Apple releases AirPods Pro 2 first-day firmware update

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2022
AirPods Pro 2 are the latest new Apple product to get a day-one firmware update, though Apple hasn't yet specified what the update addresses.

AirPods Pro 2 need a day-one update
AirPods Pro 2 need a day-one update

Apple doesn't provide details for accessory firmware updates like ones released for AirPods. The update likely addresses minor software issues or other bugs that affect performance.

The firmware release is 5A377, up from the shipping 5A374 version, and applies to the AirPods Pro 2 only. Previous models will not receive the update.

There is no official method to manually update the firmware of AirPods. It installs automatically without any user input. This occurs when your AirPods are connected to an iOS device and are stored in the charging case with sufficient power.

Apple previously updated all other AirPods models to firmware version 4E71 in May 2022.

How to check your AirPods firmware version

AirPods users can check the current firmware for their audio accessories within the Settings app.

1. Open the Settings App

2. Select General

3. Select About

4. Select the AirPods you wish to view

5. A menu will appear showing relevant device information

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Damn haven’t even received my delivery yet and I already have to update it. Cmon apple 🍎 what’s going on
    grandact73
  • Reply 2 of 10
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Received these moments ago and an alert popped up that an update to iOS 16 was required for full functionality to be enabled. My iPhone Xs Max is telling me that with iOS 15.7 I am up to date. Interested in experiences others have had of 16.
    edited September 2022 jC26
  • Reply 3 of 10
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member
    iqatedo said:
    Received these moments ago and an alert popped up that an update to iOS 16 was required for full functionality to be enabled. My iPhone Xs Max is telling me that with iOS 15.7 I am up to date. Interested in experiences others have had of 16.
    Look further down on the Software Update page and you will see iOS 16 offered as an upgrade. Apple no longer assumes you want to upgrade from iOS 15 to iOS 16 and will keep you up to date on the latest iOS 15 version by default. You have to choose iOS 16.
    iqatedo
  • Reply 4 of 10
    teflondon said:
    Damn haven’t even received my delivery yet and I already have to update it. Cmon apple 🍎 what’s going on
    First world problems.
    StrangeDayscaladanian
  • Reply 5 of 10
    teflondon said:
    Whah.  The horror.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 10
    I like how Settings now has a dynamic menu item for the currently-paired AirPods. Useful.

Just got my APP2, only issue I’m having is not being able to trigger the U1-powered search mode or case speaker chime. Find My is just doing normal driving directors to them or playing bud-chimes. 
    edited September 2022
  • Reply 7 of 10
    More proof that Apple is going down!

Drowning in a sea of cash!

-heh.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    dewme said:
    iqatedo said:
    Look further down on the Software Update page and you will see iOS 16 offered as an upgrade. Apple no longer assumes you want to upgrade from iOS 15 to iOS 16 and will keep you up to date on the latest iOS 15 version by default. You have to choose iOS 16.
    Thank you. Yes, I saw that. Didn't realise that Apple wasn't bringing 16 up as an upgrade suggestion and thought all of the discussion surrounding it was for a public beta. 
  • Reply 9 of 10
    dewme said:
    iqatedo said:
    iOS 16 - check
    Ear mapping - check
    Spatial audio - check
    Music - on

First impressions of my first Apple in-ear device - sound, noise cancelling, connectivity and especially as someone with diminished (age related) hearing deficiency - Noise Control Transparency - fantastic.

dewme
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Can't reply to my own message... But wanted to add -- I can now use the Find My to find my APP2 case and play sounds on it (loud!). Perhaps the firmware update fixed it, dunno.