Apple's AirPods and Mac accessories could gain USB-C by 2024

Posted:
in iPhone
The gradual shift of Apple's products to USB-C instead of Lightning could see a switch of connector on Mac accessories and all AirPods models by 2024, a report claims.

A USB-C cable.
A USB-C cable.

As a connector, USB-C is growing in ubiquity, with it becoming more commonly used on devices instead of microUSB. While there's talk of Apple making the shift for its iPhones down the road, its possible that other hardware in Apple's product catalog could make the jump at around the same time.

In Sunday's "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg, Mark Gurman predicts that Apple could beat legislation introduced by the European Parliament to use USB-C by 2024. Along with flagship products like the iPhone 15 doing so early in 2023, Gurman believes that most of the rest of the catalog could shift over in time.

AirPods charging cases and other accessories designed for Macs could adopt USB-C by 2024, covering accessories like the Magic Mouse, Magic Keyboard, and Magic Trackpad. For the latter, Gurman anticipates new versions will be released that will incorporate the changes.

For the remaining products, the entry-level iPad that still uses Lightning is thought to be updated soon, with a possible switch over by the end of 2022.

Gurman also reasons that Lightning could stick around for quite a while after the legislative deadline, since it applies to new releases. As an example, an iPhone SE refresh in March 2024 could use Lightning, but a later 2025 or 2026 update would have to use USB-C.

The report also proposes that USB-C may not necessarily be around for as long as Apple's other connectors. Gurman reckons USB-C's existence in the Apple product catalog won't be as long as the 30-pin iPod connector or Lightning.

"Apple's future is wireless," Gurman states, before insisting a form of AirPower will return "well before a decade from now."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Wireless charging isn’t that good for the battery - it generates more heat. A wireless charger uses more power to completely charge a smartphone than a cable does.
    So if they choose to remove a connector altogether, it only further validated their “sustainability” is just another marketing move.
    williamlondonappleinsideruserFileMakerFellermuthuk_vanalingamgrandact73
  • Reply 2 of 12
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    The EU will be blamed by many but I have a feeling that Apple has been intending to make the switch itself for some years anyway. 
    crowleygrandact73
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Who prefers the feel of inserting a USB-C compared to a Lightning? I know change is good, but so is that nice click. 
    DAalsethmike1
  • Reply 4 of 12
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Who prefers the feel of inserting a USB-C compared to a Lightning? I know change is good, but so is that nice click. 
    Do you like to stand there plugging it in over and over again just to relive the feeling you had the first time you felt the click? Maybe Apple can figure out how to simulate “the click” with haptics if enough people complain. 

grandact73
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Japhey said:
    Do you like to stand there plugging it in over and over again just to relive the feeling you had the first time you felt the click? Maybe Apple can figure out how to simulate “the click” with haptics if enough people complain. 

#ClickGate, brilliant! Bring back the click with haptics, brilliant!
  • Reply 6 of 12
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    DAalseth said:
    The EU will be blamed by many but I have a feeling that Apple has been intending to make the switch itself for some years anyway. 
    I agree.  The dock connector was around for 12 years, if Apple had killed Lightning too quickly they would have faced even more criticism for rapid obsolescence than they get for not adopting USB-C; they were stuck between a rock and a hard place. Now that Lightning just passed its 10 year anniversary I think Apple are seeing the pressure move very much more into the adopt USB-C direction. Regulatory attention is just the icing on the cake for the transition.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    Wireless charging isn’t that good for the battery - it generates more heat. A wireless charger uses more power to completely charge a smartphone than a cable does.
    So if they choose to remove a connector altogether, it only further validated their “sustainability” is just another marketing move.
    As if charging a phone is anywhere close to even a rounding error in energy consumption, so no one should have concerns about "sustainability", and if they do have concerns, maybe just consider reducing use.

While wireless charging is less efficient, it is reliably reported that Apple's Magsafe charging is only 15% to 20% less efficient than wired charging, due primarily to the precise alignment of Magsafe, and that alone greatly reduces heat during charge cycles. Not perfect, but nothing to be concerned about for most iPhone users.

edited October 2022
  • Reply 8 of 12
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    crowley said:
    DAalseth said:
    I agree.  The dock connector was around for 12 years, if Apple had killed Lightning too quickly they would have faced even more criticism for rapid obsolescence than they get for not adopting USB-C; they were stuck between a rock and a hard place. Now that Lightning just passed its 10 year anniversary I think Apple are seeing the pressure move very much more into the adopt USB-C direction. Regulatory attention is just the icing on the cake for the transition.
    My primary concern is not with USB-C right now. My issue is with any legal requirements mandating a particular connector as a matter of law. What happens when something better is developed but implementation is constrained by outdated mandates?

• Reply 9 of 12
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Just go portless.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    mike1 said:
    crowley said:
    DAalseth said:
    My primary concern is not with USB-C right now. My issue is with any legal requirements mandating a particular connector as a matter of law. What happens when something better is developed but implementation is constrained by outdated mandates?
    The EU won’t be able to have it until the legislation is reconsidered.  Not sure what the concern is, that’s the entire point of the legislation: to prevent fragmentation.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Or I believe the manufacturers could ship a device with two charging methods, USB-C and the new one. I think that’s ok by the regulation. Apple could ship a dual port Lightning and USB-C iPhone if they wanted.