Confirmed: New PowerMac Has Aluminum Front Panel

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

why do people want it smaller? its a tower. the smaller you get the less expandability.

I aggree. This is what killed the Cube, and the price. But the cube did not have extra drive bays, or PCI slots. But it was a Kick ass design.

Hey! Maybe the new Power mac will have PCI-X!!
  • Reply 22 of 38
    charlesscharless Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

That's what everyone said about the iBook...

Barto

And I'd be willing to wager that the handles were removed from the iBook more to stave off the comments about it looking like a purse than because they weren't handy, or any other usability concern.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    I don't use them often, but when I do, the handles are very convenient. After 4 years, it's a distinguishing characteristic, like Saab having the ignition between the front seats.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    drewprops, that made me laugh and my in-laws will be here soon so I wasn't exactly in a laughing mood, so thanks mate.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Inlaws are sometimes evil...but my aunt and her fiance the Luftansa mechanic are coming in soon, and they are pretty nice...never mind.

What I want to see is a beautiful, shiny white plastic case, not the light grey that the currnet PM's have, and a brushed aluminum front panel, instead of the current dark grey plastic. I want the optical drive doors to be almost invisible when closed, and maybe have the doors glow blue around the edges when there is a CD in the drive. Ooooh, and maybe have the edges pulse when there is a CD-R being burned... Maybe a small door, almost invisible, should pop open when pressed, and reveal one Firewire and 2 usb ports for quick iPod connection. The power button should be like on the 17 and 23 inch displays, you know, the solid state type, and the location of the button should be marked by a subtle little power symbol. The expansion bay should have the feel of an expensive car door opening, with a satisfying thump , and the door should glide down in a nice, dampened fashion.

And, of course, this will all be liquid nitrogen cooled.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

On to topic, remember the glowing case design that Apple patented a few months ago......well, don't be surprised to see it come to life, so to speak.

You mean the keyboards in the Al PowerMacs?
  • Reply 27 of 38
    Confirmed, eh?

Hopefully you'll learn to take the rumors you read on rumor sites as rumors. Having followed them for years, I have pretty much stopped reading. Very little of what you read there is worth reading. Nothing is confirmed until you hear it from Steve's mouth or see it on the the website. Don't get me started on how often 'confirmed' tidbits of information have turned out to be completely false.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    MacWhispers = MOSR, the second comming..

• Reply 29 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

MacWhispers = MOSR, the second comming..

I would second that, but I am waiting until June to make that judgement. They seem to have a lot of stuff coming out and I hope that there is some truth or they will be the next MOSR. They already have one major miss on their recent confirmed iPod on Tuesday a couple of months ago. Is there any others?
  • Reply 30 of 38
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

[On to topic, remember the glowing case design that Apple patented a few months ago......well, don't be surprised to see it come to life, so to speak.

Aluminum....I doubt it.....Quicksilver was much more sexy than the mirrored, wind-tunnel fan blowers.

I've been waiting for the "glowing plastics" as well, but I always assumed they would appear in the iMac or eMac consumer arena first, not in a pro machine sitting under a desk.

I at first disliked the mirrored doors, but they have grown on me and I like shiney metals. Plastic corners and handles with mirror sides and brass screw heads....that would be nice! Also the more metal the better the heat flow out. The "glowing plastic" could just be on the Apple logo and act as a cpu monitor! 8)
  • Reply 31 of 38
    Feeling confident in MacWispers? Oh how wrong they have been. Fortunately, not all are completely wrong, but with educated guessing, you can't be completely wrong ALL the time.

