New AirPods Pro coming at iPhone 14 Apple Event

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple will be using its September 7 special event to launch the second generation of AirPods Pro alongside the iPhone 14, a report claims, just days ahead of the event itself.

Apple's special events in September primarily focus on the annual iPhone update, but other products do get launched at around the same time. While AirPods are considered to be a good candidate for a launch during the same event, a report insists that Apple will be bringing out new AirPods Pro this time around.

During the event, AirPods Pro 2 will be unveiled, according to Mark Gurman's "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg on Sunday. Though rumors were fairly strong about a launch sometime in the fall, Gurman insists it will happen during Wednesday's presentation.

Over the months, rumors for the personal audio accessories have put forward claims of a stemless design, some debate over whether there will be some form of built-in fitness tracking, and case changes. There have been suggestions the charging case could include a form of hearing aid functionality, complete with a microphone and a speaker that could help with Find My recovery.

However, it is also entirely plausible that the new AirPods Pro could more closely resemble the first generation in form and function, with internal hardware improvements including changes to the H1 chip and Bluetooth connectivity a possibility.

What is certainly rumored to stay the same is connectivity for charging, with the case thought to continue with Lightning for the moment, but changing to USB-C in 2023.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Why is the change from lightning to USB-C so slow after iPad Pro and MacBook (Pro)?!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    It doesn't really affect me whether or not the charging is via Lightning or USB-C but it definitely needs a longer lasting battery. I will probably have to wait for 3rd party accessories to arrive though. The AirPod Pros will not stay in my ears without attaching 3rd party ear hooks. They have the kind that go over the ear like the PowerBeats Pro but I have the kind that just tuck inside one of the folds of the outer ear. They are very comfortable and my AirPod Pros have never fallen off no matter what I do or for how long with the ear hooks in place. The cost is $14.99 for three pairs so I think it's pretty reasonable. But I do wish that Apple made AirPods that don't fall out. This is a case where Apple does not live up to the mantra of "It Just Works" in my opinion. 
    williamlondongrandact73
  • Reply 3 of 10
    How do you improve a diamond?

incrementally.
    lolliverjahbladewatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    It doesn't really affect me whether or not the charging is via Lightning or USB-C but it definitely needs a longer lasting battery. I will probably have to wait for 3rd party accessories to arrive though. The AirPod Pros will not stay in my ears without attaching 3rd party ear hooks. They have the kind that go over the ear like the PowerBeats Pro but I have the kind that just tuck inside one of the folds of the outer ear. They are very comfortable and my AirPod Pros have never fallen off no matter what I do or for how long with the ear hooks in place. The cost is $14.99 for three pairs so I think it's pretty reasonable. But I do wish that Apple made AirPods that don't fall out. This is a case where Apple does not live up to the mantra of "It Just Works" in my opinion. 
    Early rumors suggested the new Pros could be released in 2 different sizes in order to address this. That particular rumor has since faded away, but I remain hopeful that it’s still true. I’m even more hopeful that they use the Beats Fit Pro as the inspiration for any possible redesign, because those things do not budge at all after I put them in. 
    edited September 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    I"m with you. Apple has yet to make anything that will stay in my ears. I also used the aftermarket hooks for my AirPod Pro, and they work well to keep them in my ear--problem is, you have to take them off every time you put the AirPods back in the charging case and that gets old pretty quickly, so I rarely use my AirPods Pro any longer. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 10
    For me all Apple earphones wouldn’t stay in my ears except AirPods Pro. Hard job to please all the people…
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Why is the change from lightning to USB-C so slow after iPad Pro and MacBook (Pro)?!
    Mostly because there is absolutely no reason to push USB-C into products that don't need it. At all. And for which USB-C gives absolutely no advantages, and a lot of disadvantages.

AirPods Pro is such a product. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    My guess is that this is mostly a business decision based on how the products are being used but there could be other factors.

Apple knows how AirPods and AirPods Pro are being used, most frequently paired with an iPhone. Apple knows it will change over to USB-C, they just need to pick a time to do it. If the iPhone is being charged with a Lightning cable, it makes the most sense to have the AirPods charging case use the same connector since one cable can be used on both.

Undoubtedly prototype iPhones and AirPod charging cases using USB-C have been in their labs for several years. If it comes this fall, it's not like they made the decision to switch ports this summer.

Note that the two connectors -- Lightning and USB-C -- are physically different, not just in size. For Lightning connectors, the exposed male connector is on the cable (inexpensive to replace), the female part of the connector is in the device.

For USB-C connectors, the opposite.

This means that damage/failure of the male connector (more likely) is more expensive to repair in USB-C devices. There may be higher risk of debris (in one both sides, male and female) interfering with proper connection due to smaller physical clearances. It might work great sitting on a workbench in a lab, but real world usage is different, like shoving your phone into lint-filled pocket.

And don't forget there might be additional challenges in developing reliable water resistance in USB-C device ports.

If a currently marketed device has a certain degree of physical resistance, it's not likely that Apple will want to revert to a level that provides less resistance, like going from IP67 to IP65.
    edited September 2022 caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    charlesn said:
    I"m with you. Apple has yet to make anything that will stay in my ears. I also used the aftermarket hooks for my AirPod Pro, and they work well to keep them in my ear--problem is, you have to take them off every time you put the AirPods back in the charging case and that gets old pretty quickly, so I rarely use my AirPods Pro any longer. 
    Yeah, it’s kind of a hassle. I have to remove the ear hooks and put them in a protective cover after every use and then put them back on the next time. I also tend to run out of battery too quick. I have better luck with the Shure Bluetooth ear phones using the triple flange tips. And the battery lasts over eight hours and has significantly better noise reduction because they are exactly the same as ear plugs. The only problem is that they are extremely expensive. Maybe when my battery is totally wasted I’ll try the Beats ProFit. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    The hooks drive me nuts between glasses and masks. I’ve actually been using these foam rubber things that attach in place of the silicone things and I’m able to put them in the case without removing them from the AirPods. Don’t remember what they’re called but the are offered in multiple sizes/colors. They’re on Amazon. 
    watto_cobra