Bad Bunny named Apple Music Artist of the Year 2022

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Previously singled out as an Apple Music Up Next artist, Bad Bunny is now Artist of the Year for having created what Apple says is the biggest Latin album of all time.

Apple has been awarding an Artist of the Year since 2019, and previous recipients have included The Weeknd and Billie Eilish.

In previous years, Apple has singled out several musicians under categories such as Global Artist of the Year, and breakthrough artist. So far for 2022, Apple has chosen to single out solely Bad Bunny.

"We're thrilled to celebrate the achievements of Bad Bunny, whose influence on every corner of culture could not be ignored in 2022," Oliver Schusser, Apple's vice president of Apple Music and Beats, said in a statement.

"Watching Bad Bunny ascend from an Apple Music Up Next artist in 2018 to our Artist of the Year this year has been nothing short of extraordinary," continued Schusser. "We congratulate him on his record-breaking year and for continuing to bring Latin music to a massive global audience."

Apple Music spotlights Bad Bunny

Apple Music has a new dedicated Bad Bunny page, recounting the story of his rise to having the most-streamed album of 2022. The page also includes a new video about the artist, which Bad Bunny page">is available in the Apple Music app and online.

"When I started, I didn't have a global fan base," Bad Bunny says in the new video. "I'm grateful for everything I've accomplished and everything I've experienced."

"The Latin music movement has grown so much," he continued. "I would never take full credit or say, 'It's because of me.' No, it's every one of us. A whole generation. Our energy and presence is always felt."

"Thank you to Apple Music and to all the people who listen to my music every day," said Bad Bunny. "I'm super happy!"

Apple Music 1 is playing "all Bad Bunny, all day," with a series of "new specials, archived programming, early career interviews, and playlists."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Who? Never heard of him lol
    Japheyjeffharris
  • Reply 2 of 15
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    I’m guessing he just isn’t my style, not a name I’ve ever heard.
    CluntBaby92
  • Reply 3 of 15
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,120member
    Lisa: I hate to be a killjoy, but do you really think we can win playing "Stars and Stripes Forever"? It's so beginner band, and we're advanced beginner band.
    Ralph: This is band?
    Mr. Largo: Very well, Lisa. What rousing Sousa march would you have us play?
    Lisa: Well, I thought maybe, for once, we could play a song that wasn't written by Sousa.
    Largo: You mean something just arranged by Sousa?
    lolliver
  • Reply 4 of 15
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    mknelson said:
    Lisa: I hate to be a killjoy, but do you really think we can win playing "Stars and Stripes Forever"? It's so beginner band, and we're advanced beginner band.
    Lisa: Well, I thought maybe, for once, we could play a song that wasn't written by Sousa.
    Quite an arrogant and presumptive post from a grown man making cartoon references, no? I actually had to look it up, because like Bad Bunny, I’ve never heard of any of those people either. 
  • Reply 5 of 15
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    Japhey said:
    mknelson said:
    Quite an arrogant and presumptive post from a grown man making cartoon references, no? I actually had to look it up, because like Bad Bunny, I’ve never heard of any of those people either. 
    I'm always amazed at how "having heard of something" is used as a measurement by so many people. I'm constantly in search of great things I've never heard of before, and could care less how much money has been pumped into putting them in front of eyeballs/on the tips of tongues.
    edited November 2022 mknelsonlolliverpscooter63
  • Reply 6 of 15
    I don't like his music, but I've definitely heard of him. You have a HUGE HUGE pop culture blind spot if you have never heard of Bad Bunny. Not that that's necessarily bad, I just wouldn't recommend that you participate in any trivia nights or game shows.
    edited November 2022 mknelsonlolliverpscooter63pulseimages
  • Reply 7 of 15
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,120member
    auxio said:
    Japhey said:
    mknelson said:
    I'm always amazed at how "having heard of something" is used as a measurement by so many people. I'm constantly in search of great things I've never heard of before, and could care less how much money has been pumped into putting them in front of eyeballs/on the tips of tongues.
    Especially when the Simpson's is on Season 34, started in 1989, and the Sousa reference is from Season 11. But your point is exactly what I was trying to tease!

I don't believe I've heard any Bad Bunny, but I've heard of Bad Bunny. Congrats to him on winning he award!
    lolliver
  • Reply 8 of 15
    sbdudesbdude Posts: 255member
    I, like so many others, have never heard of Bad Bunny, but I'm hardly a bellwether. That said, I am surprised he hasn't been canceled for the cornrows.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    I don't like his music, but I've definitely heard of him. You have a HUGE HUGE pop culture blind spot if you have never heard of Bad Bunny. Not that that's necessarily bad, I just wouldn't recommend that you participate in any trivia nights or game shows.
    Reference to one of my favourite quotes in High Fidelity: is it pop culture which determines the trivia questions or is it the trivia questions which determine pop culture?
  • Reply 10 of 15
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Yeah, and he wrestles on WWE too from time to time. Where have you been?
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Japhey said:
    mknelson said:
    Climb out from under your rock every once in a while. 
    applebynaturelolliverjeffharrispscooter63
  • Reply 12 of 15
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Japhey said:
    mknelson said:
    If not knowing Bad Bunny or all the Simpsons characters is your definition of living under a rock…
    edited November 2022
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Japhey said:
    Japhey said:
    mknelson said:
    If not knowing Bad Bunny or all the Simpsons characters is your definition of living under a rock…
    Just you. 
    jeffharris
  • Reply 14 of 15
    mrshowmrshow Posts: 164member
    BlackPink was robbed.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Bad Who?