MacWhispers 'confirmed the reality' of the Xserve RAID using S3200 Firewire and not a fibre channel

http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers...ves/000019.php

MacWhispers said new iPods in 45 days, with larger capacities, lower prices, FW800, and new backings

http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers...ves/000004.php

MacWhispers 'goes out on a limb' and predicted (on Jan 29th) new iPods within the next 30 days

http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers...ves/000018.php

Then, MacWhispers made an 'unequivocal prediction of an Apple product release,' the new line of iPods that didn't come out two months ago.

http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers...ves/000032.php

MacWhispers claimed (on Jan 27th) that the 'soon to be released iMacs' update would include frontside ports

http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers...ves/000012.php

MacWhispers claimed from 'multiple' sources that the new 15" iMacs would sport Airport Extreme (they guessed correctly in the rest of the article)

http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers...ves/000009.php

MacWhispers gave (incorrect) display resolution of the 20" Cinema Display, also claiming that it is 20.1"

http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers...ves/000002.php

'From multiple OEM sources' MacWhispers gave 'final specs' on a whole brand new line-up of Cinema Displays to be released in 'no more than 45 days' (Jan 23rd)

http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers...ves/000005.php

MacWhispers' 'timetable' indicates the release of the new 15.4" PowerBook within no more than 30 days (from Jan 21st)

http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers...ves/000003.php

EDIT: Typo
  • Reply 32 of 38
    Now how about a list for MOSR.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

I've been waiting for the "glowing plastics" as well, but I always assumed they would appear in the iMac or eMac consumer arena first, not in a pro machine sitting under a desk.

The patent has been applied already in the illuminated keyboard of the PowerBook 17.

The patent described a method of illuminating plastic using optic fiber, precisely what the 17's keyboard uses. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Barto
  • Reply 34 of 38
    frykefryke Posts: 217member
    You're right.

But.

Can you only apply a patent ONCE? Isn't this patent more about, maybe, several uses? Sure, a PowerMac is maybe not the right place for this kind of illumination, but then again: Some things are cool even if not truly needed. USB delivers enough power for those lights, no? So why not include those ambient lights into all pro Macs (all PowerBooks, all PowerMacs) in 2003?
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by FrostyMMB

Feeling confident in MacWispers? Oh how wrong they have been.

GOOD WORK FROSTY!

There's nothing like a guy who goes out, actually does a bit of homework, and puts things nicely in perspective!

(Kinda puts the whammi on a lot of the speculation flying around tho', but believe it or not, this can actually be a good thing - anybody remember the 1.4, 1.6, 1.8 Ghz G5? Ouch!)
  • Reply 36 of 38
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac OS X Addict

Now how about a list for MOSR.

Well since the all time low of the "Doedechedreon" MOSR have been very circumspect and have in reality posted few scoops. I think if they get info they just don't rush to publish it, but I am not sure they have any real insiders anymore.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

Well since the all time low of the "Doedechedreon" MOSR have been very circumspect and have in reality posted few scoops. I think if they get info they just don't rush to publish it, but I am not sure they have any real insiders anymore.

Oh yeah, the "D'oh dechedreon" - but if I remember correctly, MOSR said "well, we're not sure about this, but this is what we've heard" ...

Still, it sounds like somebody was playing with them.

I guess, if you want to find out where the leaks are coming from, all you have to do is come up with 3 or so very distinct, untrue, yet plausable stories ... distinct enough so that, as the game of 'rumor telephone' gets played out, the stories are unlikely to ever wind up sounding alike:

ie

1 - Glowing cases on new iPods, tell this one to Bob in the warehouse

2 - D'oh dechedreon power macs, tell this one to Doug in supplier management

3 - iTablet with TiVo, tell this one to carol in marketing

Then pay some guy to see which of the three rumors show up on which sites ...

Up comes D'oh dechedreon on MOSR in a week ... at which point you know it's probably somewhere in supplier management that the leak is coming, so you just do the same thing down that branch of the tree ...

It's not terribly hard to do or to understand, it just requires a bit of will and effort on the part of management to put in the effort.

One quick employee firing or lawsuit later, word gets around, poof, there goes your leaks.

I'm sure this kind of game goes on all the time, and not because management particulairly wants to play, but more because - especially in Apple's case - they pretty much have to.

• Reply 38 of 38
    Confirmed my ass. Lock this crap for a very misleading title.