Apple Watch Ultra debuts as a giant & rugged titanium model

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited September 2022
After furious rumors and leaks over the last week, Apple has launched the new Apple Watch Ultra, a supersized and rugged version focused on extreme activities.

Apple Watch Ultra is made for the most extreme conditions
Apple Watch Ultra is made for the most extreme conditions

The Apple Watch Ultra departs from what is offered by the Apple Watch Series 8 in a number of areas. The larger 49mm display, sapphire glass, aerospace titanium, and bright orange Action Button set this device apart.

Everything about the Apple Watch Ultra was built with advanced sensors and equipment to help users in many extreme conditions. For example, there's an additional GPS L5 GPS module for improved triangulation, even where the standard L1 GPS usually fails.

The WR100 rating lets users dive to 100 meters below the surface. When diving, the Apple Watch will begin displaying the depth on the watch face.

Another change is to the side, as the Digital Crown and side button are now placed on a small extended section on one edge. The Digital Crown is slightly sunk into this section, partly to add more protection.

The Action Button is international orange and can be pressed to activate special functions in certain conditions. It can be customized to launch certain apps or functions with a single press.

Users can get up to 36 hours of battery life on a single charge. The new low-power mode extends this battery life to 60 hours.

View critical data on third-party apps via the bright and large display, even when deep underwater
View critical data on third-party apps via the bright and large display, even when deep underwater

On the inside, the Apple Watch Ultra uses the new S8 chip. It also has access to the same sensors as the Apple Watch Series 8, like the new temperature sensor.

"Inspired by explorers and athletes from around the world, we created an entirely new category of Apple Watch designed for new and extreme environments -- it's the most rugged and capable Apple Watch yet," said Jeff Williams, Apple's chief operating officer. "Apple Watch Ultra is a versatile tool that empowers users to push their boundaries with adventure, endurance, and exploration."

There are three new bands for the Apple Watch Ultra -- Trail Loop, Alpine Loop, and Ocean Band. They are custom-made with different extreme activities in mind.

Trail Loop, Alpine Loop, and Ocean Band
Trail Loop, Alpine Loop, and Ocean Band

Pre-orders begin later Wednesday, and devices ship on September 23. All Apple Watch Ultra models are $799.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    This new rugged model isn't designed for me, but man all the new stuff looks sweet -- jumbo screen, the new SCUBA computer app, waypoint tracking, 36-hour battery, and upcoming 60-hour battery mode.
    edited September 2022 williamlondonthtrezwitsappleinsideruserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 47
    omasouomasou Posts: 572member
    With everyone saying the new watch would cost $999. I now feel like it's a bargain :D  at $799 especially since it is Ti and includes cellular. Though I would have have preferred a WiFi option b/c i am mostly interested in the size, but I'm not in the primary user group. ;)
    edited September 2022 waveparticlethtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 47
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    At $799, this is a “hell yes” purchase for me. 
    StrangeDayscaladanianrezwitswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 47
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    Nice... but is it still useless if a drop of water gets on the display? Using my Apple Watch in the pool, or running and sweat gets on it, renders it unusable.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 47
    This new rugged model isn't designed for me, but man all the new stuff looks sweet -- jumbo screen, the new SCUBA computer app, waypoint tracking, 36-hour battery, and upcoming 60-hour battery mode.
    I agree.  This is awesome and well priced at $799
    caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 47
    Apple:  OMG It’s totally brand new!!
    Shows same product with new price. It can go under water….deeper.  

