the next couple years I do think we'll eventually move to a widescreen format to allow for better use of real estate and features on our wrists.
    edited July 2022 Anilu_777Beatsthtmuthuk_vanalingamStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 55
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 537member
    Fred257 said:
    So, what, you only bought Timex or Casio?

Just saw an ad for a high-end watch whose claim to fame was that was no thicker than a quarter. 

And it cost $1,888,000.00.

For a watch that's nothing more than a watch. Let THAT sink in...
    edited July 2022 williamlondonBeatsradarthekat9secondkox2StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 55
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    Fred257 said:
    A disposable watch! 
    s.metcalf9secondkox2MrBunside
  • Reply 12 of 55
    AF_HittAF_Hitt Posts: 143member
    Skeptical said:
    Fred257 said:
    I paid much more than that for my Rolex Explorer II but I think Apple has jumped the shark here with $900. The TAG Connected wasn’t much more than this and TAG is a watch company but Apple knows there are people out there to buy it. 
    Agreed, watch prices can be quite insane at the “high” end, let alone the truly luxury category. Your Rolex will probably still be working when/if you decide to pass it down to grandkids one day. $900 for a wrist computer that will be obsolete in a few years is an entirely different pill to swallow.
    williamlondonAnilu_777sflagelbandits19secondkox2entropysbonobobMrBunsidemacplusplus
  • Reply 13 of 55
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    AF_Hitt said:
    Skeptical said:
    Fred257 said:
    Agreed, watch prices can be quite insane at the “high” end, let alone the truly luxury category. Your Rolex will probably still be working when/if you decide to pass it down to grandkids one day. $900 for a wrist computer that will be obsolete in a few years is an entirely different pill to swallow.
    The idea of passing down watches is overstated. No one wears their grandparents’ Omegas. But these high end Swiss watches are jewelry, to be worn to show one’s ability to generate disposable income, especially to other people that are “in the know”. No Apple Watch will ever be able to do it the same way. On the other hand, if you upgrade your Apple Watch every two years and sell your old one, even a $900 Watch probably ends up costing less than $30 per month. That’s not a lot. 
    edited July 2022 thtradarthekatright_said_fred9secondkox2StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 55
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    I love my Series 6 Apple Watch. I frequently find myself leaving my iPhone at home when I’m out and about. The Apple Watch paired with some AirPods Pro really do make the phone redundant for a lot of my day.

I do find myself wishing that the battery life was better and that it wasn’t as tethered to the iPhone as it is. When doing a 6 hour hike I find I have to take my iPhone with me because using the GPS for routes and Bluetooth on my Apple Watch just kills the battery too fast.

If they released a bigger Apple Watch with a much better battery I’d seriously consider upgrading. Not sure I’d go the £900 route though. I mean the current Series 7 45MM with Cellular is £499, I’m not sure how they could justify £400 more, a £100 more, sure, but £400…… I just don’t see it.
    sflagelBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 55
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    sflagel said:
    The idea of passing down watches is overstated. No one wears their grandparents’ Omegas.  
    Let me correct that for you: "No one I know wears their grandparents' Omegas."

There are people who do. I'm one of them and I'm not alone however indeed there are relatively few of us at least in the USA. There are more such people in Europe and a handful of other countries (Japan for example). And my grandpa's Omega was a mass-market model from the early Fifties, not a model from one of their premium lines.

Antiques aren't always expensive.

In the same way, there are people cooking on grandma's cast iron skillet. You can buy a brand new replacement at the local restaurant supply store for $25-30.
    sflagel said:
    But these high end Swiss watches are jewelry, to be worn to show one’s ability to generate disposable income, especially to other people that are “in the know”. No Apple Watch will ever be able to do it the same way. On the other hand, if you upgrade your Apple Watch every two years and sell your old one, even a $900 Watch probably ends up costing less than $30 per month. That’s not a lot. 
    Correct, non-smartwatches are jewelry especially when pretty much everyone has a cellphone which is a more accurate timepiece.

One thing to point out is that you aren't required to wear only one watch. Most people who like watches actually own several and will wear different ones just like shoes.

Antique watches are more interesting because there's a story behind them regardless of how much it's worth today.

Seeing someone wearing a brand new Breitling or IWC wristwatch isn't particularly noteworthy. There are tons of people around my area who wear expensive wristwatches and I don't hang out with VCs or the country club set. Any random schmuck with a fat bank account can buy one.
    edited July 2022 ramanpfaffCluntBaby92sflagelwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 55
    I doubt they’re going to get rid of the “premium luxury” options like Edition or Hermes. “Premium Sport” and “Premium Luxury” can coexist in the same price range without cannibalizing one another. They have completely different customer bases, take GMC for example. They have the Sierra Denali and Sierra AT4; both are “premium” models that cost about the same and both are doing amazing in terms of sales.  
  • Reply 17 of 55
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    From the article:

"That smartwatch will be designed to appeal to extreme sports athletes and anyone who might otherwise buy a high-end Garmin sports watch for intense workouts," Gurman writes.

A high-end Garmin Fenix watch is already at this price point (or more for the $1K Epix), so the AW Pro is comparable in price. The article makes it clear that it's not a boutique Edition version or to be cross-shopped with a Rolex or Omega.

My big question is: can this AW Pro match the battery life of the (much larger) Garmin?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 55
    GG1 said:
    From the article:

My big question is: can this AW Pro match the battery life of the (much larger) Garmin?
    And here's the answer to your question: no one knows.

It's just a rumor. You have to take all rumors -- anywhere on the Internet not just AppleInsider -- with a very, Very, VERY large grain of salt.

It's important to note that the majority of rumors don't end up being real. This isn't a new development. People have been speculating about Apple (and other companies) for decades and there is always a large amount of inaccurate predictions. 

What you read on the Internet isn't gospel especially when it pertains to forward-looking statements. This is a difficult concept for some people to comprehend but there it is.
    edited July 2022 9secondkox2muthuk_vanalingamStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 55
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    hmlongco said:
    Fred257 said:
    So, what, you only bought Timex or Casio?

Yep.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 55
    Apple has a strange understanding of “professionals”, apparently.
    I've been an Apple customer for decades and as far as I can tell "professional" is a marketing moniker that mostly means "more expensive."

It's usually accompanied by slightly better performance. Is that enough to merit the "professional" branding?

It is for Apple. And perhaps more importantly their overall customer base has accepted Apple's usage of the term.
    tht9secondkox2