Octane X and DaVinci Resolve for iPad coming in 2022

Posted:
in iPad
Video & 3D production on the 2022 iPad Pro will become more viable in the future, with both Octane X and DaVinci Resolve heading to the tablet.

[Apple]
[Apple]

Many creative professionals have clamored for pro-level tools to be produced for the iPad. Apple's promotional video for the iPad and iPad Pro indicates that some are on the way.

YO OCTANE X IS COMING TO IPAD pic.twitter.com/WMsxBfNf41

-- Saad Ism. (@Saad_IsmaiI)

The video, published to YouTube shortly after launch, mentions that DaVinci Resolve for iPad and Octane X will be available to use.

DaVinci Resolve for iPad is a video editing tool, which Apple's voiceover says can also be used for color correction. Octane X will offer "state-of-the-art cinematic 3D rendering" on the tablet.

Small print visible in the video states the two software packages will be available "later this year."

The new iPad Pro models include the M2 chip, which offers enhanced video features such as the Media Engine. This consists of dedicated hardware encoders and decoders for ProRes and other major video codecs, speeding up production.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    This is exciting. People who say that the iPad isn’t a computer (just as they used to say about laptops) are having less excuses to do so as time goes in.
    danoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 18
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,266member
    melgross said:
    This is exciting. People who say that the iPad isn’t a computer (just as they used to say about laptops) are having less excuses to do so as time goes in.
    If the software is made for it, the iPad is most definitely is a very good computer.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 18
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,053member
    So this begs the question, when will we see Final Cut Pro on the iPad?
    CluntBaby92bloggerblogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 18
    This is really cool and all but I’m still SHOCKED we didn't get FCP on iPad before Resolve. And no, I don’t count iMovie 😂
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 18
    I’m a one man artist, currently I’m working on making my own 3d rendered music videos. iPad has helped me make music , covers , higher quality reels , and soon better quality effects. I wish I had anyone to help me make material but so far all I needed was my iPad. Usually people who say they’re trash don’t do nothing on them. They don’t even use ssh at the bare minimum. But iPads are computers I love mine, can’t wait to buy and learn this expensive software tho this is game changing 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 18
    tbh, I have a hard time justifying purchasing another iPad. I am not an artist, where the iPad seems to do very well, but I am a designer and find it hard to use an iPad for anything longer than 30min, usually web browsing or using an app that has a better experience on it like Redfin. The nagging question is: if I need a keyboard, a stand, and cover combo for my iPad and end up paying over a grand why not just buy a MBP.
    Hopefully other industries can show us how iPads can make laptops obsolete, but for now I see it as an accessory to a Mac. It would be a shame to see such a great idea go to waste, reminiscent to the Newton days.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 18
    JinTech said:
    Let DaVinci Resolve have it’s day in the sun, it’s good for the third party developers…….they are one of the best developers on the Mac and now iOS.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 18
    This is really cool and all but I’m still SHOCKED we didn't get FCP on iPad before Resolve. And no, I don’t count iMovie 😂
    I’m not….
    CluntBaby92
  • Reply 9 of 18
    AniMillAniMill Posts: 188member
    After Effects, C4D and Redshift please.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 18
    thttht Posts: 5,608member
    Waiting on Terminal.app. Just put it in a VM, run DarwinOS in it, and provide a way for Files to access the files in the VM and vice versa. They I prefer it would be native.

At a future date, when everyone is running MS 365 in the browser, and if Terminal.app is available, I could use an iPad Pro for work.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 18
    danox said:
    JinTech said:
    Let DaVinci Resolve have it’s day in the sun, it’s good for the third party developers…….they are one of the best developers on the Mac and now iOS.
    Agreed. 
    watto_cobrajellybelly
  • Reply 12 of 18
    danox said:
    melgross said:
    If the software is made for it, the iPad is most definitely is a very good computer.
    This is what has happened with every generation of new computer types. Mini computers weren’t considered real computers by mainframe users. Workstations weren’t considered real computers by mini computer users. Personal computers weren’t either. Then laptops were considered toys, and then, iPads…it’s all silliness.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    True but to fair to all parties, at the time they made those comments, it was true. When the iPad came out it was not a replacement for a computer, fast forward how many years and yes today it pretty much is. Same for minicomputers, work stations, desktop, laptops, smartphones and even watches,

I will say, that Casio watches surprised me considering that Casio didn’t become the leader here! I remember and even had a Casio watch in the 1990’s that had contacts, phone numbers, calculator, etc on it, we are talking two decades before the iWatch (which still doesn’t impress me!)

melgross said:
    danox said:
    melgross said:
    This is what has happened with every generation of new computer types. Mini computers weren’t considered real computers by mainframe users. Workstations weren’t considered real computers by mini computer users. Personal computers weren’t either. Then laptops were considered toys, and then, iPads…it’s all silliness.

• Reply 14 of 18
    Apple insider, please test your forum out on the iPhone, quoting and replying to people is a headache. Example above, I had to post my comment in the quoted section above the other people comments… ugh!
  • Reply 15 of 18
    So here’s a look at Resolve for the iPad by videographer Michael Tobin:

https://youtu.be/umfbjoEAwAs
  • Reply 16 of 18
    netling said:
    Apple insider, please test your forum out on the iPhone, quoting and replying to people is a headache. Example above, I had to post my comment in the quoted section above the other people comments… ugh!
    It’s an absolute nightmare. I second this notion. 
  • Reply 17 of 18
    netling said:
    True but to fair to all parties, at the time they made those comments, it was true. When the iPad came out it was not a replacement for a computer, fast forward how many years and yes today it pretty much is. Same for minicomputers, work stations, desktop, laptops, smartphones and even watches,

I will say, that Casio watches surprised me considering that Casio didn’t become the leader here! I remember and even had a Casio watch in the 1990’s that had contacts, phone numbers, calculator, etc on it, we are talking two decades before the iWatch (which still doesn’t impress me!)

melgross said:
    danox said:
    melgross said:

It wasn’t true when they made those comments. A computer can do specific things. It is a computer, even if all the software to make it useful to most people isn’t out yet.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    netling said:

melgross said:
    danox said:
    melgross said:

It was never true. Just because software has to catch up with the hardware doesn’t mean that it’s not a computer. It just means that it’s a computer with less software.

the Casio was terrible. Really terrible. It did have some of those functions, yes, but using them was very difficult. I almost bought one, but decided not to after a friend did and out it in a draw after a couple of weeks. I also disagree about the Watch. I’ve had them for over seven years now, and they’re really very good. It seems that most every writer agrees as do the many tens of million who have been buying them. I suppose there always has to be a few who don’t agree though.