Apple UK closing stores to mark Queen's funeral

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2022
All Apple Stores in the UK will operate at reduced capacity at the start of Her Majesty the Queen's lying in state, then close entirely on her funeral day, September 19.

Apple paid tribute internationally to the late Queen Elizabeth II by making over its homepage in her honor. That new homepage continues to be in place in the UK, but has since reverted to Apple's regular design everywhere else.

Now stores in the country are also to pay respects by changing their opening hours and operations. The most significant is that all stores will be closed on Monday, September 19, 2022, which is the day of the Queen's funeral.

According to MacRumors, there will also be a reduced operating capacity on Wednesday, September 14. This information was reportedly given to staff, and the full closure follows the UK's making Monday a public holiday.

At present, all Apple Stores have published their opening hours up to September 18, 2022, the day before the Queen's funeral, so the closures are not yet listed.

Nor is any change to store operations on Wednesday, September 14. However, the official sites for UK stores all show "special opening hours" for Friday, September 16.

As yet, the actual hours of business being shown for that day in stores including the new Apple Brompton Road, are the same as ever. But Apple notes that, "some services, such as Genius Bar, may not be available."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Retail staff lose hours and income at a time when finances are being stretched, all because an old woman died of natural causes.  Fantastic.
    Ofer
  • Reply 2 of 18
    crowley said:
    Retail staff lose hours and income at a time when finances are being stretched, all because an old woman died of natural causes.  Fantastic.
    Where did it say that staff wouldn't be paid for the time off?
    mpantonewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 18
    crowley said:
    It doesn’t say they will and there’s little reason to suppose that they would be.
    fred1
  • Reply 4 of 18
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    It doesn’t say they will and there’s little reason to suppose that they would be.
    I robot know you  from your posts here but is seems somewhat out of character to just make things up. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 18
    This is a legally approved Bank holiday. Lots and lots of retailers (inc Harrods, Aldi and many more) are following suit and closing for the day. Holidays like this are generally included in your pay. Those with zero hour contracts may not receive any renumeration.
    elijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 18
    This is a legally approved Bank holiday. Lots and lots of retailers (inc Harrods, Aldi and many more) are following suit and closing for the day. Holidays like this are generally included in your pay. Those with zero hour contracts may not receive any renumeration.
    Bank holidays being included in your pay very much depends on your employment contract.  And Apple's reduced operations from Wednesday are outside of that anyway.

Shift employees who are paid by the hour are unlikely to be paid for their mandatory time off unless they are able to take it as holiday, which they may not want to do.
    Ofer
  • Reply 7 of 18
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    I robot know you  from your posts here but is seems somewhat out of character to just make things up. 
    So many shops are closed right now, you seriously expect that all those staff are being paid?  No chance.

Even if Apple are paying their staff they're contributing to a grief indulgence environment where many other employers will not be paying their workers.  This is not something we need right now, there is no justification for it.

https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/queen-elizabeth-death-king-charles-2022-09-12/card/queen-s-funeral-could-dent-the-u-k-economy-cTGzylqqh4knX0geVXOj
    edited September 2022 Ofer
  • Reply 8 of 18

The odds of any company closing for that day and not paying their staff is very low, as the bad publicity would hurt them.

We will soon know if that happens as the media will be eager to publish this sort of story.

If anybody here knows of any particular company that does not pay their staff for that day please post it.

elijahg
  • Reply 9 of 18
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    So many shops are closed right now, you seriously expect that all those staff are being paid?  No chance.

Even if Apple are paying their staff they're contributing to a grief indulgence environment where many other employers will not be paying their workers.  This is not something we need right now, there is no justification for it.

https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/queen-elizabeth-death-king-charles-2022-09-12/card/queen-s-funeral-could-dent-the-u-k-economy-cTGzylqqh4knX0geVXOj
    "When you wake up to the fact that you paper is Tory
    Just remember, there are two sides to every story"
    - Billy Bragg

Keep moving those goal posts. 
    edited September 2022 elijahg
  • Reply 10 of 18
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:

What are you talking about goal posts?  There are no goal posts.  The UK is significantly closed down because of one death.  It's ridiculous.
  • Reply 11 of 18
  • Reply 12 of 18
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:

Crowley apparently despises the Queen for some reason, and is apparently pissed off that others don't, and therefore is annoyed by shops closing as a mark of respect. It's one day in the 70 year reign of a monarch. He really needs to get over his own sense of self-importance.
    watto_cobrarotateleftbyte
  • Reply 13 of 18
    elijahg said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:

Crowley apparently despises the Queen for some reason, and is apparently pissed off that others don't, and therefore is annoyed by shops closing as a mark of respect. It's one day in the 70 year reign of a monarch. He really needs to get over his own sense of self-importance.
    Lol at my own sense of importance.  Nothing will shut down when I die and get buried, and I'm very happy for that to be so.  I don't despise the queen, I don't care about her at all, but the entire country is bending over backwards to try and persuade me that they care (most don't, it's just for show) and persuade me that I should care (for no real reason).

