United Airlines celebrates over a decade of success implementing Apple technology

Posted:
in General Discussion
United Airlines has shared that its implementation of custom apps and Apple hardware such as the iPad, has made notable differences in day-to-day operations.

United Airlines pilots utilize custom iPad apps
United Airlines pilots utilize custom iPad apps

Apple has a business website that collects success stories by corporations big and small thanks to implementing Apple hardware. The latest success is from United Airlines utilizing Apple technology for more than a decade.

According to the website, United Airlines has over 120,000 Apple devices deployed across its 85,000 employees. The company has implemented custom apps for iPhone and iPad across its divisions to save time and money.

Maintenance techs use Touch ID on iPad to authorize Maintenance Release Documents. United Airlines is the first airline to digitize this process with approval from the FAA thanks to Touch ID.

That simple change saves 10 minutes per maintenance check, which has translated to 13 million minutes saved since the feature was implemented.

Gate check and in-flight attendants have access to custom apps that speed up the boarding process. Also, the apps let customers make requests directly to the attendant.

Pilots take advantage of the SkyPath app to plan flights and ensure air traffic and turbulence are minimized. The accelerometer built into the iPad gives pilots real-time turbulence data.

"iPad is the most essential piece of equipment we use every day," says Mansur Zia, Lead Line Technician at United Airlines. "It brings the whole airline -- flight crews, flight attendants, customer service, maintenance -- together."

United Airlines has come a long way from implementing 11,000 iPads in 2011 just to go paperless. Apple regularly updates its business website with stories about companies' success using Apple products.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Microsoft Surface the choice of NFL for playing games. iPad the choice of United Airlines when people’s lives are at stake. 
    edited October 2022 viclauyycjas99fred1racerhomie3marklarkqwerty52watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    JP234 said:
    Given my experience with United Airlines (I fly out of O'Hare), I can only wonder how bad their customer service would be if they didn't have Apple Tech. Because right now, it stinks. Any other business who treated their customers the way airlines do would fold in a week, and United is the worst (I don't fly Cheapo Air).
    Oh give us a break. Just like cellular providers for every one like yourself who trashes them there’s another one who is satisfied. United Airlines sucks, no Southwest sucks, no Delta sucks, no AT&T sucks, no Verizon sucks, no I left T-Mobile because they suck, no I’ll never fly American again EVER... because they suck. And I won’t buy Firestone tires because.................... they screwed me thirty years ago.
    edited October 2022 qwerty52watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    lkrupp said:
    JP234 said:
    Given my experience with United Airlines (I fly out of O'Hare), I can only wonder how bad their customer service would be if they didn't have Apple Tech. Because right now, it stinks. Any other business who treated their customers the way airlines do would fold in a week, and United is the worst (I don't fly Cheapo Air).
    Oh give us a break. Just like cellular providers for every one like yourself who trashes them there’s another one who is satisfied. United Airlines sucks, no Southwest sucks, no Delta sucks, no AT&T sucks, no Verizon sucks, no I left T-Mobile because they suck, no I’ll never fly American again EVER... because they suck. And I won’t buy Firestone tires because.................... they screwed me thirty years ago.
    So, just “shut-up and bend over” I guess? ;-)
    OferJP234watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    "The accelerometer built into the iPad gives pilots real-time turbulence data."

I don't get it...
    Hopefully planes have far better accelerometers/gyroscopes than iPads.
    How could an iPad provide pilots with more/better real-time data?
    Could anyone enlighten me?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7

I don't get it...

That’s the surprising thing about good consumer tech, it’s often better than established CAA approved in-plane tech. Planes also don’t need the detailed accelerometer info that iPads collect. That can be used to improve comfort for passengers (by, I guess, re-routing), but the plane itself is built to withstand rough weather.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7

I don't get it...

Each company iPad in all UAL airplanes in the air has an app going that monitors the gyro (in the iPad) and in real time, relays that turbulence data (over the internet connection) to a server and to all our other planes... (other airlines are part of this too, but I couldn't say who is or isn't using it).
    So in real-time, we can see what the ride is like for an airplane 100 miles ahead of us at the same (or different) altitudes (or anywhere around the globe)... and make adjustments accordingly to either find a better ride, or to avoid areas of know turbulence.  (Though in all fairness, it's sometimes so widespread, there's just no way of avoiding it.)

appleinsideruser