Apple TV drops 'Up Next' in new design rolling out to users

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited November 2022
Not all users are seeing this change yet, but Apple TV is no longer showing the familiar "Up Next" selection of titles in its eponymous app at the top.

A key feature of the Apple TV app on the Apple TV 4K, and all previous versions, has been the "Up Next" list. It lists the next episode of series that users have been following, giving them quick access to resume binge-watching.

A number of users including AppleInsider staff are reporting that "Up Next" has relocated, and a promotional list called "Featured" has taken its place. You now have to scroll down to view your "Up Next" titles.

At the same time, Apple has seemingly replaced the key art for many TV shows with a still frame from the episode. Some may welcome this change but it does make quickly identifying the show a bit less obvious.

Notably, this redesign is reportedly not confined to users who have updated to the latest tvOS.

Apple has not announced or commented on the redesign, and the current support documentation still refers to the "Up Next" feature.

For a feature that seems simple to create, as well as convenient to use, though, "Up Next" has had problems. At times when a user has watched, say, episode 2 of a series, it's been known to recommend they watch episode 1 next.

Also, each title in the "Up Next" list includes an image from the show, and at times that image has been wrong. Although quite rare, that suggests that there have been issues with the creation of meta data for the feature, most likely coming from the channels sending data to the Apple TV app.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    “Up next” has not been removed it has just moved below the featured list. 
    lolliverAlex1NFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    That would be a shame. I really hope this isn't true long term. It really is the go-to section of the app for me. Just like  Netflix's "Continue Watching", only this was better.
    If you watched a show outside of the app, you could tell Up Next, that the episode was already watched and it would present the next one.
    Netflix does not allow you to do that.
    appleinsideruserlolliverAlex1NFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Right after an update, my Up Next disappeared. I waited a little while, I think I unloaded the app and then reloaded it, and the Up Next came back. I don’t know if maybe this was a glitch, or maybe I had a slow Internet at the time, but the feature came back. I hope they keep it. I like the Up Next. I wish Netflix was part of it. 
    lolliverAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I wish they would add a Live TV Guide that pulls together a list of what's streaming now from all your subscribed sources like Hulu, Philo etc.  Would be awesome if they could include OTA content for your locals if you have HDHomeRun as well.  This is something that FireTV is already doing.
    cypresstree
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Agree w/ Mike1, up next is central to the way i use the app as well.  I’m hoping the featured section isn’t a harbinger for future ad placements in the Apple TV interface above and beyond the promotions already done
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Everyone calm down. This is a setting that can be changed in Apps-> TV. 
    appleinsideruserlolliverdrdavidAlex1NFileMakerFellerflashfan207Hank2.0tenthousandthingswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    I only found “up next” annoying. Not as annoying s always getting hip hop suggested to me in Apple Music, but still. 
    Maybe becuase I have ended my ATV+ subscRiption.

Alex1NJanNL
  • Reply 8 of 10
    tugttw said:
    Everyone calm down. This is a setting that can be changed in Apps-> TV. 
    Oh joy! Good first post. Now how do I stop auto play of content as I browse in the appletv+ tab? That’s so annoying…
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,319member
    mike1 said:
    That would be a shame. I really hope this isn't true long term. It really is the go-to section of the app for me. Just like  Netflix's "Continue Watching", only this was better.
    If you watched a show outside of the app, you could tell Up Next, that the episode was already watched and it would present the next one.
    Netflix does not allow you to do that.
    Yes apps have such woeful continue watching sections that the AppleTV Up next is the only reliable way to get back to the show. 
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Up Next is still at the top for me. This is a good thing because I view Up Next as crucial. That’s how I know there is a new season of Acapulco. The new season showed up in Up Next. This section is by far the most important section for me.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra