Apple's Touch ID is probably never coming back to iPhone

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member
    When will Apple solve the biggest security breach that anyone can unlock your iPhone simply by calling it? 
    An iPhone can’t be unlocked by “simply calling it.”
    fastasleep
  • Reply 22 of 28
    ayooayoo Posts: 13member
    tundraboy said:
    hmlongco said:
    tundraboy said:
    With face masks going out of style, the impetus to revive Touch ID has diminished.
    Out of "style". Yeah. That's exactly how I would have characterized the need for them...
    Grab a dictionary, look up the word "irony".
    Now you visit an online version of a dictionary and figure out how to properly use irony.  And once you do that quickly jump over to ‘sarcasm’ and figure out how you missed the mark there too. 
    FileMakerFellerfastasleep
  • Reply 23 of 28
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Not crazy about the on button fingerprint sensor on my iPad Air. Works okay with no cover, but Apple’s magnetic cover having both a front and back cover makes seating the finger difficult. Waiting for face reader. 
    Exactly,
    I have both the current iPad Pro with Face ID and Mac Mini with the button fingerprint ID. 
    Face ID wins hands down - literally.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    I had an iPhone 6 and avoided buying a new iPhone as the 6 was dying because I was waiting for Apple to restore Touch, as rumored. But apps important to me would no longer work on the last iOS that was available for the 6 and a year ago I bought the 13. 

I wanted Touch especially for use in the car, so that I didn’t have to look at the phone while driving.  But I was completely wrong. FaceID works perfectly well.  There’s no reason to bring it back.   
  • Reply 25 of 28
    flydog said:
    When will Apple solve the biggest security breach that anyone can unlock your iPhone simply by calling it? 
    Yes it can. There’s nothing stopping someone from answering the phone via sliding thus unlocking it. That’s how my friend’s psycho ex-girlfriend got into his iPhone. 
  • Reply 26 of 28
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    flydog said:
    Yes it can. There’s nothing stopping someone from answering the phone via sliding thus unlocking it. That’s how my friend’s psycho ex-girlfriend got into his iPhone. 
    Answering a call does not unlock it. That'd be the dumbest security fail ever, if that were true (it isn't).
  • Reply 27 of 28
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    Touch ID would be nice to have back, but not a deal breaker. I still hate that I have to be staring at the phone to unlock it or authorize a payment. Even after turning the attention (open eye detection) feature off, it’s still a pain sometimes. 

That said, I’m not sure if adding back Touch ID would be worth the added complexity that comes with it. 

But ffs Apple, either way, please stop putting notches in the laptops and iPads. 
    No iPad has a notch. And, I'll take the extra screen real estate on my MacBook Pro. You can just disable the menubar area if you hate it so much, reducing your screen area but ridding yourself of that terrible notch which ruined your life.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    Unfortunate as Touch ID is way easier to use and Androids have standardized under screen sensors, and it seems really redundant given they are putting Touch ID in iPads now as if that's not a more practical option on iPhones.