AirDropped nudes nearly cancel Cabo flight

Posted:
in General Discussion
A Southwest Airlines pilot threatened to remove all passengers from a plane scheduled for Cabo after a passenger used the iPhone AirDrop feature to send naked pictures to others.

AirDrop

A viral video posted to TikTok by user @teighmars shows a Southwest Airlines pilot reprimanding an unknown passenger for cyber flashing.

"So here's the deal," the pilot said over the in-flight intercom. "If this continues while we're on the ground, I'm gonna have to pull back to the gate, everybody's gonna have to get off, we're gonna have to get security involved, and this vacation is going to be ruined."

"So, you folks, whatever that AirDrop thing is, quit sending naked pictures, and let's get yourselves to Cabo."

Sending nudes via AirDrop is hardly new. In 2018, New York proposed a bill that would outlaw "cyber flashing," or the act of sending explicit photos to strangers through file sharing technology like Apple's AirDrop.

Apple products are prime candidates for cyber flashing. Unlike other systems, AirDrop presents a preview of incoming photos and video, which users can then accept or decline. But, you still get that preview.

Cyber flashers take advantage of that automated preview feature to present inappropriate material to victims.

AppleInsider has a handy guide that shows you how to use AirDrop. In short, securing AirDrop is simple.

In iOS 15, the AirDrop control panel is under the General settings tab right under Software Update. In that simple panel, you can turn receiving off completely, limit it to contacts only, or allow everyone to AirDrop you whatever they see fit.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,122member
    It would be great if AirDrop included some metadata so the recipient can determine who sent it.  If that flasher knew their AppleID was being sent along with that nude photo, they would certainly think twice before doing it.

People that do this are truly scum.
    Oferlollivertechriderpulseimagesronnmuthuk_vanalingamfred1MplsPPetrolDavekurai_kage
  • Reply 2 of 23
    KC in KCKC in KC Posts: 5unconfirmed, member
    The name of the iPhone that shared the photo is included with the photo preview.
    edited August 2022 OferpulseimagesFileMakerFellerMBearjimdreamworxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 23
    The US is surprisingly obsessed with parts of skin shown. And cup holders in cars. XD
    SpitbathFileMakerFellerMBeariHyforgot usernamewatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 4 of 23
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,155member
    The US is surprisingly obsessed with parts of skin shown. And cup holders in cars. XD
    And guns. Don't forget those.

It's sorta sad that Apple programmers have to take into account for these immature morons.

edited August 2022 pulseimagesFileMakerFellercaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Not sure why Americans are so disgusted with the human body.
    slow n easywatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 6 of 23
    KC in KC said:
    The name of the iPhone that shared the photo is included with the photo preview.
    It might just be called “iPhone”. You can change the name assigned to your phone. A malicious user could rename to “Cabo’s iPhone” or “Pilot iPhone”… then who are the dodgy images coming from then?

Still the same scum bucket, but now they’re muddying things further, which isn’t very helpful. 

Best thing is to set AirDrop to “contacts only” of “off” and only turning it on when needed, solves the problem of unexpected airdroppings from non-housetrained dirty animals. 
    FileMakerFellerPetrolDavekurai_kagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 23
    AND double check your destination so you don’t send stuff to the wrong phone out of haste. 
    FileMakerFelleriHywatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 23
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,023member
    Some people's children.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 23
    In my experience, AirDrop had never worked for me unless it is set to Everyone. Contacts Only has never worked, even for people where I KNOW all the contact info is correct. 

On the other hand, I couldn’t care less if someone attempted to AirDrop nudes to me. At the very least it would make the flight mildly more entertaining. 
    pulseimagesdanoxforgot usernamewatto_cobrabyronljcs2305
  • Reply 10 of 23
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,083member
    And they’re probably pro-creating. Another branch on the evolutionary tree that is going to whither and die. The sooner, the better. 
    edited September 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Part of me thinks the best solution is to let the aircraft flight attendants know the identity of the perpetrator.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Overreacting pilot threatened to spoil vacation for the plane full people. Their flight would have had been delayed, they would have had filled complain and claim for reimbursement. The company would investigate it, withhold the expenses from the pilot salary, he won’t be able to make mortgage payments….

iHywatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 13 of 23
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 4,000member
    The US was founded by the puritans - essentially a group of religious conservatives that got kicked out of Europe. That history continues to this day. 
    danoxwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 14 of 23
    It's truly perplexing. The last time I flew from London to Budapest, I could hardly keep up with all the dick pics that were being AirDropped to me while we waited on the tarmac. Hopefully the US catches up to the rest of the world. 
    crowleyforgot usernamewatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 15 of 23
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    The pilot was completely out of line.  He has no authority to dictate what people can share on their phones.  The "disrupting the flight" excuse is not going to....fly. The pilot threatened to go back to the gate, like he was dealing with children.  Vacation Dad will very likely face consequences from his employer.  
    iHy[Deleted User]watto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Some are.  Most don't want to see someone's unsolicited pictures regardless of the nudity.  I think that is probably the same almost everywhere.  As the sender is likely getting off on sending the pictures they unwittingly make everyone else part of their kink.  Consent is important anywhere.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 23
    sdw2001 said:
    The pilot was completely out of line.  He has no authority to dictate what people can share on their phones.  The "disrupting the flight" excuse is not going to....fly. The pilot threatened to go back to the gate, like he was dealing with children.  Vacation Dad will very likely face consequences from his employer.  
    It is illegal in some places so the pilot does have authority to stop people from doing things that could get the flight cancelled by law enforcement.  People don't have a right to do whatever they want on their phones.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 18 of 23
    MplsP said:
    The US was founded by the puritans - essentially a group of religious conservatives that got kicked out of Europe. That history continues to this day. 
    Ever think that people don't want to see an unsolicited picture may have nothing to do with social mores but everything to do with not wanting to see unsolicited pictures?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 23
    urahara said:
    Overreacting pilot threatened to spoil vacation for the plane full people. Their flight would have had been delayed, they would have had filled complain and claim for reimbursement. The company would investigate it, withhold the expenses from the pilot salary, he won’t be able to make mortgage payments….

Seems like a bunch of people on here are essentially pro non-consensual sexual harassment.   Not a good look people.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 23
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,278member
    sdw2001 said:
    Yes he or she does once you are the plane they are the law.
    blastdoorforgot usernamewatto_cobra