It's not one day, shops are closed now.  Shops will be closed through to the funeral.  A whole week of indulgent national grief signalling.  It's pathetic.

I never thought of myself as much of a republican, but this sickening debacle has tipped me over.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 18
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:

What are you talking about goal posts?  There are no goal posts.  The UK is significantly closed down because of one death.  It's ridiculous.
    Your first comment said Apple wasn’t playing its employees for the day off. When it was pointed out that you made up that claim. So then you tried to put blame on Apple for other businesses shutting down and causing significant damage to the economy. That’s a bit of goal post moving. And, to use your word, it’s ridiculous. 

I suspect there is something else you are actually upset about but won’t actually say it.  Perhaps is is the monarchy in general? I don’t know, whatever it is, it is obfuscated by your displacement behavior. 

Edit: 
    I read the thread past the comment I responded to and as I mentioned your issue has nothing to do width Apple whatsoever. As an outsider I find the whole thing odd. I think having a family cosplay royalty is goofy but every February in the U.S. we consult a rodent about the weather. So, we have our fair share of odd. I read a posting by Billy Bragg (no fan of the Queen) and he talked about mourning in this situation and it totally makes sense as he isn’t mourning the loss of a person. 

Anyway, I think reasonable people can have different views and discuss the situation. That something adults should be able to do.  Unfortunately you opted to go with a tantrum instead. Good luck with that. 
    edited September 2022 elijahg
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Your first comment said Apple wasn’t playing its employees for the day off. 

No it didn't.  It said retail workers were losing hours and income.  This isn't about one day if you read the story.  For Apple it's half a week of reduced working capacity, and then a bank holiday.  Other stores have been totally closed down for all this week.   Do you seriously think they'll be paying the workers who are coming in and also paying the workers who aren't?  And when businesses don't require staff for bank holidays that is normally taken out of annual leave allowance for retail workers.  Either way the workers lose something. 
    So then you tried to put blame on Apple for other businesses shutting down and causing significant damage to the economy. That’s a bit of goal post moving. And, to use your word, it’s ridiculous. 

I was always talking about retail workers in general, with reference to Apple, but not exclusive to Apple.  I expandaed the range of what I was talkming about, but didn't change my original point.  Hence the 'goal posts' are in exactly the same place.  But again, there are no goal posts here, I'm not in competition with you or Apple.  I don't know why you think we're playing a game instead of having a conversation.
    I suspect there is something else you are actually upset about but won’t actually say it.  Perhaps is is the monarchy in general? I don’t know, whatever it is, it is obfuscated by your displacement behavior..
    I've been pretty clear what I'm upset about, and it's the fact that the country is in the grip of a collective insanity over the death of an elderly woman of natural causes.  This is being compounded by grief signalling from the media and unrelated companies who are feeding this overbearing requirement to mourn.  The country is shutting itself down at a time of economic hardship, which is only going to hit the poorest in society.  Perhaps a fitting tribute for one of the most privileged individuals who has ever lived?

All that is annoying enough on its own, but it has a very sinister side, as republicans are being arrested for going against the grain, even when its only stating their views: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/11/republican-protesters-arrested-king-charles-proclamation-events
    I read the thread past the comment I responded to and as I mentioned your issue has nothing to do width Apple whatsoever. As an outsider I find the whole thing odd. I think having a family cosplay royalty is goofy but every February in the U.S. we consult a rodent about the weather. So, we have our fair share of odd. I read a posting by Billy Bragg (no fan of the Queen) and he talked about mourning in this situation and it totally makes sense as he isn’t mourning the loss of a person. 
    I read a piece by Billy Bragg, I assume it was the same one.  It was kind and empathetic towards a certain kind of mourning of the passing of a generation, but he's wrong if he thinks that's what the country is in the grip of.  The vast majority of what is happening is pageantry towards the monarchy, an extension of the Jubilee earlier this year that was equally deferential and grovelling to an outdated institution.
    Anyway, I think reasonable people can have different views and discuss the situation. That something adults should be able to do.  Unfortunately you opted to go with a tantrum instead. Good luck with that. 
    A tantrum?  I'm just talking here.  Either talk with me or leave me alone, thanks.  If you insist on condescension then know that I can take it and hit back a lot harder.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    crowley said:
    Your first comment said Apple wasn’t playing its employees for the day off. 

No it didn't.  It said retail workers were losing hours and income.  This isn't about one day if you read the story.  For Apple it's half a week of reduced working capacity, and then a bank holiday.  Other stores have been totally closed down for all this week.   Do you seriously think they'll be paying the workers who are coming in and also paying the workers who aren't?  And when businesses don't require staff for bank holidays that is normally taken out of annual leave allowance for retail workers.  Either way the workers lose something. 
    So then you tried to put blame on Apple for other businesses shutting down and causing significant damage to the economy. That’s a bit of goal post moving. And, to use your word, it’s ridiculous. 

I was always talking about retail workers in general, with reference to Apple, but not exclusive to Apple.  I expandaed the range of what I was talkming about, but didn't change my original point.  Hence the 'goal posts' are in exactly the same place.  But again, there are no goal posts here, I'm not in competition with you or Apple.  I don't know why you think we're playing a game instead of having a conversation.
    I suspect there is something else you are actually upset about but won’t actually say it.  Perhaps is is the monarchy in general? I don’t know, whatever it is, it is obfuscated by your displacement behavior..
    I've been pretty clear what I'm upset about, and it's the fact that the country is in the grip of a collective insanity over the death of an elderly woman of natural causes.  This is being compounded by grief signalling from the media and unrelated companies who are feeding this overbearing requirement to mourn.  The country is shutting itself down at a time of economic hardship, which is only going to hit the poorest in society.  Perhaps a fitting tribute for one of the most privileged individuals who has ever lived?

All that is annoying enough on its own, but it has a very sinister side, as republicans are being arrested for going against the grain, even when its only stating their views: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/11/republican-protesters-arrested-king-charles-proclamation-events
    I read a piece by Billy Bragg, I assume it was the same one.  It was kind and empathetic towards a certain kind of mourning of the passing of a generation, but he's wrong if he thinks that's what the country is in the grip of.  The vast majority of what is happening is pageantry towards the monarchy, an extension of the Jubilee earlier this year that was equally deferential and grovelling to an outdated institution.
    A tantrum?  I'm just talking here.  Either talk with me or leave me alone, thanks.  If you insist on condescension then know that I can take it and hit back a lot harder.
    Your first comment suggested that Apple was not going to pay people for the store closing. I questioned that because it wasn’t stated in the article. Your response was to double down on that claim without any evidence. You then used that as a jumping off point to talk about the country as a whole.

You seem to think your general frustration with the situation is a pass for making claims that aren’t true. As I pointed before I normally find your comments here to be thoughtful and informative. It is a striking change in disposition. The way you approached this subject, making up things to complain about, and your attempts to spin your original comments into
    something new are an impediment to being taken seriously at this point. That said we all have our moments where out frustration gets the better of us. I get it. I’m going to exit this conversation as it is entirely unproductive. 
    elijahg
  • Reply 17 of 18
    I don't think I've made a single claim that isn't plainly true.  Retail locations are closing, and staff will be losing hours and income.  Absolute fact.  You've inferred some things about Apple that may not be true, but I'm not responsible for that.

I just noticed that you edited a Billy Bragg quotes into one of your earlier posts:
    "When you wake up to the fact that you paper is Tory 
    Just remember, there are two sides to every story"
    - Billy Bragg
    The Tory Party are the biggest supporters of the monarchy.  Their earlier incarnation, the Cavaliers, aka the Royalists, famously fought a civil war against democracy over that support before.  This all comes at a very convenient time for the Tories when a disgraced Tory Prime Minister is being replaced with an unpopular Tory Prime Minister* whose agenda openly patronises the rich over the poor, and has been widely panned in the press.  A week of blanket coverage of Elizabeth Windsor's funeral serves them very well as a smokescreen.

Very laughable position to imply that mine is a Tory view.

* somewhat amusingly, an unpopular Tory Prime Minister who was once a member of a different party and said that the existence of the monarchy was "disgraceful".  Actual quote.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    crowley said:

* somewhat amusingly, an unpopular Tory Prime Minister who was once a member of a different party and said that the existence of the monarchy was "disgraceful".  Actual quote.
    My views (both political and towards the monarchy) now are very different from what they were when I was a student. Back then being a hard left (marxist-lennists, maoist, trotskyist and the rest) activist was all the rage. We all change so I don't hold our current PM's views from back then against her. I'm more interested in her vision (or lack of it) for the future.
    elijahg