YouTube Premium Family Plan gets a big price hike

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2022
Apple users who are paying for the YouTube Premium Family Plan via in-app purchase will see a substantial price hike on top of an already steep increase for the service.

YouTube has begun informing customers that they will see a price hike on YouTube Premium family subscriptions starting November 21. The subscription will jump from $17.99 to $22.99.

However, it seems that those who subscribe through the App Store will be hit even harder. Instead of paying $22.99 per month, they'll pay $29.99 per month.

YouTube passing apple's cut onto the consumer pic.twitter.com/S88zVRNY85

-- Ghost of Xcode Builds Future (@steveriggins)

For many years, YouTube has been charging Apple customers paying with in-app purchases extra for YouTube Premium. The company is now explicitly saying that that it charges more to offset the 30% or 15% cut Apple takes from in-app purchases.

This may be the first time that the company is clear in the subscription dialog that the service is cheaper on the website itself, though.

YouTube was testing a program where it limited 4K video to Premium subscribers. That test has been stopped without any clarity from the service what its future intentions are regarding 4K video.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Well that’s rich since Google Play charges the same 30% Apple does.
    gregoriusmchiadavgregzeus423watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 16
    lkrupp said:
    YouTube is Google.  Why would they charge themselves 30%?
    baconstang
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Thank you Google, Alphabet or whatever you call yourself these days.  You gave me an excuse for my family to send a financial message right back to you by canceling you for unfairly censoring the conservative voice.  I prefer Rumble now anyway like many conservatives.  I’m sure your 1984 Orwellian Agenda to make everyone think like you is worth it to lose your conservative paying customers right?  Enjoy your lighter wallet.  Paypal I’m sure is enjoying it too.  I closed my account there a few days ago.  Now please increase the price of YouTube TV so we can make it a trifecta. 
    Japheyzeus423docno42watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 16
    ciacia Posts: 267member
    steveusc said:
    Thank you Google, Alphabet or whatever you call yourself these days.  You gave me an excuse for my family to send a financial message right back to you by canceling you for unfairly censoring the conservative voice.  I prefer Rumble now anyway like many conservatives.  I’m sure your 1984 Orwellian Agenda to make everyone think like you is worth it to lose your conservative paying customers right?  Enjoy your lighter wallet.  Paypal I’m sure is enjoying it too.  I closed my account there a few days ago.  Now please increase the price of YouTube TV so we can make it a trifecta. 
    Lol snowflake got triggered.

/edit. Although you joined these forums in 2014 and only once have posted?  How's that work?
    edited October 2022 xyzzy01ldenningchiatwokatmewFred257watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 16
    xyzzy01xyzzy01 Posts: 142member
    lkrupp said:
    It's entirely reasonable, just as it would be for Apple charging extra for Apple Music if paid through Google Play.
    ldenningwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 16
    So what’s weird about this, is that the YouTube Premium plan is $15.99 irrespective of whether you sign up through Apple or the Google/YouTube web site…
  • Reply 7 of 16
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,023member
    Unfortunately I can’t send a message to Google.  I can’t cancel something I’d never sign up for in the first place.

zeus423docno42watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 16
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,318member

The 30% cut is a looking more and more greedy by the day. I'm in favour of Apple getting a cut, but much lower for subscriptions.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    amar99amar99 Posts: 181member
    Thankfully Adblock Plus is free. I can't imagine paying anything for YouTube.
    docno42watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    I will cancel my Premium subscription when they raise the subscription fee without any added value. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 16
    I could not justify the old price let alone the new price.  So tired of profit greed to appease shareholders.  Just saw the article on Netflix getting pressured to add ads because of shareholder pressure.  I vote with my pocket book, cancel the service, and make them rethink their move.  Money speaks louder than tweets!  
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 16
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,046member
    As someone who subscribes to both YouTube TV and Premium, I would like to ask the simple question why YouTube TV subs do not get YouTube Premium as part of the package.
    The other gripe is that Premium is supposed to be ad free, but many content creators include “ sponsor” messages that are ads.

Would love to see Apple introduce a competitor for YouTube.
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 16
    steveusc said:

Of course a trump idiot shows up blathering nonsense. 

dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 16
    dutchlord said:
    I will cancel my Premium subscription when they raise the subscription fee without any added value. 
    In adition, I can barely tolerate the bugs and awfuil UI. Sadly I can tolerate the low budget scammy advertisements even less.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 16
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,563member
    dutchlord said:
    I hear 'ya. I stopped buying gas and eggs for the same reason. 
    dewme
  • Reply 16 of 16
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,563member
    dutchlord said:
    Gosh, and now Apple is raising their subscription prices too without adding value. You've got a LOT of subscription canceling to do.