Anyone else find it creepy that they keep shooting these videos on a massive beautiful campus….. that has no active employees using any background facilities?  👻
    dewmewilliamlondonCheeseFreezeflyingdp
  • Reply 7 of 47
    Apple may call it Ultra but it’s by no mean a Pro watch. There’s still a world of difference between what the Apple Watch is able to do to support more extreme sports and activities and a true Pro watch such as a Garmin Fénix 7 or even an Amazfit T-Rex 2. And I’m saying this as a very, very long and passionate Apple user that already owned two Apple watches. The “Ultra” industrial design is only slightly better than the original design in dealing with impacts but it’s still far from the robustness that you need with a Pro watch. Sturdiness is not only about the materials used but also about the form. Battery life is another detail that is so far from what you can currently get on a Garmin or Amazfit top of the line watches (which can last for at least two weeks).
    williamlondonlkruppgatorguy
  • Reply 8 of 47
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    tyler82 said:
    Nice... but is it still useless if a drop of water gets on the display? Using my Apple Watch in the pool, or running and sweat gets on it, renders it unusable.
    …the hell you talking about?
    williamlondonStrangeDaysrezwitsmike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 47
    tyler82 said:
    Sounds like you've got a defective watch.  Mine works just fine in the pool... in the hot-tub... with sweat on it... completely underwater, or with just a drop or two on the face... doesn't seem to matter ever.

williamlondonStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 47
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    tyler82 said:
    Are you using Series 1? Or was this your attempt at sarcasm? 
    williamlondonCluntBaby92StrangeDaysrezwitswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 47
    I just want to know if I can use my current watch band with it...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 47
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    Way more features than I would ever use. I want one.
    caladanianwilliamlondonthtCluntBaby92StrangeDaysrezwitstdknoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 47
    Wcitizen said:
    Apple may call it Ultra but it’s by no mean a Pro watch. There’s still a world of difference between what the Apple Watch is able to do to support more extreme sports and activities and a true Pro watch such as a Garmin Fénix 7 or even an Amazfit T-Rex 2. And I’m saying this as a very, very long and passionate Apple user that already owned two Apple watches. The “Ultra” industrial design is only slightly better than the original design in dealing with impacts but it’s still far from the robustness that you need with a Pro watch. Sturdiness is not only about the materials used but also about the form. Battery life is another detail that is so far from what you can currently get on a Garmin or Amazfit top of the line watches (which can last for at least two weeks).
    I realize that there are still extreme applications that the Apple Watch Ultra might not be applicable for. The T-Rex 2 is a far more cost effective solution ($299) and since it's not really a proper smart watch, it can last a lot longer. A more apt comparison would be the Garmin watch. That costs $699 and has a host of extreme sports features, some that the Apple Watch Ultra can do, some of which are still exclusive to that device. And the Garmin can do limited recharge via solar cells in the design, a useful feature.

But for me, the biggest "Holy Crap" moment was that they went ahead and built a proper dive computer watch. As someone who has been scuba diving for 25 years and my wife and teenage daughter also dive, this is a game changer. I've been looking to buy a new dive computer to replace one I've been carrying for two decades. I think I finally have the one I want. But there are some questions I have. Will it account for Nitrox or Tri-ox diving? Can you attach a radio control to determine the amount of air in your tanks (some of the better dive computers have this)? And I'm sure some more frequent dive masters and instructors will have more questions. I just got a Series 7 a year ago, so my watch isn't old. But one with a dive computer may be too good to pass up, especially since that's the amount of money I was looking to spend anyway.
    StrangeDaysrezwitsappleinsiderusertdknoxmbenz1962watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 47
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I ordered the Ultra watch, but already it’s at October 20th earliest. I had some odd problem with Apple Pay, which wanted to buy it with Apple Cash, which I don’t have since I buy with my Amex card, which wasn’t enabled oddly. I had to go and fill in the security code. But it still did t recognize it, so I had to buy it without Apple Pay directly through the Amex card, which Apple does have on file. That wasted several minutes. Darn! When I first tried to order it was early October. I lost almost two weeks because of that snafu.

I really could have used the when I was scuba diving. My Omega was nice for the time, but it did t tell you much.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 47
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    JinTech said:
    tyler82 said:
    Are you using Series 1? Or was this your attempt at sarcasm? 
    Series 4.

Ending a pool swim is all but impossible. I can get the water to eject, but can't tap "End workout" because... watch is wet? I have to wait to get out of pool and dry it off. By that time maybe 30 seconds to a minute at least has passed, so my swim workouts are never accurate.

