Teens are still excited about iPhone & Apple Watch, less so about VR

Posted:
in Apple Watch
A survey of American teens makes it clear that the next generation is still super-excited about the iPhone, and more and more of them are strapping an Apple Watch to their wrist.

Analyst firm Piper Sandler's biannual survey of teenagers in America shows that iPhone ownership is holding at 87% since its last report. Teen iPhone purchase intent also remains at 88%.

Apple Watch ownership has gone up by 1% since early 2022 and is now at 31%. The percentage of teenagers surveyed who intend to buy an Apple Watch has risen 2% to 16%.

The Watch figures are a significant increase since the late 2021 survey's report of 25% Watch ownership, with a 14% intention to buy.

"Both the 87% iPhone ownership and 88% intention to purchase an iPhone metrics are near record highs for our survey." say the company in its full report "We believe the elevated penetration and intention are important given the mature premium smartphone market."

"Additionally, these trends are encouraging as the company continues to introduce new iPhones, which could provide a significant product cycle refresh," continued the report. "We think these positive trends can also be a catalyst for further services growth as well, as the install base for Apple hardware continues to grow."

Source: Piper Sandler
Source: Piper Sandler

One statistic that went down since the last report, was the percentage of teenagers using VR. That was at 17% in the early 2022 survey, but has now fallen to 14%.

There was a similar decrease in the percentage of teens either currently using Apple's Private Relay for privacy reasons, or interested in doing so within the next six months. In the first half of 2022, Piper Sandler reported that as being 41%, but has now dipped slightly to 39%.

Piper Sandler surveyed 14,500 teenagers from across 47 states. Their average age was 15.8, while their household's average income was $66,497.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    So they understand quality and value. Plus they know when someone is using hyperbole and vagaries to sell something that is of questionable value. THIS is why I am very optimistic about the younger generations. 
    byronlstarof80muthuk_vanalingamopiniontwokatmewdoozydozendewmemacplusplusFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    opinionopinion Posts: 103member
    Yes, to make market research is most of the time a good idea.
    edited October 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    I love Apple Watch! I can't imagine my life without it!
    Madbumwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,853member
    How can you do VR, and be bad at AAA gaming?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    opinion said:
    Yes, to make market research is most of the time a good idea.

Actually Apple is very famous for *NOT* using market research to design its products and services.

Remember that these are results from a Piper Sandler survey not Apple.
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    danox said:
    How can you do VR, and be bad at AAA gaming?

Because many VR usage cases aren't gaming?

Besides, Apple is likely to start with AR not VR. They aren't the same.

My guess is that Apple's first AR product -- as another wearable -- will have more usage cases related to health and fitness versus gaming. Maybe some sort of HUD for cycling? Hiking? Snowboarding? Kayaking? Skateboarding?
    edited October 2022 FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    My 13 year old Nephew says he does not see one single android phone in his school
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Madbum said:
    My 13 year old Nephew says he does not see one single android phone in his school

Oh, there are Androids in his classroom. Teens are highly impressionable and status conscious; those who own them might be too embarrassed to pull them out. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    DAalseth said:
    So they understand quality and value. Plus they know when someone is using hyperbole and vagaries to sell something that is of questionable value. THIS is why I am very optimistic about the younger generations. 
    Setting the bar pretty low there, no?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Let’s see what this survey looks like a year from now, after we (hopefully) have an XR product from Apple to hold in our hands. In the meantime, if teens’ subpar experiences with the current crop of VR devices leads to a wait and see approach when Apple releases theirs, that could make it easier for us early adopters to grab one on release day. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 617member
    VR is just like the Web3 promises of greatness but cannot be explained without massive complexity, vagueness, hand waving and the hope that no one will ask questions. 
    FileMakerFellermuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Japhey said:
    DAalseth said:
    Setting the bar pretty low there, no?
    And yet still better than the alternative!
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 13
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,282member
    The only reason teens in my household have any computery thing that isn’t Apple is gaming. There’s a PS5 and a windows gaming pc. Otherwise it’s all apple. 

I’m still hoping to see apple get more seriously into gaming (I’ve been saying that for about 30 years).
    watto_cobra