And this thing is geared toward extreme workouts, so hopefully it can handle some water, or snow, on the watch face without it being unusable.
    edited September 2022 williamlondontdknoxflyingdp
  • Reply 16 of 47
    tyler82 said:
    You must have damaged your watch. That’s not normal. I get mine in the water all the time. That’s how I clean it. Under warm water with some liquid hand wash.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 47
    sevenfeet said:
    Wcitizen said:
    I realize that there are still extreme applications that the Apple Watch Ultra might not be applicable for. The T-Rex 2 is a far more cost effective solution ($299) and since it's not really a proper smart watch, it can last a lot longer. A more apt comparison would be the Garmin watch. That costs $699 and has a host of extreme sports features, some that the Apple Watch Ultra can do, some of which are still exclusive to that device. And the Garmin can do limited recharge via solar cells in the design, a useful feature.

But for me, the biggest "Holy Crap" moment was that they went ahead and built a proper dive computer watch. As someone who has been scuba diving for 25 years and my wife and teenage daughter also dive, this is a game changer. I've been looking to buy a new dive computer to replace one I've been carrying for two decades. I think I finally have the one I want. But there are some questions I have. Will it account for Nitrox or Tri-ox diving? Can you attach a radio control to determine the amount of air in your tanks (some of the better dive computers have this)? And I'm sure some more frequent dive masters and instructors will have more questions. I just got a Series 7 a year ago, so my watch isn't old. But one with a dive computer may be too good to pass up, especially since that's the amount of money I was looking to spend anyway.
    This is going to be more competitive to the higher Garmin. They go to $1,000, and are the most popular smartwatch/fitness device over $500. Since most divers don’t use Nitrox or Tri-ox, I don’t think Apple is thinking about that. I haven’t dived for years, but this should serve for most divers.
    appleinsideruserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 47
    Ok, we now have an $800 Apple Watch, can we please start talking about being able to have a watch as the primary cellular device (as in not tied to a phone plan). We're inching ever so much closer with things like family setup, but still not quite there.
    MrBunsidewatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 47
    Wcitizen said:
    "There’s still a world of difference between what the Apple Watch is able to do to support more extreme sports and activities and a true Pro watch such as a Garmin Fénix 7 or even an Amazfit T-Rex 2." YOU'RE SO RIGHT--A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE. THE ULTRA PUTS ALMOST THE FULL CAPABILITIES OF AN IPHONE ON YOUR WRIST AND THE FENIX 7 CAN, UMMM, PLAY MUSIC. AS FAR AS APPS SUPPORTING EXTREME SPORTS, GARMIN MAY HAVE THE LEAD FOR NOW AS IT SHOULD AFTER YEARS IN THE BUSINESS, BUT APPLE IS JUST GETTING STARTED AND WILL CONTINUE TO ROLL OUT MORE FOR THE ULTRA. 

"The “Ultra” industrial design is only slightly better than the original design in dealing with impacts but it’s still far from the robustness that you need with a Pro watch." AND THIS IS BASED ON THE VAST EXPERIENCE YOU HAVE WITH THE ULTRA FROM WATCHING THE APPLE LIVESTREAM.

"Sturdiness is not only about the materials used but also about the form." OH YES... THE FENIX 7'S TOUCHSCREEN MUST BE FAR MORE DURABLE AND ABUSABLE THAN THE ULTRA'S SLAB OF SAPPHIRE CRYSTAL. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 47
    melgross said:
    I ordered the Ultra watch, but already it’s at October 20th earliest. I had some odd problem with Apple Pay, which wanted to buy it with Apple Cash, which I don’t have since I buy with my Amex card, which wasn’t enabled oddly. I had to go and fill in the security code. But it still did t recognize it, so I had to buy it without Apple Pay directly through the Amex card, which Apple does have on file. That wasted several minutes. Darn! When I first tried to order it was early October. I lost almost two weeks because of that snafu.

I really could have used the when I was scuba diving. My Omega was nice for the time, but it did t tell you much.
    I was refreshing Apple.com as soon as the event ended and order the Ultra as well.  Took about 2 minutes and was given the Oct. 20th date as well.
    watto_cobra